• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lockdown!?

Well, if it stays and can't be disabled I won't be playing anymore, and I never thought I would see myself type that about anything with RO in the title.

It is quite simply the most pointless and infuriating addition to any game I can think of, with the possible exception of some camping ( at the edge of the map nowhere near objectives, farming kills ) scrote getting a battlefield commission for high kills and stealing my class :rolleyes:

The mind boggles...

Upvote 0
I like the lock down timer. It could be a wee bit longer, but sometimes when people actually get in the points in good order, the lockdown timer is 10 minutes or more. That's half the default round time.

I like the sense of urgency, personally. When I'm yelling at people to get their asses into the objective, I'm not doing it for fun. I'm doing it so we can keep playing!

Upvote 0
I like the lock down timer. It could be a wee bit longer, but sometimes when people actually get in the points in good order, the lockdown timer is 10 minutes or more. That's half the default round time.

I like the sense of urgency, personally. When I'm yelling at people to get their asses into the objective, I'm not doing it for fun. I'm doing it so we can keep playing!

Sadly when you have a team of players who do not want to attack the objectives and would rather play for kills, a timer doesn't make any bloody difference at all I'm afraid, they carry on regardless. However, without the timer the few players who are attacking at least have half a chance at success.

Upvote 0
Sadly when you have a team of players who do not want to attack the objectives and would rather play for kills, a timer doesn't make any bloody difference at all I'm afraid, they carry on regardless. However, without the timer the few players who are attacking at least have half a chance at success.
And these are the times I'm grateful for lockdown. If, after the game has been out weeks, people still can't take the first objective in 10 mins, I'd rather move to a map where maybe they have a prayer. I'm not the kind of person to sit on my *** for 10 minutes until the game gets over, I'll charge in to win.....but I'm not going to throw myself at the enemy for 20 minutes and die with no backup and almost no hope of victory. The Lockdown timer is a mercy killing, and for the most part I think the time pegged right for when one needs to occur. If anything, lockdown timers on a per map basis could be revisited to see if they're realistic or not. (Sometimes, you need more than 5 mins to cap the first point in Red Oktober. 7 would be better.)

Upvote 0
And these are the times I'm grateful for lockdown. If, after the game has been out weeks, people still can't take the first objective in 10 mins, I'd rather move to a map where maybe they have a prayer. I'm not the kind of person to sit on my *** for 10 minutes until the game gets over, I'll charge in to win.....but I'm not going to throw myself at the enemy for 20 minutes and die with no backup and almost no hope of victory. The Lockdown timer is a mercy killing, and for the most part I think the time pegged right for when one needs to occur. If anything, lockdown timers on a per map basis could be revisited to see if they're realistic or not. (Sometimes, you need more than 5 mins to cap the first point in Red Oktober. 7 would be better.)

RO1 never had lockdown and never had these problems. People like to play at their own pace and not be forced into action by an artificial timer. But with an option we both get what we want so it's all good ;)

Upvote 0
RO1 never had lockdown and never had these problems. People like to play at their own pace and not be forced into action by an artificial timer. But with an option we both get what we want so it's all good ;)

RO was a different game. At this point though, people seem so vehemently against lockdown I can't see how they won't make it a server option.

Upvote 0
I would rather see lockdown based on a % of reinforcements than time. If attacking team has lost X% of thier reinforcements and still not capped the first objective the game should end. That would be a clear indication the team is struggling and probably being spawn camped. Maybe even a ratio between defenders & attackers reinforcements would be a better indicator that a slaughter is taking place and it's time to end the round.

Also, after the first cap there should be no more lockdown. Quite silly to get lockdown on the 2nd to last objective when you have plenty of map time left and the defenders are running out of men.

Upvote 0
Also, after the first cap there should be no more lockdown. Quite silly to get lockdown on the 2nd to last objective when you have plenty of map time left and the defenders are running out of men.
There are so many more places for an assault to grind to a halt though. The Calibration Workshop, just after the first objective on RO Factory, is just as bad if not worse as assaulting the first objective.

Plus with a whole wide open right flank, it's pretty easy for attackers to find a spot to wait out the whole game. I think, once people start paying attention to the lockdown timer instead of just trying to ignore it, it makes for a lot of psychological motivation to take risks. If the whole team were doing that.....? They'd probably overwhelm the objective and push back the timer! Sort of like those heroic last assaults that actually succeed through skill and a few miracles and some lag.

I know there's more than once I've yelled at my team something to the effect of "This is our last chance! Get your asses in the cap! Do it now!" and they've done it and we've pulled it out with a minute to spare. It really is a thrill when it works, and I always thank my team for their work if they listened to me and pulled it off.

On the flip side, the lockdown also sometimes, rarely, means that defenders who worked their *** off to defend a point against overwhelming odds are rewarded by winning the match for their team.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I run our server and i can tell you all that there is currently absolutely no way to turn lockdown off.

If we could, it would already be off as all the guests to our server are asking for it.

Obviously to do it in a mod would be very easy, but then I expect you loose ranked status??

I will be looking into this when the sdk is released.

I will also send the question to the devs via the server admins digest thingy.

Upvote 0
In my opinion Lockdown, especially short lockdown timers, artificially limit available tactics by not allowing enough time to carefully flank and suppress/eliminate defenders in order to allow the assault force to advance.

I do understand, however, that some players would rather move on to another map than keep "beating their heads against a wall", as some put it, but I think I would prefer having time available to me to adjust tactics and assault multiple times until I find the enemy's weak point and can take advantage of it.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Upvote 0