• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

OH GAWD I'M NEW WHAT DO I DO? The KF "tutor" thread.

Baron

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I definitely went through this when I joined fresh off of the Christmas Steam sale. With no manual, I didn't know how to stay alive. Shopping, teamwork, the entire game was foreign to me. A month and a half later, I'm no veteran, but I can take care of myself.

THESE FOUR THREADS HELPED me out a lot, but sometimes, you just need someone to show you the ropes. This is what this thread is for. Put your Steam ID down as someone who is new, and needs someone's help to learn the ropes - play a couple games with them, ask questions, that kind of thing.

Why not the other way around? Because if helpers were to put their IDs here, they would be spammed with requests for help. You can refuse an offer for help without coming off as a jerk, but to ignore a request seems mean.

I'll be the exception. I'm happy to help anyone that needs it. Feel free to add me. My Steam ID is barons3232. Make sure to introduce yourself as someone who needs help. Just know that if I start refusing requests, it's because there are too many of you.

Hoping this won't backfire in 3...2...1...

EDIT: It didn't backfire. It didn't even start. "Tutors", you can start posting your Steam IDs for the benefit of the newbies who don't want to make accounts. Trust me, it's not like you'll be inundated with requests. Newbies, ASK FOR HELP! GAWD.

Last edited:
I definitely went through this when I joined fresh off of the Christmas Steam sale. With no manual, I didn't know how to stay alive. Shopping, teamwork, the entire game was foreign to me. A month and a half later, I'm no veteran, but I can take care of myself.

THESE THREE THREADS helped me out a lot, but sometimes, you just need someone to show you the ropes. This is what this thread is for. Put your Steam ID down as someone who is new, and needs someone's help to learn the ropes - play a couple games with them, ask questions, that kind of thing.

Why not the other way around? Because if helpers were to put their IDs here, they would be spammed with requests for help. You can refuse an offer for help without coming off as a jerk, but to ignore a request seems mean.

I'll be the exception. I'm happy to help anyone that needs it. Feel free to add me. My Steam ID is barons3232. Make sure to introduce yourself as someone who needs help. Just know that if I start refusing requests, it's because there are too many of you.

Hoping this won't backfire in 3...2...1...
there is already a beginner guide sticky. and also the problem for the most part is people dont know this forum or ones like it exist or things like the wiki and other guides exist. i think tripwire should add a notification to checkout the forums here or something the next time they update the game on the title menu or something. some people just see a game and buy it then play not a whole lot of people search for guides/wikis/walkthroughs/forums.

also they should make it known that the first game you should play upon installing is in a beginner mode server. ive literally seen people say they just installed the game and they join a normal server and they get raped on wave 1, wave 2, wave 3, then quit and say they are never playing this piece of **** again! i laughed but if they would have played beginner for atleast a little while they probably would have stayed and maybe bought a character pack or two. tripwire is losing money from things like that.

Upvote 0
I wouldnt say that.. I have been playin the game for a long time. You can play the game, and chat with others who are really good in the community. Find out what they did or are doing to get the job done. I get really competative with other SS. If they can get the shots faster than me I try to figure out what I am doing wrong and how they can do it so fast. Its one of those things you learn over time. You can get really good at the game and never learn any of the story or numbers. I still dont know the numbers on any of the stuff, but I feel Im a great player and asset to the team.

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
It's a lot more fun figuring things out for yourself ...

I don't understand why people spend their life in the source files ...

... if you only read and barely play; Then you know what to do, you just can't execute it for whatever reason.

You can get really good at the game and never learn any of the story or numbers.

I agree with all of you. I posted links to the guides for people who just need to read, but I'm saying that if I had had someone to tell me these things instead of reading them, learning would have been a lot easier.

My guide wasn't there! I am teh sad.

Yes it is! Yours was one of the first I checked due to its convenient presence in your forum signature. *ahem*

Upvote 0
Agreed. I don't understand why people spend their life in the source files trying to mathematically calculate how to beat the game. Where's the fun in that? :confused:

Omg thank you. This is not a MMORPG, it's a FPS/Survival. Stop calculating DPS and just sit down/ shoot some ****ing zombies people. :D

Upvote 0
Omg thank you. This is not a MMORPG, it's a FPS/Survival. Stop calculating DPS and just sit down/ shoot some ****ing zombies people. :D

But bullets are expensive! I played a lot of rpg's as a kid (wow, I just said that :eek: ) so I think I've got that nagging "you can be more efficient!" voice in my head from all the time in equipment and stat menus. XD

Moving into suicidal has definitely made Killing Floor much more fun. A lot more team wipes but when you kill the Patriarch, it feels much more rewarding.

TheHawkActual's HoE Sharpshooter video nudged me in the direction of playing Sharpshooter again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok some people are taking what i said the wrong way. i personally dont read **** until i hit a snag somewhere i can usually figure stuff out pretty quickly. but not everyone is like me and continue to do the same **** over and over again. ive seen lvl 5 people that still dont know how to give money or they dont know how to change perks in the middle of a game. im not saying to study the ****ing wikis and memorize that **** im just saying everyone should atleast take a look at it once or just know its there.

Upvote 0
This.

And even in an MMO, it's more fun to just play (Ultima Online comes to mind). All this research to become more efficient... am I playing a game, or am I at work?:mad:

Amen, I never got the appeal of online RPG's for that very reason. It feels less like an adventure and more like math homework. Personally I would just want to explore the world and do quests with friends, but nooooo I gotta crawl the same dungeon 20,000 times for the +102 armor of Zelasteroth or whatever.

Reactions: drunkentiger
Upvote 0
This.

And even in an MMO, it's more fun to just play (Ultima Online comes to mind). All this research to become more efficient... am I playing a game, or am I at work?:mad:
It would depend how you view it. Are you having fun reading all this? If not, it's a tediously unnecessary job to do which will feel like work.
But, you know... some people *gasp* actually like work, and even maths. I remember I used to sit down and calculate damages for MMORPG's when I wasn't playing, because it was fun to me.

What are you, some funcist?

Upvote 0
I will say this of all the games i have ever played I have never seen such a Great learning curve like i have in killing floor. I'm glad there are threads like these it's a blessing becuase while learning on your own sure takes alot more time but if you have somebody who can show you the ropes then more power to you :D

Upvote 0
It would depend how you view it. Are you having fun reading all this? If not, it's a tediously unnecessary job to do which will feel like work.
But, you know... some people *gasp* actually like work, and even maths. I remember I used to sit down and calculate damages for MMORPG's when I wasn't playing, because it was fun to me.

What are you, some funcist?

Yes, I hate fun. That's why I play videogames. :rolleyes:

Perhaps what I said came off in the wrong way. I think it's great that it's fun to you, really. Not sure how/why you assumed I hate fun, work, and math...

I guess what I'm trying to say is: There are times to nitpick, and there are times to appreciate things as they are. The individual who doesn't try to understand anything about the game is on the same plane as the person too wrapped up in the numbers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I hate fun. That's why I play videogames. :rolleyes:

Perhaps what I said came off in the wrong way. I think it's great that it's fun to you, really. Not sure how/why you assumed I hate fun, work, and math...

I guess what I'm trying to say is: There are times to nitpick, and there are times to appreciate things as they are. The individual who doesn't try to understand anything about the game is on the same plane as the person too wrapped up in the numbers.
Awww, they made up. Wonderful. Now that we've gotten over the the knowledge vs. experience debate, can we get back to the point of the thread?

Probably not. Not enough newbies come to the forums, apparently.

Upvote 0