• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firefights / Sway? (questions)

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding the following: will there finally be proper, realistic firefights in Ostfront?

I have been thinking about this just now and personally, I think this would be the perfect "sway system" (not taking suppresion effects into account):

Standing: First you get settle time, say 1 - 1.5 seconds or so. -> Then you get small, but consistant, sway / jitter. Getting worse over time. All non-cosmetic of course.:p

Crouched: Settle time -> then one or two seconds without sway -> then the sway / jitter kicks back in, and gets worse over time. Jitter might be more realistic then sway.

Prone: Basically how it is now, it's fine.

If you can't entirely imagine what I'm talking about, aim a long object like a broom to a small object. It's almost impossible to hold it perfectly still, even for one second.

Now, I really would like to see suppresion become a feature: the more fire is being shot into your direction, the worse your sway gets. If a machine gun is firing onto your position, you really shouldn't be able to fire back (at least not without getting shot - you shouldn't have popped up to such a dangerous weapon! ;) ). Incoming fire should **** your pants!

All of this would really increase the number of firefights. Personally, I can't wait for the day that the firefights in Red Orchestra revolve around fire superiority and squad manouvrement. Imagine the satisfaction you get when you and your team come out as the winners of a five-minute (or even a bit longer) lasting firefight, including a succesful flanking manouvre.

Heh, might be more of a suggestion post then a question.;) But let me finish this post with a question mark anyway; how will we experience firefights and weapon sway in Red Orchestra: Ostfront? :)

mmm

mmm

I think if your shooting back then sway is reduced
also when your smg first shoots it has a big recoil but then u get it balanced (still shooting) then your arms get tired or you run outa ammo
also some people think ww2 fighters were supermen
remember they are untrained/poorly trained comon unpaid men (or women i guess...) and even with a realitivly small amount of physical training your still gona feel weak with all the bullets death shells!

Upvote 0
So by that logic you should have unlimited stamina because you shouldn't have the game telling you when you're tired? I'm sorry but in real life people do not stick their heads out under heavy fire and calmly shoot other people with great accuracy. I've been firing an MG into a window too many times and there's always people who will stick their heads out and pick me off, because there is no penalty to their aim when bullets are whizzing past their head. :mad:

Upvote 0
Hipshooting should somehow be configured so that it can only be used when laying down some fire as you cross a street, not for when you come jumping into a trench. Im pretty darn good at hip shooting, and lemmi tell ya, I find it sad that I can do it so well with a rifle. Just have the direction of the barel move more when running so that you cant line a guy up in the middle of the screen and get a hit. Have it so that you can hit the general area but you dont have pinpoint control as your moving. For SMGs there really isnt much you can do, especially for the russian ones where the sheer amount of rounds they can spit out on an area will kill anything...

Just no uber sniping from the hip while moving. Hipshooting must be in the game though, or else it just wouldnt feel right. Any soldier can shoot from the hip in real life, so you cant prevent it in game, you can only balance it.

Upvote 0
Just don't use the blasted cone of the fire crap lilke Dod:s is...I hate that.

I too thoughw ould like to see a sway that's varied depending on what's happening around you.

Brothers in Arms has a similar type of system to it and their entire game is centered around, as you said, the four f's of combat.

Upvote 0
I was making a point that some things have to be modelled into the game because players will not feel the effects in real life. People get tired when running in real life but don't get tired watching their player run in a game. People in real life do not have very accurate aim when bullets are whizzing past their heads and hitting around them but in games they are usually fearless. Currently, you get tired from running but you do not have any penalty to accuracy when being fired upon. Something needs to change.

Upvote 0