• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Startup Crash

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2500 MHz with 4094MB RAM
Video: No Video

Assertion failed: GetClassInfoExW( NULL, WinBaseClass, &Cls ) [File:.\Window.cpp] [Line: 1059]

History: WControl::RegisterWindowClass <- UWindowManager::UWindowManager <- InitWindowing <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 42652236 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

This is the error I recieve everytime I try to start up KF.

I have looked through the forums and tried all the things I can find;
Deleting KillingFloor.ini (5 times)
Reinstalling (twice)
changing the ram size in killingfloor.ini

Not sure what else to do if anyone can help

My specs are;
Windows 7 64-bit
4Gb ram
geforce 9600gt

all current drivers etc

Not sure if this will help but here it is for my most recent attepmt at starting the game

Log: Log file open, 01/24/11 21:09:38
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1 (Build: 7600)
Init: Version: 3339 (128.29)
Init: Compiled: Jan 3 2011 18:50:36
Init: Command line:
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\System\
Init: Ini:KillingFloor.ini UserIni:User.ini
Init: Build label: Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Critical: Assertion failed: GetClassInfoExW( NULL, WinBaseClass, &Cls ) [File:.\Window.cpp] [Line: 1059]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Class does not exist. (1411)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Critical: WControl::RegisterWindowClass
Critical: UWindowManager::UWindowManager
Critical: InitWindowing
Critical: FMallocWindows::Free
Critical: FMallocWindows::Realloc
Critical: 42652236 0 FArray
Critical: FArray::Realloc
Critical: 0*2
Critical: FMallocWindows::Free
Localization: No localization: Window.IDDIALOG_CrashBox.IDC_CrashBox (int)
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 4 MByte 983 KByte 812 Bytes from HD took 0.012000 seconds (0.012000 reading, 0.000000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.039000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 01/24/11 21:09:44

Upvote 0
I have now downloaded the game on to a friends laptop and tested it, that works. So I decided to use the ini file to try to see if the settings in that allowed it to work on my desktop it didn't. I then replaced the systems folder with the one from the laptop and that didn't work either(same OS)

I would appreciate more help with this error as its stopping me playing the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Make sure that DirectX is updated. If that fails, and you've made sure your graphics drivers are up to date as you say, you could try copying the whole KF folder from the laptop to your PC. It might take a long time but you'd then know more or less for sure that it's something other than the game files.

Upvote 0
any help available? I have had this post up for a few days now and I have only received 2 posts that are not mine?

I don't mean to sound rude and this is not in an offence manner but this is the support forum by the creators of this game and I was told in a link from the steam forum to post any problems here, yet there has only been 2 people who have posted.

I am very grateful to help from Morello and Yoshiro but I would like to get more help to solve a problem that does not allow me to play this game.

Like I have posted if you need any infomation from me I can get it on here asap.

Thank you

Upvote 0
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=670748&postcount=7

That likely contains your answer. Note that I arrived at that from searching google for the error present in your logfile, which took me to the forums and the original post by Bl@ckvoid - and my follow-up on it recently. No-one else is posting because it's an obscure problem, and you had to do the likely things first. Hopefully that solves it for you - you'll have to search your windows\system and windows\system32 folders to see if that's the problem, and if so acquire the file specified yourself.

Upvote 0
I have tried the link and followed the info in there, sadly I have that files specified and tried the game to no avail. I then decided to get the same file off of the laptop that can play KF and copied it over after some fighting with my own computer on who actually owns that file. I then tried the game again and exactly the same error comes up.

I appreciate the quick answer and I hope more become available its just I am getting very frustrated with this and its winding me up.

any more ideas I would appreciate :)

Thank you for the support

Upvote 0