• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pre-Release Mod work &TWI

I am just wondering: I know that RO2 has Mods in the works thanks to pre-release modteams. This is truly awesome, allowing players to find niches in other settings and mods without having to wait a year. This is also the first time I've seen such a thing implemented; you may be breaking new ground here, TWI.

But I must ask: is this a "Red Orchestra Thing" or is it a "Tripwire Thing"? As in, will this be unique to RO2, or do you plan on using this for your future games as well? If you make a KF2, or a totally new project, will you have "Rising Storms" for each, or is this a draw you are saving for the RO series? I know that it is probably too early to ask, or it may be obvious, but I'm asking just in case.:D (I didn't know where to put this thread as well, so I just stuck it here:troll:)

Then hopefully it will be copied by other game developers. :D

I could imagine it being the new trend with quality titles, and indies. The big companies that are hounded by their producers would probably not adopt it though; with such deadlines and tight setup, a non-proffessional mod team would be unacceptable. Companies and Producers would rather feel safe and rely on big budget and sheer weight than take a risk like that.

So either we will see a "AAA" title step out of line and wipe the floor with it's main competition, or an advantage for indies, if it catches on, at least.

Upvote 0
Then hopefully it will be copied by other game developers. :D
That my friend in todays greedy corporate world will never happen.I wish I knew about TWI way back,but then way back Dev teams were descent and publishers were going along with their ideas and they were supporting them iven if the game took lil longer to be made,but in present time,you only see blood sucking leechers publishers....

Reactions: Arto1990
Upvote 0
But I must ask: is this a "Red Orchestra Thing" or is it a "Tripwire Thing"? As in, will this be unique to RO2, or do you plan on using this for your future games as well? If you make a KF2, or a totally new project, will you have "Rising Storms" for each, or is this a draw you are saving for the RO series? I know that it is probably too early to ask, or it may be obvious, but I'm asking just in case.:D (I didn't know where to put this thread as well, so I just stuck it here:troll:)

I think it all depends on how successful HOS and, more specifically to your question, the mods turn out. It is unprecedent ,at least to my knowledge, that game developers release modding tools before release of game. It is a noble idea, but the mods may turn out to be flops ( I really doubt this though), or better yet they actually compete with the original game, which would be crazy cool. It is pretty comforting to know that potentially good mods are close at hand few months after release of HOS...

Upvote 0
I think the market is shifting, it's not going to be immediate, but I think the major dev houses lack creativity, but possess plenty of capital. Indie devs are a rising force, more and more are stabbing into the mainstream. I think it's time for a reawakening of the gaming world. Hopefully RO2 will help bring down the tyranny of scummy publishers.

Upvote 0
This pre-release mod thing is an experiment, so if it works out as well as we all think and hope it will, then yes, it's safe to assume that TWI will continue to do it, and perhabs even do it on an even larger scale in the future.

But if it goes horribly wrong somehow, then it'll go the way of the Dodo.

But in truth, i don't really see how it could go wrong, even if some of the mods fail to appeal to players, it's no problem for the base game, just a problem for the mod team.

The only thing that really could bring it down, is if it somehow became a horrible mess logistics wise for TWI, if it starts to drain their resources for some reason and interferes with their abillity to produce their own games.

But it would have to be poorly set up for that to happen, mod teams are used to working independantly, and without any real support aside from various guides and knowledge bases that are put out about the engines in question, so it would only be an issue if TWI creates their own game engine, because then they would also have to support it.

Upvote 0
Well co-operation with TWI isnt something like you just
get allkind of things before relase from them.

It needs quite organised team. Example if you have
take a close look to In Country: Vietnam- mod page
it says on bottom of page that copyrights of IC:V are
owned by PopSmoke, LLC. Which tells you something
about level of organization.

So i think its more up to mod teams than TWI, will
we see that kind of mod development on future.

What i know about KF is that Defece Alliance is only
bigger and more organized mod group on that game.

Upvote 0
Isn't this mod thing basically just like DLC like most games have except they got lazy and got a bunch of semi professional designers to do all the work ;)

Actually most DLC double up the initial price of product. Developer cut final product into one (50%) piece called main game and couple small (10%) pieces called DLC and sell them separately.

Rising Storm is separate BIG project which become free addon/mod or paid expansion.

Upvote 0
...This is also the first time I've seen such a thing implemented; you may be breaking new ground here, TWI.

But I must ask: is this a "Red Orchestra Thing" or is it a "Tripwire Thing"? ...
We like breaking new ground :) Well, we like breaking the RIGHT new ground, obviously. So this is a Tripwire thing. Not that we've announced/admitted to a "KF2" but, should such a thing happen, the only reason that we wouldn't do the same is if it turns out to have been a really crap idea on RO2...

Upvote 0
We like breaking new ground :) Well, we like breaking the RIGHT new ground, obviously. So this is a Tripwire thing. Not that we've announced/admitted to a "KF2" but, should such a thing happen, the only reason that we wouldn't do the same is if it turns out to have been a really crap idea on RO2...

Truly awesome, TWI:D. I feel that this is a major step in the right direction, and that you guys did a risky gamble, with amazing potential. That's why I am happy to see that the chances are up for seeing more of this in the future; I am confident it will turn out brilliantly, and am happy to see that more than just RO2 is going to carry this feature.

Upvote 0
John said if the mods turn out to be great, they are going to absorb the mod in the actual studio and polish it off, and release it as an expansion. If the mod is good but not great, they will just put it out for free. (remember anything you do as a modder is owned by the tripwire) Modders cannot sell their mods without permission.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
John said if the mods turn out to be great, they are going to absorb the mod in the actual studio and polish it off, and release it as an expansion. If the mod is good but not great, they will just put it out for free. (remember anything you do as a modder is owned by the tripwire) Modders cannot sell their mods without permission.

Hope this helps.

That's correct, but I think that's for Rising Storm only.

Upvote 0