• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are supersonic bullet cracks in the game?

Leopardi

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
I heard them in one of the earlier shaky cam MP vids, but the videos coming out now seem to have the old unrealistic "whiz" sound. Is it an option like the authentic voices? Supersonic cracks really makes being under MG fire and suppression more epic :(

E:
Automatic Weapons: American vs. German - YouTube look at 1:30 - how it should sound.

Last edited:
So now that beta is out, can anyone confirm if bullet whizzing is just for some subsonic SMG/pistol bullets, and MG's, rifles etc. have supersonic cracks?

There are no subsonic carts/weapons in this game. The .45ACP is the only widely used subsonic round in WWII, and this is the wrong front for that, unless you count the Thompsons included with Lend-Lease Lee/Grant or Sherman tanks, and the 13,000 or so 1911's we shipped to the Soviets.

Upvote 0
i havent heard any cracks just wizing sounds. i pref the cracks myself but i think we might have to wait for mods to do that.

original.jpg

Upvote 0
Are the bullets used in ww2 subsonic or supersonic. If they cant break the sound barrier then no crack is heard.

Any bullet that travels faster than 1128 feet per second is moving supersonic and will crack.

All rifle bullets in WW2 as well as anything of a large calibre travelled faster.
Most, if not all pistol rounds also travel faster than sound so the supersonic cracks should be heard for all guns. 9mm that the Germans used in pistols and some sub-machine guns and 7.62x25 round, fired from the PPSH and Soviet TT-33 pistol certainly travel much faster than sound.

The only one I'm not personally familiar with is the Soviet nagant revolver and too lazy to look it up right now. It fires a quite small cartridge so I would highly doubt that round reaches the speed of sound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any bullet that travels faster than 1128 feet per second is moving supersonic and will crack.

All rifle bullets in WW2 as well as anything of a large calibre travelled faster.
Most, if not all pistol rounds also travel faster than sound so the supersonic cracks should be heard for all guns. 9mm that the Germans used in pistols and some sub-machine guns and 7.62x25 round, fired from the PPSH and Soviet TT-33 pistol certainly travel much faster than sound.

The only one I'm not personally familiar with is the Soviet nagant revolver and too lazy to look it up right now. It fires a quite small cartridge so I would highly doubt that round reaches the speed of sound.

Depends on atmospheric pressure and altitude, but yeah. The 7.62nagant is over 1k fps, and some of the surplus stuff winds up being subsonic, but I don't think it was intentional. You can buy subsonic loads for it today, but I don't think it was intentionally designed to be subsonic.

Upvote 0