• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why so cheap?

I would like to point out that we are paying Less for games then Ever before, and games development has only gone up, way up. I was reading a article on price of games and read that Atari games at the time cost around 150 dollars todays money back then. So bascially we are paying half the price and getting skyrim instead of pac man.

This. Most people don't take inflation into account. I for one am not offended at the price of video games : they're at their lowest point historically.

Upvote 0
This. Most people don't take inflation into account. I for one am not offended at the price of video games : they're at their lowest point historically.

you ignore that the market has grown hugely and that profits for the videogame industry are at an all time high. And despite these record setting profits many companies decide to raise the price on pc games by 20%

Upvote 0
For a multiplayer focused title with no real singleplayer, I think the price is right. Don't hate on me because I said there is no singleplayer : it's a fact that it's the same as the multiplayer except with bots and some cutscenes at the beginning. If they would have had the budget or manpower to do a real singleplayer mode, I have no doubt this would be priced at 60$ like all other games.

I do not think anyone is mad that TWI made a single player game and not a movie that you have to follow the script. Don't you think that there are enough of those out there?

Upvote 0
It's sad that the aussies always get f***** on games prices :(
But you can always get the game from keys selling sites.

Il2 Clod, sold in Russia: $8 australian
Il2 Clod, sold on Australian website: $60 AU
Il2 Clod, EB games Australia: $90 AU

that's not the collectors edition by the way... that's the REGULAR version!

Thank you so much TWI for NOT doing this!!!!!

Upvote 0
you ignore that the market has grown hugely and that profits for the videogame industry are at an all time high. And despite these record setting profits many companies decide to raise the price on pc games by 20%

You don't get it. Each time they haven't raised the price, the price of video games has decreased. ~ 2-3% a year for like 25 years+ in a row. It's how inflation works.

I do not think anyone is mad that TWI made a single player game and not a movie that you have to follow the script. Don't you think that there are enough of those out there?

I'm not trying to hate on TW. I'm just stating that pricing a game 60$ with only a multiplayer mode would be insane.

Edit: Lol, hadn't thought of it, but I guess that's one of the reason BRINK failed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not trying to hate on TW. I'm just stating that pricing a game 60$ with only a multiplayer mode would be insane.

Edit: Lol, hadn't thought of it, but I guess that's one of the reason BRINK failed.

I dont think that the 3 hour singleplayer campaign of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 makes it worth 60 dollars too. They didnt even have to develope from scratch.

Upvote 0
I think it's priced the way it is because no-one, outside of the people who have played RO1 would put down €49,99 for a game they have heard little else about.

€30-something is much more 'friendlier' on the eyes, and will go a long way to helping people take a chance on a relatively unknown franchise, where they would not have done so were it more expensive.

Well even though I agree, I still think that's not the only reason.
I think TWI do not make games only for money, they actually want as many people as possible to play and enjoy a real PC game.
RO2 wasn't intended to be a kleenex/mac donald game like the other ones you can find out there.

Take BF nowadays or CoD Modern Warfare, those games are clearly intended to squeeze you out of your money and to bore you quickly so they can sell you another one a year later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Price does not often correlate with quality, greedy companies will tell you otherwise. But there are some who believe in giving their customers a good price for a good product because they are passionate about that product and want more people to use that product. In a sense the pricetag is part of the product.

Habits of the console gaming market have hiked up prices so much over the past few years. PC games always used to be around the price that RO2 is and DLC always used to be free. Now you have the younger generation born in the late 90's who are suckers for huge titles with huge prices and paid DLC.

Yes RO2 has a smaller budget, smaller development team and smaller costs to cover but I believe the product being delivered is worth as much as any AAA title and more. Generally developers who believe in the quality of their product price it more reasonably so more people can afford and enjoy it.

Reactions: Choice
Upvote 0