• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lever Rifle vs M14

How come under same conditions, level 5 sharpshooter and hard difficulty, lever rifle kills clot with one bullet anywhere on the body while for M14 it takes 2 bullets?

That is not true. Im at lvl4 sharpsooter (500 HS tonight, then lvl5) I use M-14 whenever possible. And I kill cloth with both weapons using only one bullet. Siren dies in 1 bullet too ;D (if direct headshot) Scrake needs about 10 bullets with M-14.

Upvote 0
M14 is really more for close-up killings on the move thanks to the laser, it takes to much adjusting to kill from ironsights. You are never quite sure what will give headshots when using ironsights.

Of course, it would be a different story all together if it had scope like SCAR and vice-versa if SCAR had the laser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M14 is really more for close-up killings on the move thanks to the laser, it takes to much adjusting to kill from ironsights. You are never quite sure what will give headshots when using ironsights.

Of course, it would be a different story all together if it had scope like SCAR and vice-versa if SCAR had the laser.

don't nuke the scar.

Upvote 0
The simple fact that the M14 has 20 in a mag, 14 reserve makes it a better choice. But to get the style points I use the LAR, makes me feel like Ash from Army of Darkness. HAIL TO THE KING BABY!!!

I used the M14 a lot in COD4 and it feels very similar in the way it fires, and the iron sights. So I'm glad it doesn't have a red dot sight on it.

Upvote 0
They're not going for realism if there are cloned freaks parading the streets of London imo.

ey you don't know what there going for if your a dev I would accept your statement. your not so will take your opinion on the fact that the game may not be designed for realism. And you can also assume that the game is realistic because if it wasn't then why do they have real guns and not THE ULTRA PLASMA BAZOOKA to kill zombies?

Upvote 0
ey you don't know what there going for if your a dev I would accept your statement. your not so will take your opinion on the fact that the game may not be designed for realism. And you can also assume that the game is realistic because if it wasn't then why do they have real guns and not THE ULTRA PLASMA BAZOOKA to kill zombies?
Tripwire made RO. If they wanted realism then they would put it in. They are aware of unrealistic gun workings in this game.

Upvote 0
I think balance and fun takes the main focus for the devs in Killing Floor. Realism is a consideration, but takes a backseat to fun and the balance of the game.

It would be very unbalanced if the M14 was an automatic, shot faster, reloaded faster, used clips, had a laser sight... AND dealed more damage per shot than the Lever Action Rifle. The LAR sees too little use as it is. No need to steal all its glory.

I think TWI takes the right direction by putting balance and fun factor over realism. TWI already made a super realistic shooter (RO), and while it's an excellent game, that level of realism would not suit many games, and definitely not a co-op survival horror game.

Upvote 0
Yeah I was also wondering how on earth I could suddenly decap fleshies in 2 shots with the good olde LAR (on solo though).
Good to see its shots are actually stronger than those of the ultra-shiny-new-supergun now if only it had more ammo going for it, it could actually *somewhat* compete with the m14.
Btw is it just me or did handcannons get weaker?
I spray 2 clips of my dualies right in the face of a fleshie on solo normal and it still wants to make sweet love to me.

Upvote 0
Yeh I wud liek such a bazooka lasur forr burning holes in specimans face LAWL

On a more serious note, what Zombie games have you played where there are No Real Weapons? Does that mean EVERY zombie game has to be mega-uber-super-ultra realistic? If so, Dead Rising must be completely ****e if they have something as farfetched and unrealistic as a chainsaw-clad motorbike..........

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The simple fact that the M14 has 20 in a mag, 14 reserve makes it a better choice. But to get the style points I use the LAR, makes me feel like Ash from Army of Darkness. HAIL TO THE KING BABY!!!

I used the M14 a lot in COD4 and it feels very similar in the way it fires, and the iron sights. So I'm glad it doesn't have a red dot sight on it.

It's all about the magazine size, reload speed, ammo capacity, and rate of fire:

-The M-14 can squeeze off shots at probably triple the rate of the LAR
-The M-14 carries 20 rounds instead of 10 and loads them ALL in about 2 seconds, instead of one round every half a second or so.
-The M-14 has 300 rounds instead of 80!

The LAR is a very effective weapon for it's cost. If it had more ammo, it'd have to cost more and wouldn't be a "Just joined" weapon that you can buy with your spawn money, but if it did less damage, the Bullpup and Shotgun would make it look like crap.

As it is, it's a vicious weapon that deals with anything short of Scrakes in a single shot now that the hitboxes are dead-on. I've always been an advocate of the LAR and always will be!

Upvote 0
LAR is sweet, but I can't kill scrakes/FPs with a LAR and it's all but useless when surrounded.

When it's all said and done, it's the best weapon for killing clots/husks/crawlers for early in the game, nothing compares.

It doesn't make any sense that it's more powerful than the M-14 though, the M-14 carries a more powerful round.

Upvote 0