• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2: Ostfront '41 - '45

So far the only thing I'd keep from RO2 is mantling. Everything else can go.

That seems a very silly thing to say. Make no mistake, RO2 improves a lot of things.

Bullet penetration instantly springs to mind. A feature sorely lacking in RO1. Then we have the more realistic recoil in RO2. Now it's actually worth aiming with the Smg's while standing up, what a novel idea? And the damage system for both tanks and people are greatly improved (though the bandaging system needs a bit of tweaking if you ask me..).

Seems to me this mod is more about tweaking and removing the undesirable new things from RO2 than it is about implementing RO1 in a new engine. And that is perfectly doable. In fact almost all of it is related to the ranking system or the maps.

That simply leaves the more complicated bits and pieces such as bayonet attaching and whatnot. Which would clearly require a mod (and much animation as well).

Upvote 0
that is a server option. Find a server that has it disabled.

A great suggestion but there are 3 problems with that:

1. I have a filter for realism servers, and those all have it enables

2. there are barely any realism servers to begin with, much less one with that option

3. There is no way for me to filter servers out that have this feature.

I'm just saying an Ost Front mod should have it disabled by default

Upvote 0
I'm no Coder or Programmer and to be honest not that much of a modder. The most I can do is map at the moment. This Idea of mine was to kind of create Red Orchestra 2 the way the Ostfront Veterans wanted it. If this project gets off the ground, it will be a Realistic and Historically Correct version of Red Orchestra 2. We will get rid of the things that were not need in Red Orchestra 2 and replace them with the things that were left behind in RO1.

Some Ideas;
- Get Rid of Ranking system
- Get Rid of Unrealistic Guns and Attachments
- Regular Class System (No Hero or ranking stuff)

I would like to see the Hero feature remain though as I think a fully realized feature of the Hero can add a tactical role to the gameplay. It's similar to a Commander or Squad Leader as it has special field abilities (Morale boost, etc.) but is unique enough to differentiate it from the other special roles.

The ranking to me is okay if it was implemented in a way where more experience players can attain Hero (one per each side obviously) are of those of higher levels.

This will at the least theoretically help a bit with giving more consideration to more experienced players with special roles. Also retaining the avatar looks of fresh soldiers in comparison with the dirtier, experienced ones as one ranks up.

Just get rid of the weapon unlocks that don't fit the scope of the original RO and make the more historically typical weapons available to everyone like you suggested.

Code the game to play like RO, you already hit some of the high points in your initial post, although I'd keep mantling and dump cover. Get the weapons and vehicles to function like in Ostfront, get the avatars to work the same way, and we will be well on the way.

Why dump cover? If you're going to take on this endeavor I'd suggest to at least refine some of the added features RO2 has instead of eliminating them. Cover, while clunky in some circumstances, is still very innovative and brings a immersion element to the game. I say try and refine cover instead of dumping it completely.

Like Stalin said "Not one step back." This should be an evolution, moving forward with the potential of a RO:Ost in this age of gaming. You want to keep the features that push innovation forward and bring in the beloved game play mechanics of RO:Ost as well.

Edit: Just thought too. Seeing as RO2 is 64 players. The maps that we take from RO1 might need some editing to basically make larger to play a bit better.

Some scaling and re-visioning would need to be done. The scale of everything seems bigger in RO2. Maps can easily be converted but with larger scaling, the use of cover and numerous RO2 features that you do plan to retain have to be considered with the re-working of older existing maps.

Also the pace and paths of older maps need tweaking. Similar to what TWI did with Apartments from Danzig, some places on older maps need to be opened up, closed and alternate routes implemented. Some of the old maps in the new RO2 engine would be breathtaking to say the least like Leningrad and Zoobunker to mention a couple.

Besides my critiques, of which I hope no one finds offensive, you guys have my full support. If I had any inkling to modding games or using the UDK I would have given you my time with it without a doubt. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I was just coming to this forum to post this suggestion. Glad you made it.

I suggest instead of making any maps, we focus on just the coding aspect, getting the game to play like RO. Get rid of the arcadey junk, get it to require the kind of teamwork we all came to love. Porting maps over from Ostfront is relatively simple, and frankly I don't care where it's set, Stalingrad or Leningrad or Berlin are the same to me if the game is fun.

Code the game to play like RO, you already hit some of the high points in your initial post, although I'd keep mantling and dump cover. Get the weapons and vehicles to function like in Ostfront, get the avatars to work the same way, and we will be well on the way.

Yep it doesn't need to be graphically intensive or involve making new maps. Just get the code tweaked and some stuff removed. Taking off bayonet's would require more work than it's worth, and would come much later if it did. Just remove unlocks for now I guess but keep stuff that was in RO:O like Bayos if possible.

I think a high quality mutator would be better because it will take less time to make and it wont need a separate client

Mutator would definitely be better if it would mean having a separate client with a mod. That might not even take off if people can't just join form the regular server browser

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question. Will be difficult, complex and durable to make a mod where only haveto change the bullet damage system, recoil system, stamina and moral system, and not much more?
I mean, this is not like Darkest Hour, Rising Storm or Iron Europe, we don't need to change de avatars, maps, and weapons skins...

some actions like get rid of ranking system or get rid of unrealistic guns and attachments, or this **** of "heros" should not take too long, right?
I do not know much about modding, but I think it really takes time is the creation of new maps, skins, weapons ...

And yeah, I'm agree to keep the cover and supressing system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry but cover is a great features, it add immersion and new realistic functionality (like peeking out). The cover allow us to reload our MG safely or just keep your head down some time when you're fired at.

Weapons for me works well. The problem is the character who is always stable when he hold his gun, and don't feel the effects of being shoot (casual injuries system). The penetration is a nice thing too, I was bored by the super-armoured wooden desk in RO. The sight adjustment system is another great add, etc...

And i don't want to come back to RO: ost ping pong tank. RO2 tanking just need to get improved, enhanced, no a step back to the stupid ping pong crazy armoured Russian tanks like in RO: ost, where a T34 eat a tiger in one or two shots.

I you mean the avatar movements i find them fine and more fluid. The main problem for me is the sway and the ridiculously low level of suppression (even the ost one was best).

Maybe I'm wrong, but it think the goal of this mod is to make this game more authentic and realistic by including some of the realistic features from RO: ost that are missing to keep the RO spirit. For the others features already in place, they just need to be improved if they need to be.

I don't think it will be a simple clone of our old RO: ost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe I'm wrong, but it think the goal of this mod is to make this game more authentic and realistic by including some of the realistic features from RO: ost that are missing to keep the RO spirit. For the others features already in place, they just need to be improved if they need to be.

I don't think it will be a simple clone of our old RO: ost.

true

Upvote 0
Could we, uh, get a map where the average engagement distance is further than ~25M?

I like my rifles. I'd like to use them at their intended ranges. The longest shot I've made is ~230M. This disappoints me, considering I was given the ability to adjust my fire for range and yet my weapons never have to come off the 100M setting.

Sway would be nice, and perhaps increasing the ADS time as well (srsly, my player has liek, Sleight of Hand Pro and stuff).

- Scratch the MKB-42. It's retarded.
- Scratch the MG-34's snail drum. Also retarded.
- Scratch the AVT. It serves no purpose, considering its users were ordered to keep the weapon on semi-automatic after everybody realized how stupid it was to put 7.62x54R in a relatively light automatic rifle.
- Scratch the MP-40/II. It's ugly.
- Default to drum magazines on the PPSH-41s. F*ck "balance;" I'm plenty effective with both weapons.
- Detachable bayonets if it's possible, please.
- ZF-41 needs some FOV work. While I've never shot using that particular scope, I have shot with a scout-mounted (meaning, forward of the action) scope; I don't remember looking through a straw while doing so.
- Increase suppression effects. They're currently worthless. I'm talking "I have an MG-42, this street is locked down, and if my enemy isn't dead, he's sh*tting his pants"-style effects. Vastly increased sway, that bounce-off-the-target effect that DH had, tunnel vision (could theoretically be done by an airbrush effect around the sides of the screen), decreased sound volume/echo-ey sound, etc.
- On that note, belt-fed LMGs for the Germans. Could just cannibalize the animations from the mounted MG-34s. Make the trade-off no hipfire, and leave the Russians with that option to compensate for their inferior technology.
- Jams/stoppages would be pretty cool IMO. Bolt-actions should have few jams, while more complicated weapons (semi-auto rifles/SMGs/LMGs) should have more frequent jams.
- Bayonets as a default item, rather than an unlockable. SVT-40, M-91/30, K-98K, etc. should all have them without me needing to get fifty kills with the red dot sight.

Upvote 0