• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

question

A.Troll said:
Blah bluh, bluh blah ,hate steam, blah blah blah blah, server boss that can't figure out admin,blah blah blah hate steam, blah hate steam, blah buh can't figure out steam, blah balh...
A paid-for copy of RO:HOS to the first person that sends me a greasemonkey script by end-o-month to remove the troll's posts while leaving the rest untouched.

We need an ignore list here, and free prescription meds for those that need them...:cool:

BTW - for posters that have problems admining steam environments, or have problems recognizing what forum they are in, steam support can be found here: https://support.steampowered.com/

Probably the appropriate place to vent repeated complaints also.

Upvote 0
A paid-for copy of RO:HOS to the first person that sends me a greasemonkey script by end-o-month to remove the troll's posts while leaving the rest untouched.

We need an ignore list here, and free prescription meds for those that need them...:cool:

BTW - for posters that have problems admining steam environments, or have problems recognizing what forum they are in, steam support can be found here: https://support.steampowered.com/

Probably the appropriate place to vent repeated complaints also.

Theres an ignore list in the "User CP" menu...

Upvote 0
steam sucks

hands down

it crashes

updates all the time in middle of gaming for retarded *** reasons that have no effect on anything im doing

friends list works half the damn time its always going down

and god

VALVE MUCH? NEED I SAY MORE?

Reguardless I stick with steam because I have to play my ro and ro-2

lololol but i do hate steam sigh

Upvote 0
steam sucks

hands down

it crashes
Doesn't crash on my machines.
updates all the time in middle of gaming for retarded *** reasons that have no effect on anything im doing
Simply not true. It does not download anything if you are in-game.
friends list works half the damn time its always going down
Not on my machines.

and god

VALVE MUCH? NEED I SAY MORE?

Yes, please, because I don't know what you mean.

lololol but i do hate steam sigh

Upvote 0
There are a few things bad about Steam:

1) Valve will not notify you that they are sold out of games when you buy it. You will often have to wait days or even up to a week in order for them to give you a CD/DRM key. Once they have taken your money, it is gone and you have to wait it out and hope they eventually give you a key. Very shady business. However, this can likely be avoided if you buy a DVD copy in a store as it would likely have a key.

2) It uses a decent amount of system resources. This can be problematic in demanding games like DCS and ArmA. I don't think RO2 will be as demanding as either of these games... at least I hope not. :p

3) No way to roll back to older versions/patches. This can be an issue for mods that require certian patches to run. I doubt this will be an issue with RO2 as RO1 did not have such an issue.

Aside from that, Steam is not that bad. It is a better DRM solution than a CD/DVD check.

Upvote 0
Well for mods you can easily turn off automatic updates and stay on the previous version until the mod team comes out with a fix. It wont be like source mods though because for those valve will make small changes to the SDK base which will break a lot of things. I'm not sure but I dont think HoS mods will use the UDK base which is now on steam.

On topic I don't think anyone should have reservations about getting the game because of steam. It's a great service that's constantly being improved. A lot of TW's success has come from the fact they can promote their games through steam to reach a wider audience without having to break their budget trying to advertise elsewhere.

Upvote 0
So far I have yet to buy a full priced title on Steam. It's not because I hate Steam -- I actually really like it most of the time. It's just that if I have the choice between buying something full price on Steam vs a physical copy, I'll pick the physical copy every time because there are no restrictions on it (aside from the usual DRM) and it takes much less time to install from a DVD than for me to download over Steam. If I'm paying full price, I want a box, a CD case, a manual, and all the trimmings.

I have bought a lot of games on Steam in the last couple years, but that's only because of the ridiculous deals you can get. I bought L4D2 for $7, Rome Total War for $2.50, and IL2 1946 for $10, among many others.

Upvote 0
Love to know how that works:eek:
How well do you know your way around windows? In a nuthshell:

1) You disable any auto-update functionality, either via game launcher or steam.

2) You make a base copy, unpatched, of the game(s) core folder(s).

3) You link the 'real' folder(s) for the game to the copy/copies.

4) Before patching, you copy the current game linked folder(s) and change the link from the 'real' folder(s) to the new copy.

5) Patch away!

6) Rinse and repeat as needed.

Controlling all of this is a simple script that allows you to specify the game version you want to launch. It updates the link from the 'real' game folder(s) to the correct version copy/copies, then launches the game normally. You might also want to script the patching copy/link process, just to make it less manual.

That's it. If you want to try this and need help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0