• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
ACE mod for ArmA 2 had some great ear-ringing system. you had to apply ear plugs before shooting, otherwise, you'd go deaf for a while.

To each their own, but I think that it's rubbish. You can fire an AK-74 at cyclic all day without earplugs but 3-4 bursts with an RPK-74 and you're near perma-deaf... which is simulated by a loud, high-pitch tone that seems like it might do a better job causing hearing loss than simulating it.

Glad to hear RO2 will be without this, as to me it's far more annoying than immersive.

Upvote 0
WTF like 7/8 of the forums members got tinnitus? xD

Same here. The secret is to play metal constantly and fire you gun repeatedy. You only notice it when it all goes quiet.

Tip for the kids - playing a Sony Walkman for 10 years too loud will give to tinnitus and once you've got it, it's for life. Along with the reduction in hearing in one ear.

Think about that when you fire your ithings up next time...

Upvote 0
Well... I just can't belive this. Turns out i'm not the only one.
Implementing this in game might be annoying. But if it is it wont change anything for me as i won't be bothered by it at all.

BTW, does any of you guys have Optic Snowing too? I heard it's common to have both snowing and tinnitus at the same time, as i have.

Upvote 0
Implementing this in game might be annoying. But if it is it wont change anything for me as i won't be bothered by it at all.

BTW, does any of you guys have Optic Snowing too? I heard it's common to have both snowing and tinnitus at the same time, as i have.

Whoa. I got tinnitus when I was 10. then this "Optic Snowing" thing, at age 11. never even knew it had a name, never really looked up tbh. learned to live with them both. I wonder why are they both common with each other.

Upvote 0
Whoa. I got tinnitus when I was 10. then this "Optic Snowing" thing, at age 11. never even knew it had a name, never really looked up tbh. learned to live with them both. I wonder why are they both common with each other.
Everyone has "snowing", but people playing fps games notice them easier, something 60% better contrast which makes you see the little white cells agains white background. Then there's real deal visual snow which only very rare people have. I can simulate visual snow when I keep my right eye closed, it's literally like someone increases film grain slider in Left 4 Dead 2.

Everyone also sees grain in the dark because of how light works but that's not visual snow either.

And ontopic: no please no, I have tinnitus as well. Only reason such sound would serve is annoy the players thats it. It'd be cool for the first few minutes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there an effect where the sound gets dampened by close explosions? That would be better than a ringing.

One time i fired a 1911 with my headphones around my neck by accident. Instant pain and deafness. Only had to do it once, makes you wonder how those poor soldier boys had to put up with all the noise and explosions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To each their own, but I think that it's rubbish. You can fire an AK-74 at cyclic all day without earplugs but 3-4 bursts with an RPK-74 and you're near perma-deaf... which is simulated by a loud, high-pitch tone that seems like it might do a better job causing hearing loss than simulating it.

Glad to hear RO2 will be without this, as to me it's far more annoying than immersive.
The high pitch tone is actually the best tinnitus impression I have heard from any game. In fact it's the only game/movie that has made me go "Woa, sounds just like mine".

Upvote 0
I guess it's lucky I don't have it, going to concerts and having no ear plugs and your ears are ringing like hours later still.

I don't see why it would be bad to have it affect you in-game if you are near a gunshot (not your own). Like if someone else on your team comes up and fires near your head, you get a ringing that lasts for a few seconds.

It's not entirely realistic but it just adds a bit to the dynamic sounds of the battlefield.

Upvote 0

This? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

It's normal.

Upvote 0