• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Left handed character?

Nekomancer

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
Is it possible to play as a left handed character models? I'm left handed and prefer to have my weapons on the left side of the screen. I know that the Unreal engine 2 is able to pull that off, even the first were able too.

But i wasn't able to find any switch or button to select that. Even TF2 were able to add that option (i know, Source engine is different).

Basically, if you gonna make everything to the left side, you'll need a completely new model for many guns, because the assault-rifle for right hand dude has the bolt on the right side, so the ejected cartridge from the gun isnt gonna block your view or cause any damage (think about something from your gun jump back right in your face).

With left hand, they'll have the bolt on the left side, with is why we'll need another model for many guns: AK, bullphp, scar and possible some other guns.

But I've never seen anyone use a auto gun with their left hand. Sniper is, other other hand, I've seen most left-hand. Maybe I'm wrong, dont ask me why.

Upvote 0
Most games just mirror the weapons, they don't really make left handed animations and models. But that are mostly fictional weapons where such work is a lot easier. See Unreal Tournament as an example.

I know it won't either be easy, or realistic. One, or the other, not both. But i'm happy enough with the dirty way. That makes me feel special even to have left handed versions of the weapons (they do exist!).

Upvote 0
That's one of the drawbacks of bullpup-type weapons in general, no?

P90, F2000, and AUG can all be ambidextrous.
The first two are designed that way, and the AUG by a changing the bolt to a left-handed one and moving the blanking cap to the right.

The only two non-ambidextrous bullpups i can think of are the FAMAS and SA80 family of rifles.

Upvote 0