• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thunder Lightning Call

LiamM123

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Bristol, UK
Just watched Saving Private Ryan and noticed just how useful this could be in a game. Obviously the standard way you tell if it's an enemy is by listening to the sound of the weapon but I reckon it would be cool if when in a building you could have a key to make a callout for team mates. Anyone within range could then have a reply key where they respond to the callout.
This could help cut down on accidental team kills when clearing houses which we must all 'fess up to on numerous occasions.
Anyway, I just think it's a fairly cool idea though I don't know how realistic it would be for the Germans and Russians. I assume they had some sort of system for it seeing as they were fighting in the cramped, room-to-room situations in Stalingrad.

I like the idea but it wouldn't do anything for me because I play with random pubs :rolleyes:
But doesn't that make it more vital? If you were in a clan, you would be in constant communication with your teammates already so wouldn't need it. Being on a public server, unless you are actually a vocal player, you would want a quick hotkey to call out a generic term. The obvious problem (which adds to the tension) is that any enemies in the building would also know your position.

Upvote 0
Interesting idea, unsure if it's necessary, though. It could help out with avoiding friendly fire, but I'll be honest, I've been tk'ed by teammates who turned a corner, looked at me for a good two seconds, and then shot me because my avatar started screaming normal battle chatter. For a non-pub game, it could be fun but then again, they'd more likely than not just be using the built-in VOIP or an external VOIP program to communicate.

Upvote 0
While I don't know that I think it's needed, challenge and pass could (if implemented and used effectively) add an additional touch of realism. I've no idea about the German or Russian armies use of it, but it's been used in the US army for a long time.

As mentioned, though, it would require the tactical choice of whether or not to announce your presence to the enemy if they're in earshot.

Upvote 0