• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ride able tanks [Merged]

ride able tanks [Merged]

• yes lets hop on an IS2

Votes: 36 75.0%
  • no i dont like it

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • maybe depends it works

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • ill think about it

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coolmu9

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
on the streats
will we be able to ride on tanks as shown be low
3364310.jpg
Kharkov-03.jpg
gives troops more transportation around tank maps or CQB maps

The major tank battle maps don't have infantry battles mixed in. So I don't see any point to this idea/feature. Those men who rode on tanks did so simply to avoid marching long distances, not exactly any point to have this in the game.

No one rode on tanks in battle. The point of the game is battle.

No one rode in battle with fully loaded half-tracks either. Close to the battlefield most people would bail out and do the rest on foot, rather than be a sitting duck in a half track.

Remember we're in a game any distance that takes longer than 3 minutes falls into the category of too long too walk.

The key is making sure that when sitting on the back of a tank people are as vulnerable as they would have realistically been. I can promise you that once a group would see any tank or mg or whatever that they would leave that tank and continue on foot in game.

As long as people cannot fire while taking a ride on a tank, there won't be issues with a tank blazing into the combat with full people, at the slightest of a sign of an enemy you will bail and try to get rid of the threat.

The key to getting realistic half track and tank riding behaviour is modelling the realistic weaknesses why people unmounted those vehicles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The major tank battle maps don't have infantry battles mixed in. So I don't see any point to this idea/feature. Those men who rode on tanks did so simply to avoid marching long distances, not exactly any point to have this in the game.

No one rode on tanks in battle. The point of the game is battle.
I'm afraid you wrong my friend http://balagan.org.uk/war/ww2/book/bessonov.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Foo'bar
Upvote 0

Did you even read your own article? The guys were riding the tanks and got ambushed and half of them got killed instantly. The second they realized they were in a battle they leaped off the tanks. This is the opposite premise of the game.

Starting to worry about some of you.

Upvote 0
Did you even read your own article? The guys were riding the tanks and got ambushed and half of them got killed instantly. The second they realized they were in a battle they leaped off the tanks. This is the opposite premise of the game.

Starting to worry about some of you.
I 'm referring you to the book, not articles.
This articles are for war games scenarios. The book it self has plenty descriptions about entering battlefield on tanks like driving all the way to tranches and disembark to clear them etc.

Upvote 0
I 'm referring you to the book, not articles.
This articles are for war games scenarios. The book it self has plenty descriptions about entering battlefield on tanks like driving all the way to tranches and disembark to clear them etc.

Does it matter, the tank scenarios don't include an infantry aspect. It's not fun to be a little dude trying to march a mile just to get annihilated by a tank.

Upvote 0
This idea kicks :IS2:

Of course it wouldn't be a good idea to ride directly into combat on top of a tank, but for the real big maps it would be useful for transportation.

Do you guys think we should be able to shoot from the tanks though?

Most definitely, It's logical, really. They did it in one of the older COD games. :troll:

Anyway, I support this. Since the actual opening post is terribly formed, maybe someone should open another with a poll attached so the Devs are less likely to miss it? :confused:

Upvote 0
It'd be cool, most tanks I usually see in RO ride a couple miles outta spawn and then camp, so it won't be much danger if you have that kinda driver.

However everything is different in RO2 and who know, one moment your patting your thighs while riding a tank next second you are on the floor dead as the tank you just rode for too long goes into battle.

I also demand those silly animations you used to see when you were in a half track in ROOST :IS2: I want to throwup :3

Upvote 0
This idea has been discussed to death already, but it is suitable to reignite the topic because tank riding is needed if combined armed maps are large enough to accommodate the feature.

If it is not implemented on release or post-release of HOS, then it is likely that a mod, much like in RO now, will offer tank riding to players.

Upvote 0
too much work for what it'd be worth

if people are gonna be able to ride on tanks you have to have a mounting and dismounting animation for the players b/c we all know how **** we are about this kind of thing. How would you handle people jumping off when the tank is moving? do you limit them to only dismount at a certain speed? how do you prevent some moron from getting the tank destroyed and all 6 people riding on it b/c he wouldn't stop and drove right up to the front lines? are people going to wait at the tank spawn for who knows how long to to catch a ride up to the front?

Upvote 0
too much work for what it'd be worth

if people are gonna be able to ride on tanks you have to have a mounting and dismounting animation for the players b/c we all know how **** we are about this kind of thing. How would you handle people jumping off when the tank is moving? do you limit them to only dismount at a certain speed? how do you prevent some moron from getting the tank destroyed and all 6 people riding on it b/c he wouldn't stop and drove right up to the front lines? are people going to wait at the tank spawn for who knows how long to to catch a ride up to the front?

Add to that, that you need to limit the tank from turning its turret etc if its fully crowded etc, no i just don't see this being implemented at all before launch, what if people keeps jumping onto your tanks etc in battle.. too many unnecessary variables in my opinion.

Upvote 0