• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Friends not convinced?

If the graphics alone make them inclined not to buy, then they aren't going to care enough about a youtube video that probably doesn't look that great. And quite honestly the game is a little graphicly dated. The indoor textures are disgusting. The way you can see the pattern marks of shrapnel or dings in the wall is something COD: MW had alot of. From a distance it loos like eric cartmen painted **** in the houses of stalingrad.

But they're probably using that as an excuse because honestly the gameplay videos of recent have been crap. Regardless if this is a legit 4v4 it doesn't show the game as its supposed to be, platoon vs platoon combat.

But thats not what sells people on playing games. None of my friends were ever interested in Il-2, Red Orchestra, or ARMA because preview videos or graphics. But after they saw me ram into a He bomber, spray machine gun rounds into a squad, and shoot someone in the chest from 400m away to watch them ragdoll in the desert respectivly.... Well then I was forced into teaching my COD playing friends how to play Il-2, RO, and ARMA. I literally cannot play ARMA 2 around my friends anymore. They all want me to whip up some crazy 30 minute firefight in editor(Which i have pre-made now, only my one friend has managed to conquer my ARMA 2 gas station fort held by spetznaz :D )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the graphics alone make them inclined not to buy, then they aren't going to care enough about a youtube video that probably doesn't look that great. And quite honestly the game is a little graphicly dated. The indoor textures are disgusting. The way you can see the pattern marks of shrapnel or dings in the wall is something COD: MW had alot of. From a distance it loos like eric cartmen painted **** in the houses of stalingrad.

I didn't think the graphics were THAT bad, I mean everyone here knows it's not BF3 or Crysis2, but TWI is working with what they can, they don't have some fancy engine and you have to remember their background and how they came about. Also it's been said plenty of times that the beta is nothing close to what the finalized product will be, gameplay and enviroment wise. I doubt they update the friends and family beta.

It wasn't fraps or anything in the TB video but it a good decent quality with excellent sound. If anything, I think the gun sounds, character voicing, and dynamic music really caught my attention more than the scenery.

But that's just me :)

Upvote 0
Based on the total biscuits latest video all 4 of my friends say they won't be getting the game. Now, obviously they are stupid, but I imagine their might be some other people out their with unconvinced friends.

So why? What reasons are they giving? What have you told them?

Firstly. I've told them not to judge the game based of a small 4v4-5v5 video. There really isn't a lot going on in those videos. Even for me...

Their reasons though are mainly graphical. Apparently the game looks outdated. This I can't understand because the game seems to look fairly standard for todays current gaming climate.

Secondly, They have all pre-ordered battlefield 3 which they say will be a far superior game in every way including team work. Surely this isn't the case as battlefield has always been a a very independent game compared to, lets say, ArmA. It has to be to appeal to a lot of players.

-

Anyone else experiencing annoying friends who can't justify their answers? =)
let them play the beta

Upvote 0
I can understand their judgement. Most people resist change and won't focus on the game/video due to preset biases. So, they end up with a half assed opinion of the game because they didn't really participate. The only real way I have seen actually convince people to get another type of game is by accident. Meaning, they catch you playing (not forcing it upon them) or watching. People hate being forced into something, even if it is "better", so you need for them to think they are making the decision to switch (or buy both) to RO2.

This is how I converted several CoD friends to BF (which imo is a much better series, so at least your friends aren't CoD fanboys. BF fanboys are only slightly better though...).

Upvote 0
I didn't think the graphics were THAT bad, I mean everyone here knows it's not BF3 or Crysis2, but TWI is working with what they can, they don't have some fancy engine and you have to remember their background and how they came about.

Oh don't get me wrong. I still play the original OFP from time to time. Im just trying to say it honestly looks a tad outdated, and some kids only think graphics. But like I was saying just show them YOU playing the game. My friends thought ARMA2 looked like poopy in the previews, but when I was calling them over to the screen going "Look at this!!! *Bam bam BOOOM!* they suddenly wanted to play.

Now a year down the road and I've built a literall gas station fort to keep them busy. Entrenchements, tank traps, land mine scripts, urban patrol script(So they enemy flank/counterattacks/ect alot more effectivly and as an actual fighting force.)

Basicly I'm saying just wait until your in a good match with your favorite weapon after RO 2 comes out. Then call them over to the screen to show them you shooting some guy in chest, or lobbing a grenade into a MG nest and seeing a leg fly out the bunker slit. Those are the things that'll get them to buy it. Seeing their friend have fun with a game they might like, and knowing they'll be able to play with you aswell, will get them to purchase it. Just don't expect a gameplay video to change the world :D

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
Problem is the definition of good graphics these days. Most people say arma2 looks like crap even though it is probably the best in the market? Why do people think it sucks? Because it doesn't add copious amounts of bloom and shine likeother, lesser games. Don't believe me? Look at CoD, and especially crysis 2 (though the latter is good, it is inferior to crysis 1 IMO)

Upvote 0
Problem is the definition of good graphics these days. Most people say arma2 looks like crap even though it is probably the best in the market? Why do people think it sucks? Because it doesn't add copious amounts of bloom and shine likeother, lesser games. Don't believe me? Look at CoD, and especially crysis 2 (though the latter is good, it is inferior to crysis 1 IMO)
Those are the people who haven't even played Arma 2 on a decent computer. When you get into the game you immediately realize how impressive the scenery is.

Your very first sentence proves a great point. Plenty of people think minecraft has good looking graphics and I'd agree with that, they are actually aesthetically nice looking, despite not having the most groundbreaking new technology.
People like a shiny new coat of paint to go over their games.

Upvote 0
I totally agree. I don't have that great of a computer for ArmA 2, but even on mediumish settings, the nighttime lighting on the models of infantry is simply breathtaking.

And minecraft does have great graphics because of the art style and intended purpose. It purposefully goes for the old 8 bit style of graphics in an innovative, 3d art style. However, other shooters like Crysis 2, CoD, etc, market their graphics as "groundbreaking" new tech. In terms of Crysis 2, that is just overdone motion blur. In terms of CoD, they just lather on the bloom. Lather. Bathe. Dump.

Upvote 0
Oh don't get me wrong. I still play the original OFP from time to time. Im just trying to say it honestly looks a tad outdated, and some kids only think graphics. But like I was saying just show them YOU playing the game. My friends thought ARMA2 looked like poopy in the previews, but when I was calling them over to the screen going "Look at this!!! *Bam bam BOOOM!* they suddenly wanted to play.

Now a year down the road and I've built a literall gas station fort to keep them busy. Entrenchements, tank traps, land mine scripts, urban patrol script(So they enemy flank/counterattacks/ect alot more effectivly and as an actual fighting force.)

Basicly I'm saying just wait until your in a good match with your favorite weapon after RO 2 comes out. Then call them over to the screen to show them you shooting some guy in chest, or lobbing a grenade into a MG nest and seeing a leg fly out the bunker slit. Those are the things that'll get them to buy it. Seeing their friend have fun with a game they might like, and knowing they'll be able to play with you aswell, will get them to purchase it. Just don't expect a gameplay video to change the world :D

It's a cam, so obviously the graphics aren't going to look as good as if you play the game.

Upvote 0

Yes Arma 2 most likely does have the best graphics on the market right now, and yes Crysis 2 is VERY inferior to Crysis 1.

Red Orchestra 2's graphics are not out dated at all.

Upvote 0