• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poundamonium leveling

omarfw

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Here Be Dragons
www.last.fm
I've noticed a MASSIVE surge of servers running beginner difficulty poundamonium. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=540023#post540023

While these servers are indeed fun to play, they are being used by medics and berserkers to power level.

they use the "300 technique" in which the zerker sits in a small compact corner where only one FP can reach him at a time out of the swarm of them and he whacks em off one by one. The medic then sits behind him and heals him.

Being that a single fleshpound on beginner cannot possibly outdamage the healing of a medic and the DR of a beserker, this is very cheap and is starting to be used for cheap leveling because the poundamonium mut is whitelisted.

also ONCE AGAIN the main offender is Doom2_final. People sit in the small hole in the wall that's covered by a hidden door while the FP's one by one come and try to hit them. IMO this map needs to be un-whitelisted permanently, people are constantly finding exploits in it like this one.

Last edited:
which is why perk leveling should be disabled on beginner IMO.

Also, there's spots for this in biolabs too.
But when I play pounds I don't suck so bad I have to sit in a corner.

This is the best idea i've heard so far.

You can't un-whitelist the xxxx-only muts because the internet usage of them would sink to almost nothing since that's usually what happens to non-whitelisted muts. Some maps like waterworks are very fun on poundamonium and I want servers like that to stay around.

The sad thing is, poundamonium on normal or higher is almost impossible with only 6 people.

and beginner shouldn't allow perk progression, it's just too damn easy and exploitable.

This works on official maps too. Its not a reason to blacklist Doom2final.

Anyway, who cares. There are other, even easier ways to level beserker.

Any way that involves almost no skill should not be allowed. It doesn't matter if there's even easier ways. This is the most popular way currently and it's cheap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
which is why perk leveling should be disabled on beginner IMO.

Good idea, imo achievements should be disabled in beginner too, because pretty much all achievements are ridiculously easy when done on this difficulty.

Why not just un-whitelist all of these xxxx-only mutators instead?

Thats another thing, too, but like someone already said the number of servers running these mutators would drop and they arent exactly very common nowdays either.

Oh and like Shambler said, if they want to take the easier way and grind their perks up to level 6 then let them do it. Theyll just find other ways of doing it no matter what we do.

I dont know whats the point in this kind of heavy grinding, they complain its BORING and everything, still they keep doing it just to get lvl 6 as fast as possible -_-. Why not just play the game normally like you are supposed to? Much more fun.

Upvote 0
Maybe Doom, but NOT all of Poundamonium

Maybe Doom, but NOT all of Poundamonium

I know that it is being abused for perks, but the fact of the matter is that, although a small amount of them are being cheap, their is a MUCH larger poundamonium community that loves the intense fun and difficulty of poundamonium, which is a large-budget, large-enemy game experience that you cannot find anywhere else. And please, we still want to be able to level perks! And, the fact of the matter is that begginer poundamonium is hard enough; once you get to normal it becomes way far less fun. Getting rid of perk-leveling would reduce the reward system of the experience; with, after all that intense survival, you finallly level up that perk, it just makes the experience complete. So, in conclusion, poundamonium should not be blacklisted. Pehaps the map you are thinking of, but not the whole mutator. Thats all I ask for.

Upvote 0
there are tons, and i mean TONS of leveling maps that somehow made it on the whitelist even though that have rediculous bugs to exploit. ConcertHall, DoomII and Defence are the worse. ConcertHall is actually worse that the actual KF-Leveling map.

To prevent farming (cheating :rolleyes:):
1.) Disable ALL Specimen specific mutators, i.e. Clotbuster, Poundamonium
2.) Allow players to use their perks/abilites on any map, just don't track leveling if the map isnt whitelisted.
3.) Take EVERY custom map off the whitelist except for the Stock maps and make each map get resubmitted and retested if they want to get whitelisted, this time fully testing the map and making sure there aren't major exploits in them.

If worst comes to worse, take away the whitelist and only allow leveling on stock maps. Allow for players to use their perks and abilities on custom maps, but if they want to improve their ranks, they have to play on stock maps......hell, there's what, at least 10 stock maps now? that's enough variety. If custom mappers and testers cannot do a good enough job to make exploit free maps, then they don't deserve to get white listed.

Upvote 0