• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [WIP]KF - Transmitter (No pictures yet)

CrazyJay

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
KF - Transmitter
Scenario:
Old Home converted to a military radio tower in the middle of the woods. A distress call was sent out from the tower. A recon team was sent out to assist. Haven't heard from them and from the original distress callers. Looks like you and your team are going in...good luck.

Okay, so I came up with a nazi zombie concept 3 years ago. Nazi Zombie
der Leuchtturm (lighthouse)
Well, never got around to mapping it. I even still have the loose leaf paper drawings. Well, I got involved with KillingFloor after WaW died down b/c of MW2, and I guess I am at this stage of actually mapping something.

As you can see this map isn't going to be about a lighthouse. I switched the idea (lighttower is now radio tower, lighthouse is now the old house) for numerous reasons but I feel incredibly confidant that it will be great and that I can learn how to do this!

Thank you to all for past support on some questions I had this week (my first week) and to all future help! Pictures are promised tomorrow! About 10 at the most (rember I just started mapping, and my first map is technically my own coolest idea ever which is a risky start). I do have around 4 other maps drawn in 3d scalish on paper and graphed on graphing paper that were Nazi Zombies.

Mapping Process
1. House
2. Radio Tower
3. Control Room
4. Terrain Shaping
5. Incorporate Traders with Buildings and General Scenery
6. Vegetation
7. Blocking Volumes
8. Spawns, Nodes, and Triggers
9. Lighting, Skybox(dome), and hopefully Effects
10. Optimization

Last edited:
So in the order of my map creating process, I decided to put buildings one the list first, then landscape, then the other junk.
Okay, these pictures are of the house in the map description. The house is totally not done and this pictures are 1 day out of date.

Front
Spoiler!

Left
Spoiler!

Right
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Reactions: SIMOX and Fel
Upvote 0
Note:These pictures are just a taste. I will not spam like this every little change. This is how I will be posting pictures: For every step in my process list (in the description) that has a visual effect to the gameplay, I will post pictures on them 50% done, than 100% done.

The pictures of the House are like 70% status.

Upvote 0
Note:These pictures are just a taste. I will not spam like this every little change. This is how I will be posting pictures: For every step in my process list (in the description) that has a visual effect to the gameplay, I will post pictures on them 50% done, than 100% done.

The pictures of the House are like 70% status.

I wasn't complaining so I hope you don't think so. I just thought it was funny that in the pic I quoted it said Fresh Meat and it looked like Fresh meat was in the fridge

Upvote 0
WHOAAAAA!!!!!!! Awesome overload!!!!! fantastic work so far!! =D i am most impressed

ediT; also good idea with the listing of what there is to make to complete the level/status thingy...... hmmm maybe i should do that too for mine.... tho to be honest i never was very good at only working on one thing at a time lol i usually start working over here then get thinking and doing work over then, again over there then back where i started to finish it up lol... i guess you can say i have a jumpy level making process

Last edited:
Upvote 0
inside of the house isnt bad, but the outside needs work. Heres some tips :D

Insides of houses have their stuff thrown around more, not everythign on the walls. But think about players movement as well such as easy climbs over tables and such so you still have a fluid motion around the house. (pic 1)

When you make a roof you want to have a slight overhang. When you have a roof like that the 2 textures should be the same (roof side wall and house side wall)

Also add stuff like drain pipes (pics 2-3)

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
inside of the house isnt bad, but the outside needs work. Heres some tips :D

Insides of houses have their stuff thrown around more, not everythign on the walls. But think about players movement as well such as easy climbs over tables and such so you still have a fluid motion around the house. (pic 1)

When you make a roof you want to have a slight overhang. When you have a roof like that the 2 textures should be the same (roof side wall and house side wall)

Also add stuff like drain pipes (pics 2-3)
Again, like I said before.....those pictures were from half way into the build..
I stated I would be posting pictures of it when it was done.
It is done, I cant take pictures b/c of the stupid lighting problem.
All I did was copy the building to another map and then the lighting inside when all screwy

Upvote 0