• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mixed feelings about bullet penetration?

Bullet penetration should be realistic...
Of course... in the research data table we have about 30 types of material, including brick, flesh, mud, different woods etc, working with the material density and hardness, vs. the round type, velocity, mass. You try finding the BHN of glass or gravel :)

So, yes, it will be realistic.

Upvote 0
Of course... in the research data table we have about 30 types of material, including brick, flesh, mud, different woods etc, working with the material density and hardness, vs. the round type, velocity, mass. You try finding the BHN of glass or gravel :)

This is why I love you guys.

Thanks for clearing it up even further.

Upvote 0

Nice! :)
I love that attention to detail. Also, i take from this that we can shoot through soldiers and kill people standing behind them?

Upvote 0
I find it hard enough as a rifleman to stop an MG player, not impossible, but very difficult in RO1. The suppression makes it impossible to shoot, so if they can shoot through everything they will be unstoppable.

That's part of the point on an MG: to cover an area in such a way that direct counterattack is difficult if not impossible. That way the MG denies an area to the enemy, hopefully providing some cover for friendly forces to operate under. The way to deal with an MG in RO (Ostfront or HoS) is the same as IRL; flank it and neutralize it from outside its arc of fire.

Upvote 0

Best news if heard in a while. ;)

Upvote 0
I find it hard enough as a rifleman to stop an MG player, not impossible, but very difficult in RO1. The suppression makes it impossible to shoot, so if they can shoot through everything they will be unstoppable. If you remove the cover for single shot players then it makes it really unbalanced I think. :( I just hope a lot of the materials are not penetrating on the first or even second pass.

bullets don't penetrate anything don't hide behind and thin wood and you should be fine

Upvote 0
I like the idea of bullet penetration, but on the other hand it could get ugly if people use it like nade spam and spray areas of the map that they know people are going to be in even before they see them.

That's the only problem with penetration in games - the map is the same every time and players will learn where to spray through the walls to get free kills without even seeing the enemies.

Upvote 0
Granted TWI is going to try and make it realistic, I don't think MG will be over powered with this feature. The machine gun is supposed to be extremely deadly.
Right now in RO1, as an MG you see a guy jump behind a thin wooden picket fence and all of a sudden it is "Damn, My MG can't penetrate a small wooden picket fence, what will I ever do?". You should be able to unleash hell and cut a big hole in that little fence, chew through the blades of grass on the other side and cut that enemy soldier to bits.

I think this thing is in the same league as a 25~ ton tank going to a dead stop when it gets caught on a farm house fence. It is simply one of those things that should be in game because it is logical.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of bullet penetration, but on the other hand it could get ugly if people use it like nade spam and spray areas of the map that they know people are going to be in even before they see them.

I won't complain about it since I've seen war footage where soldiers in Stalingrad would run down the street shooting walls of buildings just in case there were enemies inside.

It's just the way things were done, and should be done. Yeah it's cheap, but it's not like it will happen all the time.

Upvote 0