• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop being a tourist.

Clans are such a sham most of the time these days. There's those hokey "gamer" clans where all they do is pubscrub and teamstack against the public, and there are CLANS that actually get out there and try to better themselves as players, as well as appeal towards their community.. Yeah, they pay for the server.. but the ones who really care about who plays there ARE doing everyone a favor. We're all gamers, and some of us with more resources fortunately decide to share. There's also some of us that decide they want to "share" because they like being internet tyrants since their lives apparently suck so bad.

All in all, they can be a good thing.. but most of the time, they aren't doing it for the community.

Well said. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why all this hate on clans? Sure, I wouldn't join any clan that takes itself too seriously, with locking the server to have private boot camp style drills, a uber serious rank system, or any other type of personality flaws. This doesn't mean that there aren't any clans out there that just like to have fun and game. All of the clans I've been in (with the exception of 1) were rather casual. That having been said, I've never been in a clan that exclusively plays RO.

Upvote 0
Why all this hate on clans? Sure, I wouldn't join any clan that takes itself too seriously, with locking the server to have private boot camp style drills, a uber serious rank system, or any other type of personality flaws. This doesn't mean that there aren't any clans out there that just like to have fun and game. All of the clans I've been in (with the exception of 1) were rather casual. That having been said, I've never been in a clan that exclusively plays RO.

Nobody is hating on ALL clans here. Everybody is totally fine with casual groups of guys that like to know who their team mates are. Were talking about the weirdos.

Upvote 0
There is probably as much variety within clans as there are numbers of them in existence. From one to another, they are rarely alike. Those that survive long term have the following in common.

1. No "kids" allowed; even if they are over 40.
2. A cash flow management structure. Servers don't pay; they get paid.
3. A board of directors. Nothing will kill a clan faster than a dictator and single
line of reasoning.
4. Admins. Allowing a server-load of "freshly uncaged gibbons" to reign supreme will turn your public participation into a ghost-town in a heartbeat. And it'll flush your server investment right down the toilet.

One last thought: Clans make a variety of servers possible. Game companies may not sustain them forever.

Upvote 0
I've tried out clanning twice in my life and never have I been able to find a clan that's convenient for me or for me to find time for them. A lot of clans want you to be active in their community, in the game, and set aside time for them. Which I can't do because I have a busy life. I don't blame them, that's the nature of a organized bunch. I just can't give them the commitment they usually want even if it's very minor.

On top of that I rarely play a single game nonstop for long periods of time.

Upvote 0
[url]http://5thsswikingkgw.net/sbcosoldbuch.html[/URL]

I prove my point.

Nice try with the "computer game" attempt at trying to insult, but you forgot one thing, you forgot to insult everybody else that has ever set hands on a gameboy, ps3, PC, xbox or played pacman.

I wasn't trying to insult you, I was exposing you for being a narrow-minded hypocrite. You denigrate in others what you have in yourself, a passion for something. Often called spite.

Upvote 0
Anyone who plays on our server can have equal access to our TS server. I can't see any benefit to be had from 'team-stacking' on ones own server and trashing a bunch of pubbers, but pitting ones own unit against an enemy group, so long as they have access to the same tools, can only be fun.

I sometimes get the impression from a number of players that ideally they'd like nothing better than to join a map and sit around a fire singing kumbaya and knitting daisy-chains. But then they'd probably complain that somebody else had more daisies than them. :D

Upvote 0
Why do you assume every clan follows one rigid parameter? A past bad experience, or simple prejudice? Clans, and their method of operation, follow a broad spectrum all the way from OCD-obsessive to anarchic.

Mine is laid back so far it probably needs a corset. Yes, it has a measure of structure but only to the point of making it reasonably functional. At 'the end of the day' it's about having fun. :)

I have enough fun playing the game the way I want to play the game, when I want to play and how I want to play...... My clan is the community as a whole and whoever is on my team at the time.

Everybody has their preferences, likes and dislikes.... if people like to be in clans, all the power to them, but they are not required for a successful or enjoyable game.

Reactions: Gerhard Schiller
Upvote 0
Why? So I can call someone by a rank they gave themselves, and have someone yell at me because I had a life and didn't show up to a practice?

Nothing worse than a clan member not turning up for prac - if you joined a comp clan (or one that was on its way to becoming one) then at least contribute.

This "I have a life" statement is a load of bs - if you wear the tags contribute or take the tags off. Nothing worse than being a prac leader or a squad leader in prac and having the "sure dude I will be there for shiz" only to find out after a week of absence that the member wanted to go brush their dog or something.

Its also more often than not the members who don't put in for the server but then whinge about not having RCON that are the most likely not to contribute.

Its the reason I join the clans with trials lasting several months - I would rather be with people who know how to play and have a sense of pride rather than the "DooD - Riddick is on again on channel 24!!" lot.

Community gaming is fine - but expect your status to be that of pretty much any other punter on the server. Its how we used to treat ours.

Rant off/

Reactions: Luckless
Upvote 0
Nothing worse than a clan member not turning up for prac - if you joined a comp clan (or one that was on its way to becoming one) then at least contribute.

This "I have a life" statement is a load of bs - if you wear the tags contribute or take the tags off. Nothing worse than being a prac leader or a squad leader in prac and having the "sure dude I will be there for shiz" only to find out after a week of absence that the member wanted to go brush their dog or something.

Its also more often than not the members who don't put in for the server but then whinge about not having RCON that are the most likely not to contribute.

Its the reason I join the clans with trials lasting several months - I would rather be with people who know how to play and have a sense of pride rather than the "DooD - Riddick is on again on channel 24!!" lot.

Community gaming is fine - but expect your status to be that of pretty much any other punter on the server. Its how we used to treat ours.

Rant off/

:rolleyes:

You take video gaming a little to serious

Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

You take video gaming a little to serious

I used to - but not anymore. I just figure if others are going to go to the trouble of organising RCON, server scripts, scrims, ladders, bbq's and the rest then at least people who affiliate can also put in an hour of their time once a week.

Its what separates the "serious" comp clans from the pub server clans. You wouldn't believe how much work there is in running a clan of 30 or 40 people.

I am sure one or two of the old school clan leaders or ladder organisers would agree with a percentage of what I was ranting about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You wouldn't believe how much work there is in running a clan of 30 or 40 people.

Any harder than organizing a paintball squad of about 25 people, salvaging materials and designing field expansions, while planning a few 100+ person "big Game" events a few times a year?

Or how about managing a staff of 5 on a daily basis, and juggling them across projects for different clients across the globe?

The point is, many people have lives that are more than just gaming, and many of us don't want every Sunday evening to have a 1 hour chunk of it taken up by stroking someone's ego while we type *Salute* to them. If I have to work the whole weekend because a client wants to ship Monday morning, or I'm heading back home for some family event, or I rather have spent the evening with that cute Asian girl who sat next to me in class, then I really don't want to have to worry about explaining where I was or why I wasn't online to a group of people I likely have never met beyond voice chat in some computer game.

Upvote 0
Personally I see no reason why a clan can't have it both ways (cake and eat it). One group who like to pick up and drop as it suits them and the others who prefer a more dedicated commitment. Kind of like a regular army that has a special ops component. And members of both groups can migrate to the other and back as RL commitments dictate. For some players a clan is just a place to hang their hat, and that's fine. Why wouldn't or shouldn't it be? So long as everyone is having fun, their own particular brand of fun, that's what it's supposed to be about. :)

Upvote 0
Herne said:
People doesn't have a life? Family comes first. Pets are part of them. Then important is your own well being. Some people are less serious, some are more, but how that can make "I have a life" statement less real?

Herne said:
You wouldn't believe how much work there is in running a clan of 30 or 40 people.
I would. That's one reason for me to don't play in any. I was kind of moderator once and had a lot of work to do, because of that. Now I am happy to be common community member and refuse to take any official roles anywhere I am around. I know how time consuming process it is to take the mantle of leader/moderator. I simply don't want my time to be eaten that way. Loose friends groups are fitting me more when I don't need to be on their every game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0