• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron sight Free Aim [complaint]

DeuZerre

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2011
Hello. It's my second post on this forum but please don't disregard what I'm about to type for that reason.

I have a complaint about the free aim system being implemented in Iron Sight.

in real life, when you are pointing a rifle from the hip, it's pretty much like free aim. It's pretty rough and even if you somehow guess where you are shooting, you can't be certain, you point the weapon in a rough direction separated from where you are looking at.

But when you are aiming with the rifle [Iron sight] and move your rifle to follow a target or whatnot, it's the whole torso that's moving. The feeling you get there is the complete opposite from free aim: Your head, torso and arms are locked. If you aim up, you look up. The rifle is always in line with your eye, so the rifle is always in the center of your sight.

What we have in the demo... It doesn't fee right. At all. In RO1, it was right. Freeaim from the hip, locked aim in iron sight.

TripWire... how could you do this to us gun loons?

Actually you are right now that you mention it. If you own a gun, just try it. Aim down the sites of your weapon aim around. It stays locked in position and your entire upper body moves. Even if you don't own a gun just try it with a stick or something, it doesn't make sense that the gun isn't always locked in the center view when you aim down the sights. It's like your character isn't propping the weapon against his shoulder anymore when you look to the left and right.

Upvote 0
Hello. It's my second post on this forum but please don't disregard what I'm about to type for that reason.

I have a complaint about the free aim system being implemented in Iron Sight.

in real life, when you are pointing a rifle from the hip, it's pretty much like free aim. It's pretty rough and even if you somehow guess where you are shooting, you can't be certain, you point the weapon in a rough direction separated from where you are looking at.

But when you are aiming with the rifle [Iron sight] and move your rifle to follow a target or whatnot, it's the whole torso that's moving. The feeling you get there is the complete opposite from free aim: Your head, torso and arms are locked. If you aim up, you look up. The rifle is always in line with your eye, so the rifle is always in the center of your sight.

What we have in the demo... It doesn't fee right. At all. In RO1, it was right. Freeaim from the hip, locked aim in iron sight.

TripWire... how could you do this to us gun loons?

You move your arms more than you move your torso. In fact, you can move your arms in tandem while holding a weapon without moving your torso at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally love the free aim in ironsight.

You move your arms more than you move your torso. In fact, you can move your arms in tandem while holding a weapon without moving your torso at all.

Agreed. My whole torso doesn't move when I aim at different things in real life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zookerman
Upvote 0
It really doesn't move that much around "as free aim" when looking through the sights. Imo it's better to be able to move it away slightly before the torso starts to move. But realistically, yeah, if you're target shooting your torso moves, actually, if you're TARGET SHOOTING your feet move too, so you can maintain the perfect shooting pose, as the position of feet in relation to your upper body, are quite important too.

Upvote 0
I really like the free aim in iron sights as well, it gives more dynamic instead of the "robot-style" when you have the gun bolted to your screen, also you can now dynamically bring the weapon down to make sure you hit/see the target etc.

For me the free aim is great and i like it a lot, and no in real life i do not "necessarily" move my whole torso when I am aiming, but thats just me with an Ak5.

Upvote 0
A long time ago when this came up before, I actually made an incredibly detailed and time consuming image to highlight what is actually happening in free-aim IS mode but I can't seem to find it.

Long story short, no you would not move your entire torso rigidly like a robot, and no your eyes are not always fixed down the sights of your rifle.

You may have the sights aligned, and you may be ready to adjust to fire, but you aren't moving your entire upper body as one unit like some clay pigeon shooter.

It is completely possible to aim freely as you do in RO2. In fact I can't really see why you wouldn't IRL either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0