• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Germans are the invaders, but Russians are always attacking?

Praesumo

Sep 16, 2011
It seems to me, after experiencing the online play for a few days, that there has been some sort of mix up. Last time I checked it was the Germans invading the Russians. So it would make sense that the Russians would be defending more often (I.E. Grain Elevator) but it seems 4/6 maps force the Russians to do the assaulting, while simultaneously struggling against the ridiculous lockdown timer. And if the Russians aren't attacking, the map is a 50/50 land-grab. I feel like the Germans are never put at a disadvantage. I played German a few times, and it's the easiest campfest imaginable... :(

Russians are outright attack on
Fallenfighters
Apartments
Red October Factory
Commisars House

Germans are outright attack on
Grain Elevator
Station
Spartanovka
Barracks

Gumrak both teams are attacking starting with 2 obj each
Pavlovs house is a bit neutral but the allies do have defensive advantage

Seems balanced to me...

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Killyouall
Upvote 0
It's a very realistic feature IMHO :)
Chuikov's staff at Stalingrad decided to "hug" the Germans, to prevent them from using their superior airpower and artillery.
It means counter-attacking everytime you can, infiltrating in blocks, sewers, etc.

The only thing they should remove is the annoying scream "Za Stalina", as very few soviet soldiers were using it. "Urra Pobieda" seems to fit more properly.

Upvote 0
VonPaulus got it right. Certainly the Germans were attacking on an operational level, but on the ground you will have local counter-attacks. This is very much true for the Red Army that was led by aggressive result driven generals that pushed their commanders to reclaim lost territory. Having Stalin breathing down your neck demanding you retake the city also has some weight to it. Simply holding the line was not good enough, Stalingrad was to be purged of the Axis invaders, and eventually the aggressive Russian counter-attacks paid off big time, though at a horrific cost in human lives.

I feel Tripwire did an excellent job researching and representing key battles in this game.

Upvote 0
Pavlovs house is a bit neutral

this makes no sense to me.

pavlov's house is under russian control, hence the name "pavlovs house". By the end of the day, if the germans have not captured to the thing, they lose because it is still under russian control.

Why on earth do the russians have to go on the offensive on this map? Especially considering they were on the defensive for more than 6 months...

i dont like attack/attack as it makes no sense. There should always be a clear defender and attacker

Upvote 0
this makes no sense to me.

pavlov's house is under russian control, hence the name "pavlovs house". By the end of the day, if the germans have not captured to the thing, they lose because it is still under russian control.

Why on earth do the russians have to go on the offensive on this map? Especially considering they were on the defensive for more than 6 months...

i dont like attack/attack as it makes no sense. There should always be a clear defender and attacker

War is made of small actions, and a defending side might attack to retake that house or that factory, for TACTICAL purposes (better field of view, better communication with nearby units, etc)

The way the battles are depicted in RO:2 is great, and I'm not the only one (see Sufyan right in this topic ;)) to have the feeling to be in the middle of Beevor's book while playing the game :p

Upvote 0