• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

tripwire, i'd like to sell you a car.

This is getting pretty ridiculous. I've been through more than my share of terrible releases. Releases that were either literally unplayable or so buggy you couldn't tell what was a bug and what wasn't. Releases where over 50% of the game's features - the ones actually listed on the box itself - were not just not working but actually not in the game at all. All of those games had the "car thread."

I've been pretty lucky in that most (not all) of those terrible releases eventually matured into good or very good games. In most of those games I was sort of on the side of the "whiners" except instead of adopting the "Omg the devs are stealing our money and running to mexico!" tone, I tried to go with the reasonable "This is a pretty big screwup and the dev's should have been more honest about the state of the game but as long as they don't abandon the game I'll stick with them." Frequently it wasn't the devs who were (mainly) at fault anyway so much as the publishers.

Anyway, point is I am a grizzled veteran of terrible releases. I know them when I see them. This isn't one of them. The game is feature complete unless you consider getting your "kill somebody" achievement 5 days late as the end of the world. The game runs ok - not great but ok - on most systems. The game is fun. None of the smgs shoot backwards. Save the apocalyptic tone for the next actual disaster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's pushing it to suggest 85% of RO2 owners (or 'licensees' if you prefer) are totally satisfied with the product in its current state. Taking a straw poll of your loyal fan base doesn't count.

Well that's the rub isn't it?
Most people will never comment on their satisfaction (or lack thereof) with a product.. it's pretty much a universal truth in the marketing world.
There will always be a vocal-minority.. (both ways I think.. I'm not a pro-social-media-web2.0-marketing-person).. it's true even in the internet age when it's alot easier to communicate with the vendor/community/etc.
For example: on steam alone I got around 150 titles.. some I love and still play.. some I played 10mins of and absolutely hated. For all those titles, I'm only even partially active in the communities of exactly 3, and I helped to create 2 of those in some capacity (so i've been on both sides of the Satisfaction fence). Maybe a peak of around 5 at some point in the past.

Getting REAL satisfaction numbers from your customers is just a plain PITA. There's a reason companies specialize in trying to do exactly that.

REGARDLESS of all that. I can say I know TWI enough to know they are working on the issues, and no developer can predict every issue. Of the few 'large scale release' MP titles I've played, most have had some pretty significant problems at release (cough EA's BF:BC2, for me anyway cough), but they eventually got resolved.
People creating multiple forum accounts or spending their free time just *****ing and moaning in new threads about an issue won't help to get it corrected any faster. In fact if a dev has to stop what they are doing and pop in here to say 'yes we know already' because people want 'dev responses', it actually hinders the effort.
If people TRUELY wanted to help get their problem resolved, they would settle down, create good reproduction accounts (as applicable), and try to be constructive.

/end rant

Upvote 0
What saddens me is that a few people here lack creativity and originality. Whenever they try and illustrate the uniqueness of the game, they say "it's not cod." Maybe a day will come when there isn't a single Call of Duty reference, but I doubt it. Can we not think of some other witty retort?

I'm also not really sure where this whole "console kiddies" thing comes from, or the general tendency to reduce criticism by saying the people complaining are kids who play console games. Where does this information come from? Most of use are probably adults or close to it. I mean, have an original thought. That joke wasn't even funny the first time. It certainly doesn't get any funnier over time, either.

I'm not really sure why this is so irritating to me. :confused: lol

Upvote 0
Did you bother to read the EULA? You are not purchasing a car, and you are not puchasing a game. You are purchasing the right to use the software. You are purchasing the right to use an intangible good, of which the developer has no obligation to support past a time of their discretion.

Tripwire has a good track record, and issues will be resolved with time.

Ever hear of companies completely ending support for the game and shutting down all servers rendering the game impossible to play?
Because it has happened....

The game is playable. Not sure what sort of issues you are having, but instead of ranting and moaning try posting a constructive response that actually talks about your issues.

Even if they're legally untouchable and nobody actually "owns" the game every customer still ought to be treated as if they did. After all you'd want to keep people happy so that they go on to buy your next product.

And I've too seen worse botched releases.

Beyond the bunch of bugs and myriad bad design decisions there's a decent game hidden somewhere, we'll just have a harder time looking for it.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This
Roztig死;882690 said:
Well it's a well know fact that some people complain just to complain, if you take close attention to a TWI post about the fixes they are putting out, you will then see a few people complaining about other things or see "it only took two days...). Yet they don't realize that they are working as fast as they can to fix all the bugs they can. There is only twenty four hours in a day and people want everything fixed now when in reality they can't, they are human beings just like you or me they have priorities of their own to deal with.

Now I know people can't be patient as that takes time to learn for some, but hang in there, Tripwire will get those fixes out as humanly possible just like with all their games. Then the awesome magical coated updates we've known and love will be just right around the corner. :)

Upvote 0
I would like to mention here another game that I bought right at release: Starfleet Command 2, back in 2000.

I would also like to note that it took TEN MONTHS OF PATCHING before that game was even marginally playable.

This game has practically zero issues, in the grand scheme of things. Quit ****ing whining. Tripwire is going to fix anything that's actually wrong with it.

Upvote 0
Roztig死;884458 said:

And thats it the "guys they are working really hard doing lots of overtime" arguement is now officially insulting.

How many time do i have to say this?

THEY DIDNT MAKE THIS GAME IN TWO WEEKS, THEY HAVE WORKED ON IT FOR YEARS. i DONT CARE ABOUT 90PLUS HOURS WORKED NOW. THAT WORK SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN BEFORE THEY EXPECTED ANYONE TO PAY FOR THIS *COUGH* BETA *COUGH* GAME

Reactions: Raquel
Upvote 0
i'd like to sell you a car.

*tripwire pays the money*

ok thanks, the car isn't working and it might be
tomorrow, or next week, or possibly even months
from now. you can't drive it until then,
and you can't have your money back.

that seem fair?
no, and there's lemon laws against this.
in fact consumer agencies protect people with nearly
every facet of purchases, but then there's software.
they can sell something that doesn't do what the box says.
and you are stuck.

i feel cheated, waiting for a game that was hyped up.
i would imagine your developers feel cheated too,
because this is like buying a painting with half the colors
on the canvas, not the intended project.

sure lots of games have released in buggy states.
does this make it ok? NO.
unacceptable.

in my opinion you guys should be thinking of a way
to handle damage control. i mean aside from fixing the game..
why not give these people who wasted their time
a killing floor key? at least i could use the skins from my DDE.

pretty disappointed. wanted to invest in the indie company
and i am getting the corporate rich man cold shoulder.
and the community is mostly thankful, it really makes me
sad when people are ok with something like this.
it makes it ok for people to continue releasing games in this state.

What a terrible poem. Doesn't even rhyme.

Upvote 0
my car works great until I try to meet up with other drivers, then when Im told I cant hang out there I try to go back to the interstate to find more car conventions, only to find that apparently there are no more. I then have to exit my car and get back in to find more conventions.

[URL="http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg?1288903617"][url]http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg?1288903617[/URL][/URL]

Lol this made me laugh. My car experiences similar difficulties. Even upon aquiring a new road map the conventions prove elusive.

Upvote 0
Whats with everyone complaining about one game on release theres been lots of games buggy with release I bet its just cause they all think that Tripwire's opinion of the world is "LOADS AAAA MONEY!!" I too think the game is buggy I even raged about the MKB but didnt stop me from playing it I love RO2 and enjoy playing it with my mates, goodness get over yourselfs and just play the game and stop whining :p

p.s why a car why not IS2 :eek:

Upvote 0
Some of the OP's analogies make sense, sure theres bugs and problems but i have absolute faith, given their history, that TWI are going to spend all their available time making this game the best that they can.
Who the hell else listens to their community like this?
I have patience, and very much look forward to whats to come...

ediy: yes i am "new" to the forums, but i've been playing and lurking since RO released.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And thats it the "guys they are working really hard doing lots of overtime" arguement is now officially insulting.

How many time do i have to say this?

THEY DIDNT MAKE THIS GAME IN TWO WEEKS, THEY HAVE WORKED ON IT FOR YEARS. i DONT CARE ABOUT 90PLUS HOURS WORKED NOW. THAT WORK SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN BEFORE THEY EXPECTED ANYONE TO PAY FOR THIS *COUGH* BETA *COUGH* GAME

Do you know about game and software development? I don't so I'm not going to criticize. Given the state of so many other big game releases in the past, having some issues at launch is par for the course. Have some patience... or go play something else and come back when things are fixed up.

Upvote 0