• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kar98 non-hooded sights screenshots

I disagree. the sighthood's metal itself is thin enough to not have any impact on sight picture, especially not at normal (200-500) ranges.

Pics incoming

Sorry for not having aligned it properly, was not easy to keep steady with my knees.

This is why I think some of the vets did it to make it more like their older rifles

Upvote 0
This is why I think some of the vets did it to make it more like their older rifles
Not wanting to prolong this point, but:
I find that very hard to believe and I never heard of it either. Doesn't make sense at all, some warped feeling of "nostalgia" would hardly be reason enough to decrease your combat effectiveness, if only by a little.

especially not in that hellhole

Upvote 0
That sight hood removal made me much less accurate on k98k. Don't ask me why. It's just so awkward to aim without that little piece of metal. Also i imagined that as i lvl up my weapon it would start looking older, i don't know maybe with some cuts on its stock showing how awesome i am in shooting this beast...
Time to loot dead buddies :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I disagree. the sighthood's metal itself is thin enough to not have any impact on sight picture, especially not at normal (200-500) ranges.

Pics incoming
dsc00413hw.jpg

Sorry for not having aligned it properly, was not easy to keep steady with my knees.
can you 2x zoom please? :D

Upvote 0
Well, from what I've read on the Eastern Front, many Germans removed the sight guards because if the rifle end was shoved in the snow, it would often end up filled with snow. Obviously that wouldn't be a mechanic in a game but I personally think no sight guard is better in game just because it gives a better view of what you are targeting.

Reactions: Sgt.NightFire
Upvote 0
Yo, lots of people were confused or interested in the removal of the hooded sights on the kar98 and i just leveled up to 50 (partly thanks to the messed up stats lululul) so here it is:

Unfortunately there isn't any option to revert back to the original sights after you unlock it, so you better hope you prefer these to the originals. Also look how clean that **** is, 'weapon condition' says it's 'select grade'. Mang, i believe dat.

Tell me please, how did you get rid of all the ugly blur and depth of field?

Upvote 0
Tell me please, how did you get rid of all the ugly blur and depth of field?

Navigate to:

C:\Users\(user name)\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config

Open the 'ROEngine' .ini file with Notepad or whatever then hit Ctrl+F and search for "depthoffield" without the quotes, then change "Depthoffield=True" to "Depthoffield=False" and hit save. :IS2:
From that file you can also change a few other graphical options such as motion blur and shadow resolution, they're all in there!

Last edited:
Reactions: triple25mm
Upvote 0
I thought the sight hood was meant to protect the front post of the iron sights from getting knocked out of alignment, bent or broken. All weapons tend to have at least something that protrudes on the sides of the front sight. Some go all the way around. The screenshot rifle has nothing at all and would easily made into a hip-shootster.

Upvote 0