• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

Hooooooly ****. I pity the foo that hasn't read the Game Informer article (14 pages) on Skyrim. I had a little bit of doubt, but now I have absolutely none. Pretty much everything they've done has been positive in my eyes (sure, 18 skills kind of sucks but with the new level system, more skills would take forever to level up accordingly). It's like they compiled everything wrong with Oblivion and a good list of mods and shoved it into one awesome pile.

Upvote 0
Well from the scans I just saw, particularly after one picture that shows the main character crouched, I'm pretty damn sure it's still just further updated Gamebyro.

*edit* Here is the info in the official bethesda forums

*edit2* Yep it's just a majorly overhauled Gamebyro still. But faces and emotions are supposed to be extremely good now. Still I would've preferred a totally new engine. From the informations I've read on one page it sounds a big like dumbing/scaling the game down, on the other hand there are some reasonable/logical changes/cuts. We'll see how it turns out, I can't wait for some HD screenshots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sadly, looks like is the same engine... but on the good side, so many modders already know how to mod for that one, and the faces look quite good now.

They promised something similar to the dynamic NPC AI in Oblivion, but they broke that promise once, so lets see if they get it right this time.

The combat sounds really good with those finishing moves, also, I read somewhere that they hired the team that made Dark Messiah.

Upvote 0
Same art style =/= same engine

Sure, there's going to be a tiny bit of code reused (I don't think developers throw absolutely all code out the window), but to say it's more than 5-10% Gamebryo would be a step too far. I mean, the resolution of those textures and the draw distance, let alone everything else just seems out of Gamebryo's rendering league.

Since you guys want a summary, I'll write up a quick list.

-Obviously improved draw distance. Also claimed that anywhere you see, you're able to go.
-Dynamic soft shadows and lighting.
-Snow will pile up as it falls, rather than simply being a preset mesh and texture.
-No class system (Fine with me, I used customs all the time anyway).
-For levelling, it's more based on the progression of the skills you enhance. A skill that you raise from 34-35 will be more advantageous to levelling up than a skill from 11-12.
-No HUD in first person.
-Fast travel returns (Again fine with me, either use it or don't).
-Better level scaling than Oblivion (closer to Fallout in that regard).
-Random generated quests return. The game watches where you've been, what skills you've trained, etc, and will create a quest in a new location with something more suitable to your skill. Raising skills (for example Destruction) may lead to a quest also, as someone may be willing to challenge your skills in battle in a duel on the streets.
-More expansive combat. Bind varying weapons/spells to either/both hands and use them simultaneously. Shields can bash for a stagger effect. Longer bowstring drawback, but greatly increased damage. Finishing moves depending on the enemy and your weapon. Sprinting for quick movement at a reduction of stamina, and a slower backpedal rate.
-Much better looking NPCs that won't zoom in on a time stand still basis when you interact with them. They'll move around and perform tasks while talking with you, and will even talk to you from afar.
-Radiant AI is coming as it truly meant to be. Drop a weapon and watch people fight over it, or have someone return it to you depending on their personality.
-Children are confirmed to be in the game so far. That being said, I can't see it not being rated Mature (especially with what happened with Oblivion).
-Lore seems to be much more rich in this game. One of the most anticipated areas (for me anyway) making its way into the game are the 7000 stairs.
-More streamlined UI and menus (they referred to it as adopting an Apple based view on UI).
-18 skill total (a few are likely to be combined. At first I was worried at "dumbing it down" but with the new class system it makes sense. Levelling would take forever otherwise).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If they actually implement Radiant AI in Skyrim I'll be genuinely surprised.

Having freeform goal-oriented AI is hard to do in a sandbox(ish) game. Not to mention all that voice acting that may or may not be used.

And hopefully they included previously cut weapons like Spears and Crossbows in their 18 skills.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dunno. Even done right, you'll still end up with NPCs dead in the streets, and you as the player walk by and go "Huh, I wonder how that happened. Oh well."

It keeps going for some sort of Alife thing, but when the player can't really interact with it, and the results of it going by itself tend to be....dead npcs and little else...it always makes me question how much effort Radiant is worth just for making NPCs look busy.

Upvote 0
Not sure if everyone can see this link I'm pretty sure since it didn't ask for my login info for the website and I haven't gone to gameinformer.com in a while. But anyway, they're adding new things they are revealing all throughout January, about certain parts of the game (including combat, yes). Some of the videos on these links are pretty cool. For example, I didn't realize how simple making sounds for a game can be sometimes (you go from having to get a choir to perform lyrics that aren't even in any real world language, to something as simple as the noise of a chain link falling from your hands to be part of a footstep sound for a metallic creature). Ya may learn something there today! But anyway, for anyone who doesn't know yet I'll list things from the gameinformer article about the game:

• Combat is more dragon-age style now, with being able to equip both hands. It goes a step or two further, though. You can have any weapon/spell combination in each hand. For example you can have two spells in both hands and combine them (you can magnify the strength of a spell if you put it in both hands). You can have two swords, a spell and shield. There are also two-handed weapons. There are also finishing moves now.

• Bow and arrow returns as well; they take longer to use, but they are much more powerful now (it says how stealthy characters can OHK targets, but you could do that in Oblivion as well if you were hidden...hopefully it can be possible to at least two hit people with those things). No word on crossbows.
  • Backpedaling is not going to be a tactic anymore, backwards speed is reduced to prevent backpedal fighting. Another movement thing: you can sprint now, which will use up your stamina bar.
  • The storyline also can remind one of dragon age. Fearsome dragons are returning, the most powerful being one named Alduin. The Dragonborn are a select few, an ancient order (from which The Blades descended) that the dragons fear, because they can stand up to them. When you kill a dragon, you gain a power from it. They come in the form of phrases that you utter. As you kill more dragons, their tone becomes louder as you speak them. One word can knock enemies flat on their backs; another slows down time around you. Some can be whispered, for stealth oriented players. There are 20 words in all.
  • Leveling is different. Every skill starts out at the same number. The way you play dictates which ones increase (no classes). The higher the skill, the more it contributes to leveling (such as raising a skill from 34 to 35 rather than one from 11 to 12). There are also perks in the FO3 style rather than the Oblivion style (getting one at each level, rather than one same, single static perk you get at skill levels 25, 50, 75, 100). This results in leveling up faster at the beginning. There are 18 skills.
    • There are now only five schools of magic; Mysticism has been removed, spells have been moved around.
  • I thought of this thread when I read about it: faces are improved! Huzzah! :D They have a picture of a well-endowed blonde maiden and it indeed looks a lot better. They also show emotion better and more race distinction. Conversations are now real time, and the characters will behave more human like now while talking. There are also more voice actors this time around. You can also engage in more activities in the towns. Enchantment and alchemy, yes, but also standing at the forge to carve new weapons. There's also farming, woodcutting, mining an even cooking. We'll see if its done better than Fable's job system.
    • The Radiant AI has not been forgotten. NPCs are more involved in the world around them. Murder a shopkeeper and his sister will take over the shop - and if she knows you did it, will do so with much anger and frustration. Characters may approach the player to duel. Wandering through town, if you drop inventory items, for example a sword, a young boy may pick it up and ask you if you meant to drop the sword. Two NPCs may fight over possession of the item after finding it. Wonder if you can get involved and take your item back? I know when I read this I immediately thought of someone dropping about sixty swords all throughout a town :troll: But hey, the developers are trying to make it better, and if they need to leave out covering that kind of scenario realistically, its not a big deal. Bigger fish to fry...just don't abuse the system if you don't want fifty people asking you if you meant to drop your swords!
  • The new inventory system took inspiration from iTunes. In the developer's words: "If Apple made a fantasy game, how would that look?" Every item listed in your inventory is a 3D object you can see. Looking at your map, the player character will look down accordingly. Its all about keeping the player grounded in their location in the world, while still delivering fast and detailed information.
  • Fast travel is back, yes. The third person view is once again said to have been improved. I prefer first person at any rate.

Upvote 0