• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Left 4 Dead Vs Killing Floor!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
now ive got you all riled up lets start this obviousely bias comparison...people who claim there COMPLETELY! different are looking through the wrong part of their verifocules. zombies + guns + steam = similair now lets see how many of valves bones we can break :cool:

NOT Zombies - Specimens! lol

oo let's see.... 1st difference: L4D was good but got boring fairly quickly. KF rocks and has never got boring.

Upvote 0
I love L4D and I play it every single day, but I think KF will kick it's *** because:

1-Most guns (if not all) people request in the L4D forums are already included in KF.
2-It has a good old server browser.
3-The SDK is coming out on release.
4-Zombies feed on corpses.
5-Perks and upgrades, plus you can buy new gear.
6-Non linear gameplay.
7-Class oriented action.
8-A server browser.
9-Great horror atmosphere and a little slower in it's pace.
10-It has a server browser.

Upvote 0
In Left 4 Dead the normal infected drop in as little as 2(!!!) chest shots, in KF you actually need to pump quite a bit of lead into a zombie to kill them.
The Fleshpound is amazing. When the fleshpounds appear, everyone goes like: "oh shi..", whilst the witch (presumably hard to kill) is easy to slay with a shotgun neckshot, and the tank is easily to gank with 3 or more people with full auto shotties/m16.
Oh I forgot to mention KF is more realistic, because it doesn't use ZOMGWTFBBQ technology to compress 50 bullets in a 30 bullet mag.
Tho Left4Dead has one thing and thats the random spawnpoints for zombies and the bosses.
Oh I forgot KF has more weapons. I could tell about the pretty good balance in KF weapons (In left4dead the rifle is a piece crap, the m16 is ok and the full auto shotgun is GODLIKE).

Left 4 Dead always loses in the end.
Oh. And I forgot to mention I still play KF since early 2007, whilst I dropped Left 4 Dead after as little as 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yay my turn to curb stomp L4D, im going to start by confessing that i dont own or have ever played L4D, on the other hand ive only played like 2-3 games of the killing floor mod (due to ****ing cd key error when i installed mega pack to fix missing textures, but cause its the steam version it got patched with a retail version patch n pissed itself and died started *****ing about CD keys...i never re-instaled KF again, but it was a mighty fine game if very poorly presented). anyway:
killing floor is gritty and atmospeheric, has more weapons, wider array of "mutant"'s, an SDK meaning instant mods/maps (plus UT editor is a cake walk compared to source >.>), persistent perks, open plan maps, srategy (not just A-B + kill zombies inbetween), and its got acheievments and stats just like L4D, has server browser, and is defo gona be cheaper ^^, only thing L4D has in its favour is shiny graphics, AI director, and shocks,

Upvote 0
cant say as i havent played it but studied it in depth, videos reveiws whatnot, and im sure its a very good game with some nice features but it goes for the cheap shocks and duke nukem gameplay which i dont like, sure we should have guns and granted in L4D you NEED 4 players worth of boomstick to survive but it just felt like yargh guns zombies kill!!! (nothing wrong with this, but...) and the teamwork aspects worked well (apart from the freindly fire ALWAYS ON!!! feature), but it lacked the finnes, depth, and atmosphere a zombie game needs, the zombies in L4D due to there presence lose there shock value and although AI director spices it up a little its just going through the same motions, A to B kill zombies...yay. also was the shockingly thin slice valve gave us, 4 "campaigns" is great for the first month or so but it gets tale fast, and they should have bulked the game out more rather than releasing updates that wouldnt have been needed if they had released a full game to begin with, and although L4D hogs the lime light now it will wither away with time unless valve get there arses in gear else everyone will go off and play Tf2 again ^^. also ONE BIG ****ING NO-NO!!! VALVE DIDNT RELEASE AN SDK AT LAUNCH, DESPITE THERE NEVER ENDING BULL **** ABOUT SUPPORTING MODDERS. IF THEY SUPOETED MODDRDS THAT BAD THEY WOULD HAVE HAD MODS ON STEAM FOR DOWNLOAD YEARS BACK WHEN WE ASKED FOR IT!!! this in my opinion is where KF had L4D by its balls, as KF will have loads of user made contents and mods plus regular content updates ^^

Upvote 0
lol this thread is like taking candy from a baby (L4D) then shooting it in the face with a shotgun. I give credit where credit is due, L4D is an excellent game for what it tries to do. It never tries to be realistic or anything so theres not much point in trashing it for being itself. It would be like hating a bird for simply being a bird.

That being said, I found L4D to be too casual. There wasn't a lot of depth in L4D for the hardcore gamer. Few guns, few game mechanics (melee), linear, etc. Go over to the L4D forums and ask for a new weapon and you get flamed to hell and back. The community refuses to have anything but the bare essentials. The A.I. director is good but after you casually play the game several times it got old due to the lack of depth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
excuse my bias, i'm just speaking as a customer of L4D :)

what bugged me was the lack of personalization. you couldn't "be your own man" you just tagged along with your team, and did what they said, and if you didn't, you would die. immediately. All of the characters regardless of if they were muscle bound bikers or small women could fight exactly the same. There was no room for personality.... I just didn't find it very fun unless i was playing with a very skilled group of people who i knew well. And frankly, there's alot of games that could be fun with that formula.

Upvote 0
I bought L4D but feel ripped off.
I played the demo more than I played the actually game. I liked the demo, but I expected the actual game to not be EXACTLY THE SAME just 8x longer.
I figured there would be new stuff that'd pop up.. but nope. Just different areas to do the same **** in over and over.
It felt like a $30 game.

Upvote 0
yay my turn to curb stomp L4D, im going to start by confessing that i dont own or have ever played L4D, on the other hand ive only played like 2-3 games of the killing floor mod

So you've never played L4D and have barely played Killing Floor's mod and you create a thread comparing the two (not actually comparing, more-so just inanely bashing L4D)?

Like...I'm somewhat excited about KF, but you're pretty much living the definition of "rabid fanboy." L4D is a great game. It has a different goal and a different appeal, but because it's a similar genre-setting you HAVE to compare them? Let me guess, someone is going to complain about not having ironsights and the existence of medpacks?

Meh. This makes you as bad as the fanboys involved in Counter-Strike vs Halo or 360 vs PS3 arguments.

Ironically, Penny Arcade's comic yesterday (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/) highlights this thread pretty well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your entire post a few posts up says otherwise.

Maybe I'm just an idealist in hoping that we can approach games in a rational manner instead of in a binary matter. "THIS ONE IS GOOD SO THIS OTHER ONE SUCKS" I'm pretty sure both have the potential to be great games (however as I've not played KF's mod I won't comment on how good or bad it is. I will try it when it comes out).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.