• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Alternate Fire 1+2

HardEdge

Jan 6, 2011
It's usefull to have commands bound to your mouse: changing weapon, fireing, iron sight, throwing grenades,alternate fire.
These are mostly the action commands (movement is usually bound to keyboard keys), and why are they usefull to be bound to mouse keys? Because they are the commands used the most. But it's not so much fun if you dont have enough mouse buttons on your mouse.

So what bugs me is the following:

Fireing is mouse1 button
Iron Sight is mouse2 button This is good configuration for any non berserk perk
you dont need alternate fire that much so it can easily be bound to keyboard

Fireing is mouse1 button
alternateFire is mouse2 button This is good configuration for berserk perk
But what when u want to use iron sight to aim at crawlers from distance?

When playing berserk each time, i have to change mouse2 to alternate attack OR
I don't change it & I can't use my mouse2 to alt fire with axe/katana/.. (melees) & using a keyboard bind for alternate fire affects my movement.

Since melee weapons dont have iron sight, my suggestion is replace the iron sight command for melee weapons to alternate fire.

Situation now:
20hv9s1.jpg

How I'd like it to be:
35kllbd.jpg

Fire + ing =/= Fireing
Fire + ing = firing
"drop the e, add ing" helps me out a lot
Sorry, I'm the candlejack of spelling and grammar :D

As per your op:

Fantastic idea! I don't think people can have many complaints about this. Other than the "It doesn't affect me, so just go out of your way to do X" types :rolleyes:

No, i'm the candlejack of spelling and grammar, you just beat me to it :p

Upvote 0
I think it's a terrible idea. I actually use ironsights on the shotguns. Also, I don't want to have to use my ironsights key/button to use alt fire on some weapons. And you completely forgot about the MP7, which using your scheme would be left either without ironsights or without alt fire (and both are very needed).

Why is it such a problem just to change your controls and make ironsights something else?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aze, _Duke_ and 9_6
Upvote 0
Fire + ing =/= Fireing
Fire + ing = firing

As per your op:

Fantastic idea! I don't think people can have many complaints about this. Other than the "It doesn't affect me, so just go out of your way to do X" types :rolleyes:

You must be Jesus in disguise because you said candlejack with ending your sente

Upvote 0
without ironsights or without alt fire (and both are very needed).
His suggestion only removes iron sights (and replaces it with the alt-fire ability) if there is no iron sights for the weapon/tool. So it should only affect knife, machete, axe, chainsaw, syringe, and welder, though for some reason he also suggested removing iron sights from the hunting shotgun.

Still, I agree that he should just change his controls.

noupperlobeman said:
Other than the "It doesn't affect me, so just go out of your way to do X" types
That can be said for any argument and is irrelevant. You did not address that there is already many ways for him to deal with this slight inconvenience without having TWI fix it for him.

Reactions: 9_6
Upvote 0
You must be Jesus in disguise because you said candlejack with ending your sente

I don't play that silly game. I rage every time I see it when I am lurking.

That can be said for any argument and is irrelevant. You did not address that there is already many ways for him to deal with this slight inconvenience without having TWI fix it for him.

I was speaking more in generalities. It can't be said for every argument, because it can't apply to every argument.

I was using that statement to make a point. "because it doesn't affect me" is not a good enough reason why TWI (or a community modder) shouldn't implement a decent system for everyone.

Sure, its cool if you are presenting an opinion that way, for example: "I don't use the firebug, so I wouldn't care if they nerfed/buffed it." But some people use it as their only idea to defend their stance on community issues: "I hate the berserker, TWI needs to get rid of it. Because I don't like it, and I say so."

Anyone making these statements are disregarding the community as a whole just because they feel it doesn't serve their own best interest.

There are many ways for him to fix his problem, but he gave a reason(s) why he can't/wont. But there is one way for TWI to make the game smoother for all.

I can't really understand why people would be against this idea."Because I don't like it/need it" doesn't hold enough substance for me. I respect your right to have an opinion, but I require more substance to be able to consider it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So much fyigm in here.
Right now right clicking with melee weapons does nothing.
Have it also do an altfire strike without removing the altfire function. Done.

Easier (and more sensible) solution: make right-click alt-fire, and make ironsights something else. This is IMO a much better mapping anyway. I use it and it works perfectly.

It's certainly better than merging the functionality of the two in some sort of strange context-sensitive manner. I mean his idea sounds just plain harmful: alt-fire command is alt-fire, but sometimes it's ironsights, and ironsights command also is ironsights... I see no logic in that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are many ways for him to fix his problem, but he gave a reason(s) why he can't/wont. But there is one way for TWI to make the game smoother for all.

I can't really understand why people would be against this idea."Because I don't like it/need it" doesn't hold enough substance for me. I respect your right to have an opinion, but I require more substance to be able to consider it.
TWI should not have to go out of it's way to accommodate everyone, all the time. They have much better things to do with their time (like making games) than to make coding changes (which are hard to do) to deal with an issue that could easily be mitigated by properly assigning controls. The controls work and the difference this change would make is next to nothing.

Upvote 0
Easier (and more sensible) solution: make right-click alt-fire, and make ironsights something else. This is IMO a much better mapping anyway. I use it and it works perfectly.

It's certainly better than merging the functionality of the two in some sort of strange context-sensitive manner. I mean his idea sounds just plain harmful: alt-fire command is alt-fire, but sometimes it's ironsights, and ironsights command also is ironsights... I see no logic in that.

Maybe that would make sense if melee weapons or the syringe had "ironsights" to begin with.

Upvote 0
Fire + ing =/= Fireing
Fire + ing = firing

As per your op:

No, I'm the Candlejack of spelling and grammar, but you both beat m--

Upvote 0