• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gamespot RO2 beta preview

IGN and Gamespot both get paid off. The reviews will show this.

*Edit* At least for IGN

Of course if you bothered to do your research, you'd see that they do the 'contrarian corner' feature on games that offer a different point of view from the sites review, as well as a feature with multiple writers giving their opinions about a game. But what can I expect from the internet? Conspiracies and zero research, that's what.

Upvote 0
It might be a short and not all that informative preview, however I think that its a good sign that its a positive preview and the reviewer seems to have bought into the realism & immersion philosophy. Gamespot, like nearly every game review site, will almost never badmouth a game in a preview, even if they can clearly tell the game is going to be crap. However, there is a difference in tone between games that they actually liked and games they are just previewing because its what they do. Generally with games that are going to be crap they just sort of run down what the features at release are supposed to be and pretty much avoid touching on thier actual gameplay experience. (Or if a game is in real trouble they will note "we ran into some problems that hopefully will be fixed") This preview is the opposite of that, the guy talks about his game experience so much he forgets to talk about the bullet point features.

Upvote 0
NO THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO REVIEW IT AFTER THIS

That review is practically legendary. G4/xplay inexplicably reviewed both ro1 and ww2ol within a short period of one another despite both having been out for quite a long while. Both video reviews consisted of pretty much nothing but "lol history nuts have sticks up thier asses" jokes and badly animated hitler heads popping up onscreen to spout jibberish. If you want to see for yourself you need to watch the video/tv reviews, the text reviews have some semblance of objectivity to them.

edit: I love in the ww2ol review, they basically state "Ugh, another WARGAME? BORING! Lets insult pete townshend!" That would be one thing if they were a company who advocated games without violence and with magical flying ponies. But when you basically exist to give the latest wargame by ea a 9, that complaint is about as hypocritical as you can get.

Here is that review:
http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/31670/battleground-europe-world-war-ii-online/review/

The review also shows them engaging in endless friendly fire while complaining that people don't die when you shoot them.......I mean........

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always just gloss over the big review sites.

You basically get not only the bias that would be associated with a newspaper but also the fanboys from the different platforms so it ends up being:

Game from smaller developer 0/10

Game from EA 9/10

Game on console that has two types of guns!!!1111 10/10

Upvote 0