• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Block/parry melee attack

OneBloodyHero

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2009
Canada
There is a dedicated melee thread, but I want to specifically suggest that in whatever melee system HOS will have, there needs to be the ability to block or parry a melee attack. It is silly for players to thrust bayos at each other in hope of stabbing the opponent first without having any ability to defend against a melee attack other than running away or shooting.

This ability may exist already in the new HOS melee system... if not I think there needs to be a defensive portion to melee combat.

OK we need to merge all of these melee threads. This is getting silly.

But regarding the OP, John already said on a Bashcast that the team had considered a super advanced melee system similar to that found in Mount and Blade (I think) but realized that it just didn't fit into the game. And I agree.

Keep it simple, but make it more refined than RO1's system. As I said in the other thread (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49769), better netcode, hit detection, and animations are the key to making RO2's melee system both more fun yet simple.

Upvote 0

But regarding the OP, John already said on a Bashcast that the team had considered a super advanced melee system similar to that found in Mount and Blade (I think) but realized that it just didn't fit into the game. And I agree.

Keep it simple, but make it more refined than RO1's system. As I said in the other thread ([url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49769[/URL]), better netcode, hit detection, and animations are the key to making RO2's melee system both more fun yet simple.

There are lots of melee threads and I was reluctant to start yet another one, but I really needed to vent the idea of defensive melee abilities.

I play Mount and Blade: Warband and I freakin love it; many in our clan like to joke around and call it medieval RO (for those who play warband)... if HOS implements anything like the Mount and Blade: Warband melee system it will rock.

Upvote 0

Keep it simple, but make it more refined than RO1's system. As I said in the other thread ([url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49769[/URL]), better netcode, hit detection, and animations are the key to making RO2's melee system both more fun yet simple.

They should have a more advanced melee system for RO3, based on the Unreal 4 engine in 2016.

Upvote 0
There is a dedicated melee thread, but I want to specifically suggest that in whatever melee system HOS will have, there needs to be the ability to block or parry a melee attack. It is silly for players to thrust bayos at each other in hope of stabbing the opponent first without having any ability to defend against a melee attack other than running away or shooting.

This ability may exist already in the new HOS melee system... if not I think there needs to be a defensive portion to melee combat.

They need to use the mount and blade engine for the melee part of the. Game lol

Oh hey bloody now I know why your names familiar I think I've seen you on the GK US siege server or poms central

Last edited:
Upvote 0

For that matter, one should merge all the "WHY IS THERE ZOOM?" threads, all the "best idea evar!" threads, all the "guys faces are ugly!" threads, and the rest of the ole' rottin lot of them! I do say, they seem to be allowing all sorts of riff-raf on the TWI forums these days... Poppycock!

Upvote 0
I received no response in the other thread, so I'll ask here.

How well do the melee systems mentioned here work in multi-player in those games? Is there a problem with variable pings? Or I wonder, if there is lag compensation in their net code?

Mount and Blade: Warband is playable at 200 ping; I don't think there is lag compensation because sometimes when I am blocking from an attack a certain direction, others see that I am not. Mind you these are Euro servers I play on occasionally. Otherwise the melee is phenomenal when playing in servers that are closer to home (NA).

Upvote 0
I think the op has a good idea personally, In real life it wouldn't be that hard to block as long as it was frontal and on even ground

I think alot of games they haven't really put any effort into melee and it was always just a 'tack on' Although i am guessing with so many features in the game there will already be a shortage of close buttons :confused:

Upvote 0
I received no response in the other thread, so I'll ask here.

How well do the melee systems mentioned here work in multi-player in those games? Is there a problem with variable pings? Or I wonder, if there is lag compensation in their net code?
Mount & Blade's system works great in SP (and I absolutely love it), but it's a horrible lag-fest in MP and IMHO, simply doesn't work well. And that's me only playing on euro servers.

That's the reason why I don't play M&B MP.
At all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sometimes less is more, and this would be the case here. In order to implement a system of block and parry they would have to calculate several new things.

I love MB, and MB:W, I own both and have been an avid fan for a while....that being said when warband released I convinced all of my gaming friends to buy it so we could bash eachothers heads out online....yeah the technology isn't where it needs to be yet.

I care too much about hit detection and a tight netcode, to ever want to see something like this clog it up. Besides, don't you think it would look a little goofy?

Reactions: hockeywarrior
Upvote 0
Sometimes less is more, and this would be the case here. In order to implement a system of block and parry they would have to calculate several new things.

I love MB, and MB:W, I own both and have been an avid fan for a while....that being said when warband released I convinced all of my gaming friends to buy it so we could bash eachothers heads out online....yeah the technology isn't where it needs to be yet.

I care too much about hit detection and a tight netcode, to ever want to see something like this clog it up. Besides, don't you think it would look a little goofy?
EXACTLY. Less is more, and I could only imagine how silly this kind of combat system would look in RO2.

Upvote 0
No, there were melee engagements; melee does not necessarily have to mean they were killing each other with bayonets, but rather that two opposing units are so close to each other to be considered in close combat, which could manifest in hand to hand combat (bayos, hands, shovels, pistols, grenades, or whatever) or point blank firing.

I am not endorsing a Mount and Blade: Warband melee system for RO, but rather that there needs to be a defensive portion rather than solely an offensive one. A player should be able to defend himself from an incoming bayonet thrust if all other viable options (like shooting the attacker or running the hell away) fail.

Upvote 0
How about this, if you allow someone to get close enough to you to bayonet you in the game. And he has the drop on you, meaning you aren't going to time your own melee strike better than him. You lose. I mean really though, if you make it quite honestly that hard to melee someone, why even bother going for the melee kill, when you can clearly just shoot him.

If you allow someone to melee you, just accept that you deserved to die.

Reactions: reyalpOR
Upvote 0