• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] Have pavlovshouse been optimized lately?

Sorry guys you can't have it both ways. Either we cut down detail in the levels and it runs better for a wider range of people, or we leave the detail and then everyone complains about "OMG this game doesn't run as good as every other game I play that just happens to be a console port with low detail."

Do you not use the low-medium-high detail for Static Meshes? At least it would remove smaller details for LOW config and keep them for higher?

Also I would say that the performance issue are in major part due to UE3 Engine... Having looked around for a "generic" tool to allow for switching on/off options in the INI files I came across just about every recent UE3 based game and ALL suffer some degrees of performance issues, even on high end rigs. Those included Homefront, Borderlands, Bioshock, BulletStorm, Batman Arkam Asylum, GOW, Mass Effect 2, etc....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A paranoid person could believe that TWI is mostly trying to split the community up.

They take drastic measures like this which obviously don't even give the game a performance boost but does make it look infinitely uglier for everyone, and then blame it on the "whiners" who can't the game properly. So, those with less problems blindly believe the official statements and start to hate on the "whiners" (aka concerned customers who paid money for the game). The people who have issues running the game regardless of their specs are seen as spoiled brats who can't set their game properly.

This way, people flame and insult each other, making the threads locked and people banned, and TWI is above all of this. Ultimate win.

This was obviously a fiction paranoid person's point of view, totally not mine at all. Just for fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's not so comforting. why make such an ambitiously large scale game that can't use the resources available.
Because it's really hard to code a multicore based application? It's something quite new (6-7yrs), and really complicated.

Oh and I also encountered this:
Red Orchestra 2 - Playstation 2 Graphics Edition - YouTube
Nothing tweaked in teh ini files other than turning off Depth of Field and motion blur.
PS2 Graphics?

That's for beginners, true players are using PS1 graphics !

Upvote 0
I'm just curious....what exactly does everyone mean when they say 'performance issues' and 'bad fps'?

I have all my settings on high, some ultra, and I am running quite smoothly (IMHO). I do stutter from time to time, but usually it seems to be a quick lag spike or a TON going on (lots of players, smoke, arty, etc) all at the same time.

So I just want to get some specifics from people to see if maybe I am just missing something.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry guys you can't have it both ways. Either we cut down detail in the levels and it runs better for a wider range of people, or we leave the detail and then everyone complains about "OMG this game doesn't run as good as every other game I play that just happens to be a console port with low detail." And unfortunately, another symptom of almost all recent shooters being console ports is everyone just cranks there graphics up to Ultra no matter what hardware they have, then come crying to us that the game doesn't run very good on their 3-5 year old hardware. This being due to the fact that games designed to run on 5 year old console hardware usually run awesome on 5 year old machines on the highest settings.

Sorry to be blunt, but sometimes I have to :)

This is rightly outrageous.

Your game run on a very old 3d engine, that's not even the problem because people with top notch configuration have reported the game to be unplayable on modest settings. This is due to terrible optimization.

Not only is your game near a damn rip off due to being unplayable because of the countless bugs and terrible optimization, but now you're resorting to spitting in the face of the countless of cheated customers.

I haven't seen such an awful PR in years.

Reactions: Captain_Chirac
Upvote 0
Multicore and distributed systems have been a case of study for decades and i am sure every Unreal Engine 3 game on PC and consoles is using every single core.
Nope (chuck testa?). RO2 doesn't use all my CPU power :)

Basically, most games are using a major thread of a different feature of the game. So you have one thread for the graphics, one for the sound, one for the netcode ...

Splitting the heavies threads like the graphics across multiple thread requires a lot of software engineering :)

Upvote 0
Nope (chuck testa?). RO2 doesn't use all my CPU power :)

Basically, most games are using a major thread of a different feature of the game. So you have one thread for the graphics, one for the sound, one for the netcode ...

Splitting the heavies threads like the graphics across multiple thread requires a lot of software engineering :)
I suppose that is why we study computing science? :p
I am not really into computing graphics, nor game engines, but from what i can tell the game is quite heavy on physics.
Are they being calculated in another thread or is it being processed in conjunction with the graphics?

Upvote 0
Sorry guys you can't have it both ways. Either we cut down detail in the levels and it runs better for a wider range of people, or we leave the detail and then everyone complains about "OMG this game doesn't run as good as every other game I play that just happens to be a console port with low detail." And unfortunately, another symptom of almost all recent shooters being console ports is everyone just cranks there graphics up to Ultra no matter what hardware they have, then come crying to us that the game doesn't run very good on their 3-5 year old hardware. This being due to the fact that games designed to run on 5 year old console hardware usually run awesome on 5 year old machines on the highest settings.

The easy and logical "fix" would be to tell the people with older hardware not to play on ultra and leave the nice details etc for the people that can run it on ultra.
When they play on medium/high they'll be able to run it smoothly and people with newer hardware will still be able to enjoy the gfx.
The solution you used now was not the best imo.

Upvote 0
The easy and logical "fix" would be to tell the people with older hardware not to play on ultra and leave the nice details etc for the people that can run it on ultra.
When they play on medium/high they'll be able to run it smoothly and people with newer hardware will still be able to enjoy the gfx.
The solution you used now was not the best imo.

What if you have highend hardware and only get about 30 fps on ultra. Yes some people complaining have only old parts. But people like my self Have ~1 year hardware are having major problems, nothing to do with our specs.

Upvote 0
I suppose that is why we study computing science? :p
I am not really into computing graphics, nor game engines, but from what i can tell the game is quite heavy on physics.
Are they being calculated in another thread or is it being processed in conjunction with the graphics?
I haven't made the game, so I don't know.

I assume that if you check "use hardware physX" with a nVidia GPU, then it is computed with the GPU... well it's time to do some proper benchmarks.

Upvote 0
Same here. Quite distracting as the texture pop-in registers as movement to the eye, drawing your attention away from the enemy.

i7 Q720
GTX280M
4GB

Try to add this to Steam RO2 Launch option, its UE3 stock command, untested:

-NOTEXTURESTREAMING

Disable texture streaming. Highest quality textures are always loaded.

Upvote 0
A lot of people acting like children in this thread. Multiplayer PC games ALWAYS have rocky starts due to the nature of PC configurations, if you have not figured out by now that it takes a few weeks after release to get things working properly then there is no point in explaining things to you because you'll forget it by the next post.

Every time a new game is released and it has a few bugs the makers forums are filled with "I demand a refund", "most broken game ever released". Give it a rest guys, it's real old at this stage.

Also, dont ask for someones opinion if you cant handle the truth.
Would you rather have Tripwire lie to you and keep you in the dark?
Sure bugs are to blame on poor performance, but a lot of you are also running it on settings that are too high for your computer.
Honestly, some of the comments in this thread make me ashamed to be a PC gamer.

Let Tripwire do their thing and we'll see how it works out in a week or two.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A lot of people acting like children in this thread. Multiplayer PC games ALWAYS have rocky starts due to the nature of PC configurations, if you have not figured out by now that it takes a few weeks after release to get things working properly then there is no point in explaining things to you because you'll forget it by the next post.

Every time a new game is released and it has a few bugs the makers forums are filled with "I demand a refund", "most broken game ever released". Give it a rest guys, it's real old at this stage.

Also, dont ask for someones opinion if you cant handle the truth.
Would you rather have Tripwire lie to you and keep you in the dark?
Sure bugs are to blame on poor performance, but a lot of you are also running it on settings that are too high for your computer.
Honestly, some of the comments in this thread make me ashamed to be a PC gamer.

Let Tripwire do their thing and we'll see how it works out in a week or two.

^ This.

Upvote 0

my config : cpu 2500k with 4 go corsair dominator 1600mhz , gainward phantom gtx 570, ro2 on SSD OCZ 120 go

before the patch 2 solutions : played 30 fps ultra with lags or rogame.exe crashed

since the patch : game ugliest and 60 fps

I payed my UC 1920

Upvote 0
Your message is just a provocation

I was like you and angry. But i read his post again, and he's not really singling us high-end users out here.

Some people I'm sure are indeed complaining about performance when they have low-spec machines, and it's those people that are the issue. I do think they are aware that something is amiss with certain high-spec configs. We'll just have to hope they can figure this out.

I can't bring myself to play this for more than 5 minutes or so to get a perfdump to send then I have to quit.

It's too hard dealing with the dips in framerate and the stutters and the popping audio when I can just go play something else maxxed out at 5760x1080 resolution and enjoy 80-100 FPS.

Upvote 0
8Cr4m.png

Upvote 0
bricks

bricks

So i figured i'd weigh in on this.. I placed a ton of those bricks and i'm very close to them. When in beta we realized Pavlov's needed some love, so i went crazy optimizing it. Over all you shouldn't even be able to tell the difference from 3 days before release to release except for the bricks. Days of placing every clump of bricks to perfectly align with the terrain the back aches, the eye strain..there is a lot of love there and possibly some floaters :p. It was the last map we worked on so we had already committed to a visual style of bricks everywhere but when the call came in to optimize everyone pointed to the bricks. It's not poly's that make the bricks expensive its the draw calls..(the bricks are in groups of 10 so each clump eats up cpu and forces your gpu to wait for it) in some places in the map the draw calls could get crazy out of control where your trying to render 4,000 plus objects because the map is so open and all the buildings are open and every window is open and you can see everything inside..(this is why most games don't detail so much on giant maps) So my department started getting aggressive with cull distances(the distance at which an object is no longer rendered) and like i said the goal was to make it unnoticeable. Then as i was culling like a mad man everyone kept asking me if i ditched the elephant in the map.. those damn dirty bricks and i said no.. then they asked again and again until the decision was made...select all... delete...nooooooooo.. but fear not, every map update will not delete anything. I'm hoping that we can make the game look better in time not worse. as performance levels out and we polish up the bugs if I can help it the bricks will be back.. (for ultra only of course,I saved them don't worry)

so please guys enjoy the game, we don't want to loose detail either the environment team has been optimizing all maps again and we're the ones that really don't want to see things get deleted. i'm actually glad so many of you appreciate what we did enough to make and/or answer this thread. so for that I'm really going to try and resurrect Pavlov's ultra only bricks when we go and do another optimize pass on that map. And if we can't get it running better they might have to wait a bit.:)

Thanks for noticing the bricks.

Upvote 0