• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Avt40?

Zaqq

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
Ukraine
Really AVT40 didn't existed. There only was the Automatic Tokarev's carbine. It was a shortened SVT variant with full-auto fire mode. You can only find old manuals for SVT and automatic carbine (I have one scanned, 80 page manual dated 1938). Only automatic rifle before 1941 that Soviets have was AVS-36. Image from manual:

Attachments

• automatic tokarev's carbine pic.jpg
    automatic tokarev's carbine pic.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm confused!

Svt40-1941.jpg

I'm confused, you are saying that ^ has never existed?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The AVT-40 was simply an SVT-40 designed for automatic fire. The '40' in the name can be confusing as the AVT-40 was not built until 1942. Although it may have been at Stalingrad, the design was ultimately a failure. My personal opinion is the Mkb42 and AVT-40 should not be in the game for historical accuracy. I understand the desire for variety, so in the end these weapons don't bother me too much, at least for pub play. There is however a mod planned/in the works with the goal of 'extending' realism if you will, and in it both of these weapons will likely be removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CopperHead
Upvote 0
Really AVT40 didn't existed.

Ofcourse it did.

Would have been better choise to be implemented in game, allthough in the times of Stalingrad there very probably was not a single AVS-36 on the field anymore.

But one thing that is right is existence of automatic carbine based on SVT.

SVT-40 carbine was very rare and many (most) of those were sort of "field modification cut outs" made from SVT-40s.

The AVT-40 was simply an SVT-40 designed for automatic fire.

Yes, the only change was made to the safety. It was made to selector by filing it it a bit. They also added a more robust stock to handle the punishment of strong recoil when fired in auto. Soon they noticed that even that did not cure the problem.

The '40' in the name can be confusing as the AVT-40 was not built until 1942. Although it may have been at Stalingrad, the design was ultimately a failure.

Wasn

Upvote 0
I read ( dont remember where) that around the time they started producing the rifle all of those using it were ordered to keep it in semi mode. ( not that one would always obey... ).

I'm going to venture a guess that the AVT-40 wont be much more then a 7.62 urination system in full auto and it will be just a special gun for some old farts to use, the only main difference being in the name, not in how anyone chooses to use it...

( has flash back to the early ppsh in ro, 3 rnd burst and the barrel was all they way over your head and half way up yer arse )

Upvote 0
would be nice to see jamming, as I'm sure it would be likely in the case of the avt-40.

Could be a nice gimmick :), however it would distract from balanced gameplay in my opinion having weapons jam at random. It sure is realistic that it could/would happen depending on weapon/condition but it would be really annoying from a gameplay standpoint.

I am sure some disagree but thats my guess why we'll never see this implemented officially by TWI, however it could be done quite easily by some experienced modders.

Upvote 0
I read ( dont remember where) that around the time they started producing the rifle all of those using it were ordered to keep it in semi mode. ( not that one would always obey... ).

You are correct, since very soon after the production started they noticed that the rifles are very prone to break down when shot full auto. To avoid that they gave order that full auto mode was allowed to be used only in certain situations by direct order from the NCO.

would be nice to see jamming, as I'm sure it would be likely in the case of the avt-40.

AVT-40 was hardly more prone to jams than the SVT-40. When kept clean, both worked just fine. The AVT-40 stock and mechanism just could not take the recoil, when shot full auto.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, any documented sources for AVT?

What? Do you really suspect, that the AVT-40 did not exist? Are you kidding or what? :confused:
Look for example from here.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/RIFLES4.htm

Jaegerplatoon.net said:
AVT-40 automatic rifle was accepted to manufacturing in May of 1942 and the first weapons came out of production line already in July of the same year. The reason allowing advance as fast as this was rather simple - the changes required for making SVT-40 select-fire automatic were only minor. Only real changes happened in trigger mechanism. While in SVT-40 the safety switch had only two settings - (semi auto) fire and safe, in AVT-40 the switch had also full auto setting for automatic fire. However, likely AVT-40 were used mostly in semi auto mode, as full automatic fire was quite difficult to control and durability proved to be an issue. All the reliability issues of SVT-40 were still included to the design and now the automatic fire caused additional problems. The main visual difference between SVT-40 and AVT-40 is in their muzzle brakes. Muzzle brake of AVT-40 has only 4 large vents - 2 in each side. In addition new stronger stock version was manufactured for AVT-40. Sometimes AVT-40 muzzle brakes and/or AVT-40 stocks can be found in SVT-40 rifles, but these might be results of later repairs and arsenal refurb work. The Soviets stopped manufacturing of AVT-40 in summer of 1943.

And I was earlier very wrong. Production of AVT-40 started already in May 1942 and the first rifle came out from the line in July, so I should think that AVT-40 was definitely present in Stalingrad. So it is not an "imagine" gun at all...Sometimes it

Last edited:
Upvote 0