• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

System Requirements

CamperJoe

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Netherlands
Ok, no crap like in the last thread, could the dev's please give me the system requirements, this way i can see if i can upgrade before the actual game is released.

I got this rig :

ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256mb ( Overclocked to an X800XT )
1024mb DDR Ram
2.0 Ghz Amd Xp 64-bit

Any guesses on the FPS rate?

You got a x800 pro vivo? to x800xt because the normal x800pro got laser cut pipelines meaning you can't enable that performance upgrade.

And your system as it is should be more than enough to run ro. Even with some aa and af probably.

My nearly 3 years old Ati Radeon 9700pro could play the mod with everything on high at 1600x1000 with 80fps on average. Now the mod surely got upgrades and my system probably can't run it on on high anymore with thesame resolution and framerate. But it's 3 years old, your videocard is a few generations newer than mine, and the team can do a good job of optimizing. I wouldn't worry if i were you. Afcourse i'm not a teammember, or beta tester. But honestly you shouldn't worry too much about the performance, with them going standalone it probably means less hacks, and more real implentations and optimized code.

Now a real teammember/tester will probably tell you the real truth, but just to assure you, you will be able to play this game pretty darn well.

Upvote 0
Are you sure it's not a fan, usually when i get a shitty noice it's a small cable against one of the fans of my computer. That really sounds loud. After that it can be alot of things like normal fans, harddiscs etc. Remember it's hard to listen where the sound is coming from on a computer since the metal cases vibrate nicely with the sound so it sounds as if it comes from the whole unit.

If you're not experienced with opening computer stuff (like highvoltage dangerous power supplies) just let someone look at it for you. Because 1 small wire touching a fan, doesn't only create a terrible noice, but can also end up being dangerous if your luck is on the bad side (highly uncommon though).

If you hit the outside case near the sound and it stops for a while (when you do it or till a few seconds after you've hit it) you mostlikely got a electric wire touching your fan. If it isn't that the only real loud sounding thing in your case is probably your harddisc. Remember that only moving/spinning parts can create a loud sound. So your cooling parts and harddrive would be the most common noise makers.

Upvote 0
CamperJoe said:
Ok, no crap like in the last thread, could the dev's please give me the system requirements, this way i can see if i can upgrade before the actual game is released.

I got this rig :

ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256mb ( Overclocked to an X800XT )
1024mb DDR Ram
2.0 Ghz Amd Xp 64-bit

Any guesses on the FPS rate?

your system will probably run any game released in the next year with no problems. From those components it's very similar to mine and I know it's going to be fine for at least a year in it's current configuration. I think next year I might get an extra gig of ram and upgrade my cpu (I currently have a 1.8 AMD 64 3000+)

Upvote 0
CamperJoe said:
Well, i stopped all my fans for an second. and it still was hearable.
Usually the biggest sound creating fans are not the case fans. But the Powersupply fan as nr1, Videocard fan as nr2 and the Processor fan as nr3. And harddiscs are kinda loud aswell (especially if they get old).

If you would remove all fans and your harddiscs, other than not booting up your computer would be completely silent (or atleast very close to it).

The ati or nvidia adds in game shouldn't mean anythying special concerning performance for most games. Fear can't even run well on the best videocards out there, if you want to run that top notch buy a double Geforce 7800 in sli mode, and you might get close to running well ;).

If you hear the sound only when you power up a game, it could be the temperature monitor of your videocard kicking in. Together with ati's automatic overclock feature that might give you a whole 1% extra in performance. Basically your card getting hotter, and thereby the fan is going to spin faster and louder. (Catalyst AI might be a ***** in that part aswell)

Upvote 0
The unreal tournament 2004 demo will probably be a better test for you to try out. ;) (although ro definately is a new game with graphics that belong to a new game)

EDIT: just found out bia uses a modified 2.5 engine aswell so that would probably be a test of thesame basic test. But i personally felt that BIA played like a ported game it probably wasn't but somehow felt like it to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
System requirments?

System requirments?

When I first saw the graphics for the new game I got the impression that it will be graphic intensive compared to the mod. However, the RO team states that they have increased the efficiency of the game dramatically. What does that mean for current users? Are the system requirments higher now, or about the same?

Upvote 0
Conscript said:
Aesthetics are probably generally improved but so is optimisation.

Meaning you get a better looking game with the same performance. Which is good.

So if you can run RO ok now, you should be ok to run Roost Front :)

Thanks mate, but how do you KNOW this?

RO is pretty much the only reason I want to upgrade. I'm running the mod reasonably well at 2.0Ghz athlon XP 2400+ with 1024mb ram and ATI 9800 pro.

Upvote 0