• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bleeding to Death!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you'd rather have no bandaging system at all?
Because let's be honest given the life expectancy during the game having a more sophisticated bandaging/wound system would be a waste of everyones time...this is a game at the end of the day - and TWI had to draw the line somewhere.

Honestly it would be nice if people (when sharing their opinion) could come up with a different implementation of an idea, and why it would be better in such a way. Maybe put yourself in TWIs shoes and think about its implementation.

It's a vast improvement on RO's wound system, and I'm really pleased it's in the game.

Well that's too bad, innit? ;)

I would not have preferred a more sophisticated bandage system. None would have been fine.

Why so provocative?

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the game as it is, I just want to do my part in making the game better, and help TWI cover as many bases as they want.

Alot of people seem to think you either need to be fine with every aspect or the game, or otherwise you'd be acting ungrateful, demanding, and be accused of some sense of entitlement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would not have preferred a more sophisticated bandage system. None would have been fine.

Why so provocative?

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the game as it is, I just want to do my part in making the game better, and help TWI cover as many bases as they want.

Alot of people seem to think you either need to be fine with every aspect or the game, or otherwise you'd be acting ungrateful, demanding, and be accused of some sense of entitlement.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come over as provocative. Far too much unhelpful criticism on the forum.

No wound/bandage system would have upset far more people than the current implementation, trust me! :p

Upvote 0

Why so provocative?

They could always implement a "revive" system similar to Americas Army 2. However although it could be considered somewhat more realistic it isn't exactly challenging it is just a case of remebering about 4 different symptoms and clicking the appropriate button to fix it.

Upvote 0
So... You liked the old system in RO1? The system where you shot someone and they had to do nothing but run away to escape. How is this new system of requiring someone to do something about their wounds not adding a tad more realism to the game?

There's no such thing has getting shot, applying a bandage on the mortal wound and then resuming combat IRL, you die or you get carried out by medics.

Upvote 0
Good lord, I made an account just to comment in this thread because reading it was utterly frustrating.

I think what the OP is saying is that the way bleeding out is currently implemented is kind of silly in that you get wounded and die unless you bandage it up within 5 seconds. Any wound you could receive which would cause you to die within 5 seconds of bleeding will not be stopped by a simple bandage.

Solution? Greatly increase the bleedout time. Instead of 5 seconds make it up to around a minute. Over this minute Colour from your screen will slowly disappear, you aim will worsen and your movement will slow. This means you still have time to finish the gunfight you were in, and make it to cover once finished. Once all this is completed you may then bandage your wound.

As a result of these changes doubling or tripling the bandaging time would make a lot of sense.

As it stands the bleeding mechanic is rather gimmicky. Looking at another game that strives on its realism is "Project Reality". It incorporates a wonderful bleeding out mechanic that closely resembles what I mentioned above. Slower bleedout times that slowly but surely cripple the player. Rarely does a wound result in a mere few seconds bleedout. Instead of wounds bleeding like a large river, emptying your body of blood in the blink of an eye, you bleed realistically slowly losing your ability to function until you are aided.

Changing this mechanic like I have outlined would in my opinion make bleeding out both more realistic and a more enjoyable experience. It allows for the player to deal with his immediate problems and then deal with the bleeding issue after, if the player fails to do so he will face consequences which eventually lead to death, either killed by another player because he is so hindered by the drawbacks of bleeding out, or through to much blood loss.

Upvote 0
I'm just saying the bandage system as it is currently in beta feels gamey to me. And I think it;s safe to say that wounds that would bleed you dry in seconds would not be helped by a bandage.

This. Such a wound would probably prevent a person from moving very much in real life, even if they were bandaged. Typically in games this is represented as death, because flailing around bleeding to death helplessly is not fun.

Either:

1) Make bleeding out take longer. Around 30-40 seconds. Make the bandaging take longer, around 7-10 seconds. Give the player time to find an area to hide to bandage, and make there a risk involved in taking time to bandage yourself. With both actions being so quick and instant it looks very gimmicky.

When you are bleeding out create a blackout effect, not a desaturated effect. I am no expert on the subject, but I would think you would black out or get blurry vision when bleeding severely rather than having your eye sight become desaturated.

The more you bleed out, the less stamina you have, the more weapon sway you get, ect.

When you do bandage, do not make everything "all better" (I am not sure if this is exactly how it is in RO2). You are still injured, and you still lost a lot of blood. For example, if you bled out for 30 seconds, your stamina will be reduced by 30%. If you bled out for only 10 seconds, your stamina is only decreased by 10%.

Doing this will add a lot of immersion and make the aspect of bandaging seem like something rather than just clicking that annoying button every now and then.

And if you get shot in the leg, how about limping? Raven Shield and SWAT 4 did this years ago.

2) Remove the feature completely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are there not two "kinds" of bleeding out? My understanding is:

1. You receive a non-fatal wound to the extremities, you have the option to bandage. Doing so wastes some time but saves a portion of health that otherwise would have bled out and been lost. If this occurs when you are very low on health, you will bleed out and die.

2. You receive a fatal wound to the stomach or chest, you enter slow-death. Regardless of your health, you're dead, but you have a few seconds to attempt a revenge shot before you go down.

I *think* there is a bug wherein you enter slow-death and you're prompted to bandage a wound that cannot be bandaged.

Just my initial impression. I could be way off. Those times I've taken a fatal shot and jumped to immediate black out, I've never been able to bandage, regardless of the prompt, no matter how fast I hit the button ... but then, I'm an old man. Maybe I'm not as fast as I think. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the setniment that the mechanic as is is too shallow. The bleedout and bandaging times both need to be lengthened slightly, and depending on the area you just bandaged, you should suffer some kind of penalty. So, if you're shot in the leg, you're forced to limp, in the arm, your weapon is harder to aim, etc.

That is all just my opinion though. I'm not a game designer :D

Upvote 0
I agree with the setniment that the mechanic as is is too shallow. The bleedout and bandaging times both need to be lengthened slightly, and depending on the area you just bandaged, you should suffer some kind of penalty. So, if you're shot in the leg, you're forced to limp, in the arm, your weapon is harder to aim, etc.

That is all just my opinion though. I'm not a game designer :D
The limping and aim changing mechanics are already implemented
I agree bandaging times are too quick
Bleed out times are fine as is

Upvote 0
I don't mind the idea of a bandaging mechanic, I only wish it was done like Far Cry 2 where it actually shows you digging the slug out and bandaging yourself. It would be more immersive, it would take away your situational awareness and it would take longer than 1 second. Your gun dropping for half a second is not much of a penalty.

For those who don't play arcadey games like FC2:

Far Cry 2 - Healing Animations - YouTube

Obviously the animations should be a lot less ridiculous for RO2, and he should bandage after all those slug removals, but the idea is great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I havent experienced that for myself though. They may have a third-person animation, but the times Ive been hit in the arms/legs so far have not had any noticeable affect on my ability to sprint and aim straight.

If bandaging stays the way it is, there should atleast be more of a consequence to getting shot. As it is you either die or you bandage yourself and everything is fine.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.