• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FPS - what is too low?

Seriously guys, do you have custom/high-end monitors that refresh at faster than 60fps?

'Cause the game can run at 120 fps without your monitor being able to refresh that fast, and most monitors nowadays are locked in at around 60fps.
Yes, I have, and it doesnt matter if your monitor cant render that much anyway, the game will still perform smoother

Upvote 0
Well, if you consider having ca 10 frags to 30 giving a hard time, then fine, I won't argue. After all, we all have different standards. GG&WP. :)

My team didn't, they were utter noobs after all.
I did give you a hard time, you know it, you wouldn't pull the "camper" excuse (which doesn't work the slightest on RO) and you wouldn't rage (yes your post shows rage) if I didn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't tell if some of you are joking or not....really you need AT LEAST 60 FPS to play your game? Jesus Christ, you guys must just piss money onto your rigs every year.

It could be that I've been dealing with low-end rigs for years, but 30 fps is just fine for me. I don't have any trouble playing above 30.

20 is the bare minimum. Obvious performance issues and what not make it a headache to play.

I have never even seen 70+ fps, and I manage to be pretty competitive online. You guys either have some hyper-evolved eyes and reflexes that let you take advantage of such an FPS.

I mean, most console games are locked in at 30-60 fps, and there isn't any drop in quality or visual difference to me. Not to mention that most modern LCD monitors are locked in at 60fps.

Frankly, I think you guys are talking out of your bums.

Could not agree more. I think I do perfectly fine online and I also say 20 is my bare minimum with 30 being playable.

The same people that say they can tell the difference 30 fps and 60 fps are the same people that swear they can tell the difference from 720p to 1020p. :rolleyes:

That difference is pretty big actually...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I turn my in-game settings down so that I get between 55 and 80 at all times.

Sure, the lighting's beautiful, but it's a competitive FPS. It's just frustrating and doesn't feel responsive enough if it regularly drops under 45 frames.

Make up your own mind whether you can 'see the difference' between 30 fps and 60:

http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I usually set everything up in any game to hold 75 FPS or so, which isn't too difficult as I built this system a couple of months ago.

Here though, I'm holding from 40-75 or so, when it's low it's likely there is smoke on my screen. Doesn't seem to matter, going from High+Ultra combo mix to full on low I still only got 80 FPS consistently.... 40 is about my threshold now, before I had ye olde coal fired PC, and 30 was my number. Can't bear that anymore.

I set up things as such though to have some buffer zone. I can easily tell the difference between 30, 60 and 90+. And yes, there is a difference. You may not even see above 60 due to the eye / monitor, but the controls just feel different.

Upvote 0
My opinion, anything under 60 fps is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I have a pretty beefy system (2 gtx460, 3.6ghz quadcore, 4 gig of ram), and I still havent found a game (other than the ro2 beta and maybe crysis) that dips below 60 fps. For the most part ro2 beta is around 80-90 fps, but on maps like fallen fighters, it drops to like 40 outdoors.

Upvote 0