• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us out Map Vote Yes or No ?

Help us out Map Vote Yes or No ?

• Yes

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 57 60.0%

• Total voters

HiveGaming.net

Sep 12, 2011
We are trying to setup the best possible server config for the community we can!

When we had map vote on the server it stayed packed, however, on the forums a lot of people were complaining and asking server admins to remove map vote. My question to you guys is should map vote be ON or OFF ?

Our Map Rotation
Feel free to leave feedback on the map rotation

#1 Spartanovka
#2 Grain Elevator
#3 Red October Factory
#4 Apartments
#5 Commisar's House
#6 Pavlov's House
#7 Fallen Fighters
#8 Barracks
#9 Station

One of the reasons a lot of people on the forums want it off (me included) is because at the moment it's broken.

When people vote the map list resets for everyone, so if for example i'm scrolling down the list to pick a map and someone else votes before me my list jumps back to the top again, this happens every time meaning on larger servers it can be really hard to vote for a map lower in the list.

Others things people want aswell is to make it so the last played map (or 2) aren't in the list to choose so you can get to play other maps and not just the same ones over and over again.

Once the above is fixed i'd love map vote to be on, for the time being i prefer servers with a nice rotation (with some CD people!).
---
Just do what you feel is best though, cater for what you want your server to be NOT what others want it to be.

Upvote 0
I voted no, because no matter how hard you try, maps will get ignored by 'majority vote' and only 3 will get played usually. Players can be lazy and fear the unknown when offered the choice, but many actually enjoy a challenge when faced with facts. By disallowing voting they will get to know all the maps, not just 1 1/2.

There was an option in RO1 where you could disallow a re-vote for a played map until a number of different maps have been played. So you could only vote for apartments again after the server had rotated through 4 5 or 6 other maps, whatever you would set it to.
I can't recall currently if we actually have this in RO2 as well.

Also, broken voting = rotation. Sorry for that ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I voted no, because no matter how hard you try, maps will get ignored by 'majority vote' and only 3 will get played usually. Players can be lazy and fear the unknown when offered the choice, but many actually enjoy a challenge when faced with facts. By disallowing voting they will get to know all the maps, not just 1 1/2.

This. Rotation is usually best, except for servers that relly on fast turn over of players. If you want people to stick around then you should give them variety. If you just want people hopping on for a quick game then map vote

Upvote 0
There was an option in RO1 where you could disallow a re-vote for a played map until a number of different maps have been played. So you could only vote for apartments again after the server had rotated through 4 5 or 6 other maps, whatever you would set it to.
I can't recall currently if we actually have this in RO2 as well.

I don't think there is an option for that, or at least i've not seen a server use it if it is there.

Best way to have it really as it's a good way to get voting in BUT at the same time give a decent rotation.

Upvote 0
Only thing with rotation though is you should probably stick to one game mode. People will be more likely to want to play the game mode they played before IMO, and will find a server for whichever game mode they want to play. Personally if I was playing Territory and then a FF map comes on, I would likely disconnect. Same with CD for now, depending on the map and if I can be bothered

Upvote 0
I can't vote on any maps that are below the scroll. I don't know if I can't figure it out, or it's broken. But until it's fixed, that rotation looks good to me.

Yeah the scroll is possible, but you really have to fight it, as everytime someone clicks something, your list jumps back to the top, which is crappy when you're tryingt o vote for Pav's House which is always at the bottom of the list.

Then you vote for it and let the vote system countdown, then suddenly your vote and the map in the list vanishes and you have to try and get it back.

I'd say leave the vote system off.... not so much due to the bugs, but more so because way too many people continually vote for the same 2-3 maps over and over again.

I'd rather be forced to cycle maps and play ones I don't care too much for, than to be forced to play the same 2-3 maps over and over again, or go to another server and do the same thing.

Upvote 0
Sticking with servers with the map rotation for now, until they unbug map voting. In general, I like the option to vote if it's there. Eventually I find rotation servers that play exactly what I want....but voting is fine with me, because variety is important, and I'd hate to see the server browser filled with:

24/7 Apartments
24/7 Barracks
24/7 Station

ect....Some of the worst games I've had in MP shooters are a on server where the people there have literally played a single map for 3 months.

Upvote 0
Sasquatch, can you tell us what direction you all intend to take with the voting interface? Will it continue to be the current scrolling model or something else?

Personally, I'm hoping for something else. With all the game type and map combinations, the scrolling list just seems far to weighed down to me. Maybe splitting it off into one selection for game mode and another for map would prove easier. Of course, since not all modes are available on all maps, the map selection would have to come first with only the allowed game mode selections available based on chosen map.

Just my $.02.

-EDIT- To the OP, perhaps add a "Not until it's fixed" option? I voted no in the current poll, but would have voted for this suggestion were it present.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sticking with servers with the map rotation for now, until they unbug map voting. In general, I like the option to vote if it's there. Eventually I find rotation servers that play exactly what I want....but voting is fine with me, because variety is important, and I'd hate to see the server browser filled with:

24/7 Apartments
24/7 Barracks
24/7 Station

ect....Some of the worst games I've had in MP shooters are a on server where the people there have literally played a single map for 3 months.
Agreed

Upvote 0
Sasquatch, can you tell us what direction you all intend to take with the voting interface? Will it continue to be the current scrolling model or something else?

Personally, I'm hoping for something else. With all the game type and map combinations, the scrolling list just seems far to weighed down to me. Maybe splitting it off into one selection for game mode and another for map would prove easier. Of course, since not all modes are available on all maps, the map selection would have to come first with only the allowed game mode selections available based on chosen map.

Just my $.02.

-EDIT- To the OP, perhaps add a "Not until it's fixed" option?

To me it needs to not remove the least voted on maps. (Maybe this is part of the bug.) People just start clicking like mad once ANY map shows up on the list and it's just kind of absurd to watch the map names go up, go down, disappear...only to reappear seconds later.

Also please order the maps by MAP NAME first and foremost. There is no reason Barracks-FF should be at the top of the list and Barracks-TE should be in the bottom middle, with Barracks-CD somewhere else entirely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0