• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About removing the detail in maps

2011: the year where graphics are more important than gameplay..........

oh noes TW removed bricks from the ground.. i better stop playing D:

Not exactly.

Red Orchestra's magic comes mostly from the immersion the game has. Immersion can be created by lore, gameplay, graphics and aesthetics.
By decreasing any one of those, you automatically take away a tiny piece of the immersion that this game offers.

I'm all for optimising this game, but what I would like to see, is that TWI stops confusing optimising with compromising.
Reducing the aesthetics(not graphics) is a compromise, not an optimisation.

Verb1.optimise - make optimal; get the most out of; use best; "optimize your resources"

In my opinion you don't get the most out of a game by reducing it's aesthetics.

I also never said that this is a gamebreaker for me, I will still keep playing this game. I simply state that I would prefer them to atleast give us the opportunity to enjoy better aesthetics if our machines can handle it.

Upvote 0
especially cos these guys say they can't play with FPS below 60
thats just stupid for a tactical shooter like RO FPS of 35-40 are enough

I'm not one of those guys who says the game has turned into COD, but there are enough elements of twitch-shooter in here that you really need to be above 40FPS at all times, otherwise you're MKB42 fodder.

Upvote 0
im all for them removing gfx shinnanigans in favour of performance.
At the end of the day gameplay>gfx. if you dont like that then im surprised your'e playing this game
Yes, gameplay far outweighs graphics. However, the two are not mutually exclusive. That's the point I believe Icey_Pain is trying to make. There are those of us who get more than acceptable performance with the graphics turned up. Is reducing our experience really the right answer to the problems experienced by those having trouble?

I don't think so, personally.

Reactions: Xile and Overtype
Upvote 0
First, rigs that crush the "recommended" specs should be able to run the game with more than 60 fps, solid.

but a solution is not removing details for everyone
there are low settings available to achieve that for FPS whores
if it runs **** on low settings too they need to extend the stuff that removed with low settings but not to remove details for everyone

Second, everybody's not an immersion WW2 enthusiast who finds his fun exclusively in "tactics" as your use of the term "tactical shooter" seems to imply.
but RO is a tactical shooter (even when RO2 is less tactical than RO1) thats what i bought it for
there are tons of modern combat arcarde shooter available
no need for folks seeing RO as one of them
i played RO1 because i wanted a tactical shooter
and i bought RO2 for same purpose

You might love to sneak between a rifleman with your two assault buddies, and sure, killing that rifleman doesn't require more than 35-40 fps.

However, some of us get their fun from playing (not necessarily on ultra, low is fine if it's what i need to get 120fps.) with a framerate that allow ourselves, as a rifleman, to take you & your two buddies down.
The game being a tactical shooter doesn't make it different from any other fps...
Folks with 35-40 fps will get consistantly demolished by folks with 60+ in any situation that involves actual aiming & not a 5v2 backstab... and that at equal skill level.
wow according to ur logic i would totally own and probably accused of cheating on every server with 120fps cos currently i do great with my 40FPS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If large maps, with an appropriate amount of bushes and trees etc, cannot be realised the mod scene for this game will be as dead as the clan scene. RO2 looks to be rapidly running out of options for longevity. :(
its quite the contrary actually. Unreal Engine 3 is quite well optimized for large maps, with an excellent built in terrain LOD system and a great lod system for trees and bushes themselves.

An expansive rural map is easier to render and compile than a dense urban map.

its a common misconception that a "bigger" map is harder to run. In game environments size is completely subjective.. what matters is how many polys, materials and shaders need to be displayed or calculated onscreen at one time and large outdoor environments are generally lighter in all those areas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't care what they do to optimize the maps as long as the original/highest detail is still available when selecting the "ultra" graphics settings.

That's all anyone really expects.

This aint going to happen becouse it seems they are removing objects from the map and that would put ultras at disadvantage against whose who play in a washed out map. Dam this is sad i was so looking foward to my sistem upgrade wich i propably wont be needing any more :(

Upvote 0
I don't care what they do to optimize the maps as long as the original/highest detail is still available when selecting the "ultra" graphics settings.

That's all anyone really expects.

This aint going to happen becouse it seems they are removing objects from the maps and that would put ultras at disadvantage agains players in washed out maps. Dam this is sad and i was looking forward to my sistem upgrade witch i probably wont be needing any more :(

Upvote 0
especially cos these guys say they can't play with FPS below 60
thats just stupid for a tactical shooter like RO FPS of 35-40 are enough

Clearly you have no idea of the importance of high FPS.

I wouldn't disagree that 35-40 fps are acceptable for basic movement and shooting stationary enemy.But for moving targets and ping differences you basically are at a huge disadvantage with low fps

FPS are of fundamental importance in real time/multiplay first person shooters.

Upvote 0