• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So, what is the old RO mode?

Sgt.NightFire

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
Where is it? I remember in a interview i believe Alan said that 'this and that' mode is the old RO mode, but the only thing we got similar is Territory, and i'm really starting to dislike Territory, you only got 4 minutes to capture something, and most of the time it seems the Russians have to do this, and at the moment the Russians seem to lose allot...

You join a server with a map you want to play, get to play 2 minutes, and you are off to the next map already. :mad:

First i thought that Campaign was the original RO mode, but there is not one Campaign server to be found, Countdown is like the old mode, but with only one life and maybe 2,3 reinforcement waves, i just want to play, not watch someone else play.

Either servers have not found out that you can put the territory countdown clock higher, or it just can't be done...

This is at the moment what makes the game not so fun for me anymore, you try to capture the objective, you barely got it, almost got that cap bar full... And game over, cap time is up...:mad: Now we only have like 4 minutes on every map.

I miss the old days where a entire round took 30 minutes to complete, you either held/captured the final objective till your last breath, had epic moments doing so... Now the only thing you mostly see is a game over screen.

Well it is map dependant. When the SDK rolls out people can choose to make maps without lockdown. (ie normal RO1 gamemode.).

Past the first objectives there should really be no more lockdown. I guess the rational behind it is for capzones that cant be defended very well have an extra incentive to actually be defended despite losing rienforcements trying to defend it? I'm really not sure.

Upvote 0
Whats the point of having a 30min time limit, when the lockdown is about 5min?

Even on the largest server, you are only one platoon. This game represents only a tiny part of the real battle. In a real battle, you have objectives and timetables. If you do not meet the timetable there is no point continuing. You will have left a neighbouring unit's flank exposed and possibly caused their destruction, which would leave you exposed and so on.

If it took you too long to take an objective because of the defences, then carrying on wasting lives would probably be pointless... they have pinned you down and stopped your advance. You have lost.

Stick to your timetable. If you don't, you lose. That's how the real world works. No objective can ever be held forever against a constant flow of enemies. But it can be held long enough and made painful enough, that the enemy stops trying.

In this game, you have 4 minutes. Use them, or lose.

Upvote 0
Even on the largest server, you are only one platoon. This game represents only a tiny part of the real battle. In a real battle, you have objectives and timetables. If you do not meet the timetable there is no point continuing. You will have left a neighbouring unit's flank exposed and possibly caused their destruction, which would leave you exposed and so on.

If it took you too long to take an objective because of the defences, then carrying on wasting lives would probably be pointless... they have pinned you down and stopped your advance. You have lost.

Stick to your timetable. If you don't, you lose. That's how the real world works. No objective can ever be held forever against a constant flow of enemies. But it can be held long enough and made painful enough, that the enemy stops trying.

I guess that makes sense.

Though i would have much preferred the game end prematurely due to a loss of reinforcements rather than an arbitrary time

However i do miss the 30min long battles of RO and DOD

Upvote 0
Lockdown is a decent idea, it just needs to be fine tuned. In RO1 you could play that 15 minute round while all the time being on the first cap. If you were defending, it felt epic. But if you were attacking, well... I loved when TWB took down Kaukasus from their 50 player server (or at least I stopped running into it), it was among the most masochistic experiences I have ever had (it was too ridiculous playing the Allies; it was the equivalent of being on Axis on the pre-patch-2 Commissar's House).

So the countdown timer needs to be fine-tuned, but essentially the mechanic is good. If you can't get your stuff together in the allotted time, then either your team just can't get its stuff together, or the enemy is too good, or it's a combination of the two. Therefore, good defenders are rewarded with not having to defend for 40 minutes (remember Berezina with good Allies and incompetent Axis? Stuck on the 1st Line capzone for half an hour? Fun?) of sometimes tedious gameplay.
Obviously, we're going to miss those epic back-and-forth defences, at least on the scale we used to have them, but essentially it is a good idea.

And kill location? It can be turned off, server-side. Or it can be turned on (sometimes to show you the obvious hackers). After staying away from TWI official servers, I have not had a single problem with killcams. It's just server settings. No need to cry for anybody's head for that idea, as it also has its uses (for instance on relaxed realism servers, though I've yet to play a round or two on one).

Upvote 0
I guess that makes sense.

Though i would have much preferred the game end prematurely due to a loss of reinforcements rather than an arbitrary time

However i do miss the 30min long battles of RO and DOD

I'm not specifically talking about the time limits. I'd be happier with say 10 or 20 mins per objective, but the fact there ARE time limits is good. Map makers should take note. Pressure us, but give us a chance to enjoy the view, too. :)

One thing a lot of people seem to forget is that RO2 is not meant to be a finished product as such. The maps that are here are simply the "campaign" that is the theme of the game, but they announced right at the beginning that a lot more would be forthcoming. Maybe TWI are just trying to break in the CoD guys a little softer by giving them high paced maps to get used to before they have to start getting used to slower styles of play that are totally out of their comfort zone.

Is that such a bad thing? Remember no one ever expected to be trapped on just the maps we have. The intention was always for a lively and fulfilling mod and mapping scene. This isn't a console game. It's meant to have some legs.

Why act angry that the current maps are not to your liking? Get a bunch of friends together and make your own.

Reactions: aD.Luoson
Upvote 0

If I want to meet deadlines, I don't need to play a game. I got my job for that. And tbh, on Ro 1, I would've liked sth like a lockdown on the map SmolenskStalemate as often the Axis team got totally stucked on either objective 1 or 2. However, for RO 2, up to now, I don't think the lockdown system works.

Even you have some valid points on a timeframe for military operations, I don't need the stress it's causing in this game. So I would like to get the lockdown timer completely out, even it's less realistic sometimes. There, I said it...

Upvote 0
If I want to meet deadlines, I don't need to play a game.

But I bet you claim to be into "realism"... right?

Even you have some valid points on a timeframe for military operations, I don't need the stress it's causing in this game. So I would like to get the lockdown timer completely out, even it's less realistic sometimes. There, I said it...

If you find it too stressful, don't play. I can agree the time limits can be too tight at times, but that is a map based thing. Maybe they'll relax them, but taking them away is just making the game less realistic.

Upvote 0
I'm not specifically talking about the time limits. I'd be happier with say 10 or 20 mins per objective, but the fact there ARE time limits is good. Map makers should take note. Pressure us, but give us a chance to enjoy the view, too. :)

Actually i think this is a pretty good solution.

keep lockdown but increase the time to 15-20min per set of objectives.

This will keep the game going long enough to be engaging yet not long enough to get stale; as in when there are 2 people left per team and they're all camping.

Upvote 0
I agree, imo, lockdown, kill cam, leveling, unlocks and short map times I don't care for among other minor nuisances takes away from the game for me.

I wish the maps were at least 30min minimum, hopefully some moders will want the same thing.

The game feels like a huge ****ty update for Ostfront.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But I bet you claim to be into "realism"... right?

If you find it too stressful, don't play. I can agree the time limits can be too tight at times, but that is a map based thing. Maybe they'll relax them, but taking them away is just making the game less realistic.

Sir, my point is the following: Let's say the time limit for capping an objective such Red October factory was, let's say: 1 day (in RO 2 time: let's say 10 minutes).

So if the timeline wasn't met, I am sure that all Axis soldiers would've gone home as it's "game over" and the Russian side would have sit down and relax, or celebrating a party, because surely, they've won. Then everybody was informed about their k/d ratio and was happy as they ranked up a level.

Do you understand my meaning now? If not: I am not against deadlines, but what's the sense of having a deadline giving you 5-8 minutes and so, making rounds so fast. Commissar house is the best example: get connected and most of the time, the round is over, before it really started.

Upvote 0
The biggest problem with the lockdown timer now is that its just to short, yesterday i joined a server, German side, Factory map, teams were even but the Russians did not try to get a good attack going, only got sniped from windows, now i had to wait for a few times to spawn, i think a total of 1 minute got wasted on waiting to spawn, and than there is the time to get to the objective in that map, in that map it can take a rough 30 seconds to get there as a German, so i wasted 2 minutes of the 4 minutes of Lockdown running to the objective or waiting for to be spawned... :mad:

Upvote 0