• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How is this mod doing?

3.3 had its advantages over Ostfront, if you ask me. Overall I have to say Ostfront advanced the gameplay of RO (actual weapon sway, more fluid motions, etc.) but I think Ostfront has also come with a lot of the downfalls of retail games. That being TW has to feed the families, and they have to sell copies to do this, so some things will get sacrificed to make the game more appealing.

Not anything you can really complain about, though. Anybody else would do the same.

PermanentMarker said:
I never knew about it because I was not a UT2004 twitch fest fan so.....

I bought UT to get RO...

Upvote 0
well yes, I can agree that smaller community had some advantages... but it does not mean it was better... the only good feeling you could have from that was that anytime you joined you met friends... but you can still meet same people around - they are just not that concentrated on 5 servers... and same comunity is still on RO:ladder so for me only good things came with new RO :)

3.3 had its advantages over Ostfront, if you ask me....
... tell me which are these...

Upvote 0
... tell me which are these...

In general, the feel of the game. I found it to be more immersive and reflective of my conception of the eastern front (however wrong it may be). ROO feels too happy to me...very colorful and bright.

As I said, the gameplay in Ostfront is a few notches above that in 3.3. But its just not the mod....*sniffle*

Still the best FPS...easily.

Upvote 0
Well lads!
Thanks in first for choosing my map revision as the map remake to be in OST(although I hate OST like nothing else; but doesn't matter) If anyone will give me a version of the OST-Editor without needing a steam-account, I would declare myself for free to make a remake after the mod revised version of it. So lads, think about that or maybe you lads just should go back to the mod when you're missing many maps here in OST.

Regards
Krad:cool:

Upvote 0
I remember the first days after RO:O went live, I kept thinking "Who the hell are these people?"

I liked going into a server (by 'a', I mean DBDUK or DoND server, and that german one after RO:CA) and recogninzing everyone and their playing styles. Gave a lot more importance or feeling to each kill.

This thread seems pretty much full, with the occasional exception, of posts bemoaning the loss of the small tightknit group of players you had. Seems to me like things would get awfully repetitive no? If you can play a server and recognize everyone's playing style then some freshness is badly needed.
I didn't play the mod version, only the Ost version, but I have no problem feeling like a good group of team oriented players is on each night. It's been since August and while there are a LOT more players than you guys are speaking of, there is variety, and on the servers I play regularly on, the regular players are always there, along with different faces each night. Things go different ways all the time, for good or bad, and that makes it better and more immersive as well as realistic and fun to me than it would having the same people all the time on the same maps doing the same tactics over and over. It takes work to win for sure, and sometimes you can't. It's a challenge facing so many different ways of playing.
I'd say the teamwork some nights needs a lot of work and more people need to use voip in the absense of clan chat etc, and more people need to use the map, but it's coming along.
I've seen many many times when people communicate and form little groups to take or defend objectives, as someone posted that they miss. It is still happening.
Often clan groups will come on and dominate for a while. Some whine about this and even coined a term "clan stacking", but I think that is exactly what we need. Good groups of players coming on and showing people how to dominate with teamwork and coordination. It rubs off, and others start working together as well. All it does is improve the game by having new people.

Upvote 0
This thread seems pretty much full, with the occasional exception, of posts bemoaning the loss of the small tightknit group of players you had. Seems to me like things would get awfully repetitive no? If you can play a server and recognize everyone's playing style then some freshness is badly needed.
I didn't play the mod version, only the Ost version, but I have no problem feeling like a good group of team oriented players is on each night. It's been since August and while there are a LOT more players than you guys are speaking of, there is variety, and on the servers I play regularly on, the regular players are always there, along with different faces each night. Things go different ways all the time, for good or bad, and that makes it better and more immersive as well as realistic and fun to me than it would having the same people all the time on the same maps doing the same tactics over and over. It takes work to win for sure, and sometimes you can't. It's a challenge facing so many different ways of playing.
I'd say the teamwork some nights needs a lot of work and more people need to use voip in the absense of clan chat etc, and more people need to use the map, but it's coming along.
I've seen many many times when people communicate and form little groups to take or defend objectives, as someone posted that they miss. It is still happening.
Often clan groups will come on and dominate for a while. Some whine about this and even coined a term "clan stacking", but I think that is exactly what we need. Good groups of players coming on and showing people how to dominate with teamwork and coordination. It rubs off, and others start working together as well. All it does is improve the game by having new people.

This is what I wanted to say (with minor adjustments, like i.e. that I did play the mod) but couldn't since I would be accused of flaming the old people :p

But in my eyes you hit the nail on the head (errr what did I actually write in my first post?).

Oh and for people complaining about lack of team work in Ostfront:
Teamwork is just what it says "work" if no one else does it you can always try to start a trend by just giving those small parts of info to the rest of the players (with VoIP or text chat doesn't really matter) like "I'm going to obj. X" or "I saw a enemy at spot Y".
The teamwork discussion is as old as online gaming and generally just doing small things like I gave a example of will make a huge difference if most of the people on a team does it because your team then gets a good situation awareness. This discussion was exactly the same during the MOD days and the fix for it is exactly the same. You don't even need VoIP for it. VoIP only gives the abillity for a bit more detailed info in shorter time but is not crutual for good teamwork.

Bahh now I made a essay again

Upvote 0
This is what I wanted to say (with minor adjustments, like i.e. that I did play the mod) but couldn't since I would be accused of flaming the old people :p

But in my eyes you hit the nail on the head (errr what did I actually write in my first post?).

Oh and for people complaining about lack of team work in Ostfront:
Teamwork is just what it says "work" if no one else does it you can always try to start a trend by just giving those small parts of info to the rest of the players (with VoIP or text chat doesn't really matter) like "I'm going to obj. X" or "I saw a enemy at spot Y".
The teamwork discussion is as old as online gaming and generally just doing small things like I gave a example of will make a huge difference if most of the people on a team does it because your team then gets a good situation awareness. This discussion was exactly the same during the MOD days and the fix for it is exactly the same. You don't even need VoIP for it. VoIP only gives the abillity for a bit more detailed info in shorter time but is not crutual for good teamwork.

Bahh now I made a essay again

i think in the moddays it worked more fluidly because the ppl knew eachother. now theres some kind of barrier that a lot of people have, they dont want to work together with guys that they dont know (or something else, i dont know).
if you know the others it just works from alone, you dont need a lot of messaging. you build up your squad, advance and everybody is covering the other. there were several evenings back in 2.0 where we attacked the court on kauk from all sides nearly at the same time. russkies didnt even have a little chance on winning with such a good teamwork on the other team. and i think in these days we nearly never used voip while pubbing. i just loved it

*remembering good ol 13th mates*

Upvote 0
Only thing I miss from the mod is few maps that were in there(but god not Berlin!). Other than that RO:O has more players, which is the biggest difference as now you can get to play in full servers without having to wait till evening, when that specific server got it's usual players on.

Oh and stabbing is still crappy in RO:O :(. Why it has to be so hard!? I loved it in the mod, where you could actually kill people with it easily.

Upvote 0
lol your "mod" community sounded like a game that was close to death. Eh... nothing wrong with Ost.. I just hope it doesn't get so big that it turns into cs with alot of people cheating. Ro:O rocks. Kayos... LOL your post on this thread makes you sound depressed :confused:

May I say I think Vader wishes he had been around back in the mod days? Someones jeaaaaaalousssss. ;) jk vader

The mod days were fun in their own way. The "dark days" of 2.0 were the best (not). 6 people maximum at all hours of the day while everyone waited for the next patch. I remember taking bug hunting field trips with kyodaiken, and just generally hanging out with members of the community back then.

Upvote 0