• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Infantry support for tanks idea!

Indeed it does. The people who use the term "Manpurse" are most often the ones who are constantly killed by them. Bitter, perhaps?

To the Original Poster:

None of this is personal. Once again, ask Teq. I hate being forced to play a certain way, and this idea would certainly reinforce that.

See, if this idea was included, we would see the rise of a new breed of "Tank Whores," people who just run near tanks, tell the tanks to stop, and rack up unmerited points by sniping harmless riflemen 100m away.

Sure, the idea sounds great in theory - "Everyone move with the tank!"

But this has the effect of punishing those that don't, which is unfair. Players should be able to make their own tactical decisions - we call this free will.

Please, don't impose your will on others just so you don't get Shambeh Bambeh'd.

Upvote 0
A game can never imitate real life because players don't care if they die. So if you have tanks in an urban infantry map, you'll have Germans/Russians suiciding with a panzerfaust in hand.

Thats why there should be dead is dead maps or a lot more limited respawn so that there are consequences for the morons that go on the unrealistic suicide runs.

Upvote 0
Indeed it does. The people who use the term "Manpurse" are most often the ones who are constantly killed by them. Bitter, perhaps?

To the Original Poster:

None of this is personal. Once again, ask Teq. I hate being forced to play a certain way, and this idea would certainly reinforce that.

See, if this idea was included, we would see the rise of a new breed of "Tank Whores," people who just run near tanks, tell the tanks to stop, and rack up unmerited points by sniping harmless riflemen 100m away.

Sure, the idea sounds great in theory - "Everyone move with the tank!"

But this has the effect of punishing those that don't, which is unfair. Players should be able to make their own tactical decisions - we call this free will.

Please, don't impose your will on others just so you don't get Shambeh Bambeh'd.

I can tell you were never in the military and had to follow orders! lol

Upvote 0
Honestly this would be great for a fairly enclosed close quarters map with ambush positions on either side of the road that only the opposing team can get at easily. The troops on the ground would have to fight to protect the one piece of armor they had so that when they came up on the bigger objectives in open ground the armor can turn and give them a mobile piece of cover.

Upvote 0
I would 'draw' a rectangle around the tank.
Everyone inside this rectangle around a crewed tank(atleast one man) will earn not only his own points for killing enemies, capping objectives, et cetera, but also all points the tank crew gets.
Maybe he could also earn an extra point for killing AT-soldiers or enemies coming towards the tank with a satchel/PTRD/PfFst in his hands.
The end of the rectangle should be ~2m away from the tank hull.

Maybe you could even add a bonus for everyone who stays for some time(15-30secs) inside the rectangle.

This should make supporting a tank attractive enough for public players.

Upvote 0
Ah, man, here we go again.

I would 'draw' a rectangle around the tank.
Everyone inside this rectangle around a crewed tank(atleast one man) will earn not only his own points for killing enemies, capping objectives, et cetera, but also all points the tank crew gets.

Because that is sooooo realistic. So, now we have the best gunner being supported all the time for "tank points," and the noobie gunner gets no support because they only have a couple kills? Yeah, great teamwork.

Maybe he could also earn an extra point for killing AT-soldiers or enemies coming towards the tank with a satchel/PTRD/PfFst in his hands.
The end of the rectangle should be ~2m away from the tank hull.

Really? Huh. Whoulda thunk it that me killing a Panzerfauster when I'm 2.00001 meters away from the tank isn't really supporting the tank - it's only when I'm 2m away or less. I guess I missed the part where that made sense.

Maybe you could even add a bonus for everyone who stays for some time(15-30secs) inside the rectangle.

Yeah, so people are encouraged even more to have a reason not to move to a cap zone. Since tanks rarely are capping, this leads to "tank whores," good points, but no teamplay.

This should make supporting a tank attractive enough for public players.

Yep. What I've found is that if a tanker does his job and covers the infantry, the infantry usually returns the favor. We don't need to change the points system just because your teammates are dicks.

[sarcasm\]
Why don't we add this feature around Squad Leaders? We don't want them to get shot, so let's have the exact same system....
[/sarcasm]

Upvote 0
Because that is sooooo realistic. So, now we have the best gunner being supported all the time for "tank points," and the noobie gunner gets no support because they only have a couple kills? Yeah, great teamwork.
Wouldn't be a problem when there would be just one tank, in an urban map, for example.
When having more tanks...have top think about it.

Really? Huh. Whoulda thunk it that me killing a Panzerfauster when I'm 2.00001 meters away from the tank isn't really supporting the tank - it's only when I'm 2m away or less. I guess I missed the part where that made sense.

I'm really sorry, mate, but:
What the hell would you suggest, when everything we say here is not good enough for you?
I do not want to be aggressive or offending, but this is the only idea how to implement an attractive system at the moment.
Sometimes, you can not have everything and all as perfect as you want to have it.
But when you have a better idea - just post it.

Yeah, so people are encouraged even more to have a reason not to move to a cap zone. Since tanks rarely are capping, this leads to "tank whores," good points, but no teamplay.
Was just another possibility.
Of course, normally tanks are not going into the capzone - at the moment.
When we would have a map where atleast one capzone is attractive not only for infantry, but also for tanks, I'm sure players would use the tank as rolling and shooting cover.
And maybe it would also be possible to implement a system that stops the increasement of points when the tank stands longer than 15, 30 or what-know-I seconds.
Should solve the problem.

Yep. What I've found is that if a tanker does his job and covers the infantry, the infantry usually returns the favor. We don't need to change the points system just because your teammates are dicks.
When you are lucky, you will find some guys on a server willing to work as a real team on a combined arms map.
But mostly, you will (sadly) not find such guys.
A point system could encourage much more players to help the tanks.

~Richard_B.

Upvote 0
Wow you really must be bored :rolleyes:

Listen, tanks & infantry are like 2 separate species in this game, that dont behave like they're even fighting for the same side! Infantry only care about their own re-enforcement count from depleting and give no value to tanks when completing objectives! This both looks and feels unrealistic and arcady and takes away any so called 'realism' Red Orchestra thrives for!!

The only time I feel this game is realistic, read gritty and a real struggle, is when I play infantry only maps!!

Why have tanks thrown in, if realism takes a back seat and it turns into a massive free-for-all...

Upvote 0