• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] Loss of Network

Hi,

first of all, nice game so far, even on my crappy old PC
fastshow
Today, I have been mostly.... looking at an empty server browser
/fastshow

It would appear that when I launch steam than then RO2 then enter multiplayer and server browser.. the server lists some servers, empty and populated, I then either click 1 to join or REFRESH and I loose network,
If I alt tab to Steam overlay and try to view a friends steam profile page I get the blank "your not connected" error test in the steam browser.

I exit RO2, open friends and try same profile page and it loads correctly.

Now I run Agnitum Outpost security suite firewall etc, I have repeated this a couple of times,
1st time in rules mode (default) so I get all teh popups telling me what it trying to communicate to and I OK'd all.

2nd time I set ROgame to ALLOW all traffic for this application.

The last time I repeated this I set the firewall into ALLOW ALL policy.

each time was same result.. either nothing appearing in server browser or if I right click a server and JOIN it tries to load but (paused) in blue appears in screen under RO2 pictures and it never joins the server.

If I try to use Steam friends to join a server it says server is not responding, and no JOIN button appears.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
If you need logs etc. just state here what you need and I'll post it.

Vik'

Online since '99.. RO since '04

I shuold have pointed out....

I shuold have pointed out....

I swapped out the master server files as per Yosh's sticky yesterday...

I have sice edited teh FW config to allow all teh 'anti-leak' controls..PU requests, process memory injection etc... appears to have made a little difference.. but I only get 1 chance at the server browser,, refresh doesnt appear to work..

I will get more details maybe tonight or tomorrow

Vik

Upvote 0
If you try to join someone from your Steam friends list, or finding someone from the RO2 Steam group who is in a game, does this still happen? At a guess the initial querying of the servers is causing your router to think it is under attack and stop any further connections for a period of time. Joining on a friend should stop that from happening, so if that works then it might be necessary to slow down the speed at which servers are listed.

Upvote 0
srsly, i cant be the only one. after the patch came out, i got this every single time i click on a server in the browser. i tried everything, forwarding ports, deactivated my firewall, i tried all the various fixes from this forum, nothing helped.
even if i try to connect by joining games of guys from the steamgroup... it always says server not responding. i have not been able to join ONE FRIGGIN game myself. the only way to play is to join a friend of mine, when he is on. strangely enough i cannot join other players.
this gets really frustrating and the fact that i lose my internet connection through this bug is even more frustrating. i have to wait up to 10 minutes to be online again.

(edit: skype works fine during this time, so im assuming that there must be some kind of connection^^)

sry for bad english, double post and my long rant, but this is really bugging me and i dont want it to be forgotten, thx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i got this too, somehow the game fouls up my dns ...
and its kinda gamebraking because it happens almost all the time i try to connect to a server.
Yep, same here. My router can become unresponsive if I do a full refresh of the server list. Have to pull the power on my router to reset it.

Would be nice to have an option slider to set how many simultaneous IPs are pinged so we can prevent DNS from being flooded and killed.

Router is a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 running DD-WRT. No problems like this experienced with any other game though I think I recall another game that had this issue until they patched how many servers it pinged at one time. Symptoms feel like it's a DNS packet flood, essentially, overwhelming the router's tables. Gotta limit how many IPs your server browser is hitting at once.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I get this as well, Ro2 and killing floor are the only games i play where this happens or has happened. Although Killing floor seemed to stop doing it sometime last year its still worth a mention, since both are tripwire games and are the only 2 games i have ever had this problem with.

For about 3-4 minutes Steam and Msn are the only things that work if i have a failed connection attempt on the browser list in game. Web pages wont load, nor will the server browser refresh, but somehow my messaging services stay up.

I will post my router details later if its any use, cant at the moment.

Upvote 0
this is causing me big trouble, as im barely able to play...

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010109949/screenshot/540652347969963982http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010109949/screenshot/540652347969963982
i keep getting stuck at this screen, f10 or esc dont work, i have to pull up the taskmanager. as soon as im on my desktop i get a message that ro2.exe has stopped working and for a few mins i got no connection to the interwebs...

Same.

EDIT: When I restart steam, sometimes I can connect to a server but once the loading screen finishes and the join screen comes up RO crashes. I could join, and play last night for extended periods (30-60mins) then I'd get a crash. But I can't even get in a game without a crash now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try using another DNS server like Google's(8.8.8.8), a lot of people have problems with their home routers DNS server.
AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri****alianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri****alianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
Detect language​

Upvote 0
I am having this problem as well. It used to happen when I was playing TF2 also. Game loses connection and my browser doesn't load web pages, but skype chatting still works.

I am on Verizon FiOS with a MI424WR Router.

It has only really happened once or twice over the past week or so and then happened just now after I patched. Seems to fix itself if I restart the router or wait for 3-5 minutes.

Hoping we can get a fix for this! I know I have other friends who are having this issue as well.

Upvote 0
same

same

Having the same issue. I can connect the first time, play, but if I try to disconnect and view the server browser again, I get no servers. I can alt-tab out and access the internet, and can quit the game and access the internet. But if I restart ro without restarting steam, still no servers. I've left the server browser screen sit for 10 minutes and still nothing comes up, not even if I hit refresh. I have to quit the game, quit steam to resolve it, or power cycle my router.

Router is Netgear WGR614v7
Hardware Version V7
Firmware Version V2.0.30_2.0.30NA

In the router config, I've clicked the box that says: Disable SPI Firewall
The description: The SPI (Stateful Packet Inpection) Firewall protects your LAN against Denial of Service attacks. This should only be disabled in special circumstances.

I thought maybe the server browser was getting responses from so many servers at once it thought there was a dos attack going on, but no. Disabling this feature does not help--I still see 0 servers.

Please help.

Upvote 0
Its not a firewall or router problem. I had it fixed before by using those MasterServers.vdf files.

But now after the patch, the problem of not being able to connect is back.

All my firewalls are down. Router and windows

Telnet 192.168.1.1
Username : root
Password : ******

{root}=>firewall
{root}[firewall]=>config state=disabled
{root}[firewall]=>config
:firewall config state=disabled keep=disabled tcpchecks=none udpchecks=enabled icmpchecks=enabled lo
gdefault=disabled logthreshold=enabled tcpwindow=65536
{root}[firewall]=>

w0qfr68oo.jpg

Rogame 2011 09 07 09 38 59 40 - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0