• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your favorite Bolt action rifle

Yeah.. shooting issent cheap. you have to make choises
Because of changes in jobs, for next year i am only registering my Mosin nagant M91/30(stowing away my beautifull Hexa Dragoon) and Swedish mauser.

And i've decided to take surpluss ammo for both. My buddy just bought 880 of surplus 7.62x54 and he payed 200 euro. Thats 0.22 cents per round! If you buy of pvri partisan you pay 3 times as much. But then ofcourse you need to properly clean your rifle afterwards because of corrosive ammo..

the 75 - 76 surplus? Ive got some of the same, came in around 35 cents a round. I also just found a place selling mixed headstamp 8mm milsurp ( rare in canada) for 45 cents a round in 50 cal ammo cans.

edit: @ Unus, yeah it will wake you up, talk about that stereotype that the mosin user relaxes at the chiropractor later, thats because the Mauser user has gone to the hospital get a broken shoulder looked at :D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
draw the lever on this awzm marine rifle bolter is filled with action! gotta be #1.

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the 75 - 76 surplus? Ive got some of the same, came in around 35 cents a round. I also just found a place selling mixed headstamp 8mm milsurp ( rare in canada) for 45 cents a round in 50 cal ammo cans.

edit: @ Unus, yeah it will wake you up, talk about that stereotype that the mosin user relaxes at the chiropractor later, thats because the Mauser user has gone to the hospital get a broken shoulder looked at :D.

dude go for it, Surplus 8x57 ammo in belgium, even if it is non german or post war made easily costs 1 to 1.5 euro per bullet(Mausers are very very popular in belgium, and quite some gunshops artificially increase the price, dem bastards :(

Upvote 0
This is my top 5 list

1: Swiss K31 (Unique straight pull design, beautiful, very high build quality, very tight tolerances and extremely accurate)
2: German K98k (The father of modern bolt action rifles, high build quality, very tight tolerances and extremely accurate)
3: Austrian Steyr Mannlicher Schn

Reactions: theta123
Upvote 0
Wait!? A functioning French weapon?

Yeah, that's not surprising, I've got two of 'em!

prewar.jpg

refurb2.jpg

These are nearly as fast cycling as a Lee-Enfield.

I'll try to put my top five in order. I've bought at least one from each major power in WWII simply because I like them all! I do bring a 91/30, Finnish M39, and a German K98k to the range every time I go, but that's because I have around 3000+ rounds each of surplus for them (bought when 880/900 round cases were $40/$50 each).

1. Finnish Mosin M39
2. Swiss K31
3. German K98k
4. French Mas 36
5. British No. 4 Mk I*

The Japanese Type 99, and Type 38 get honorable mention, but stay out because of ammo cost. It's $25 a box of twenty unless you hand load.

The Springfield M1903 does as well only because it's action is an inferior (in design, not construction) derivative of the Mauser action.

That was actually hard to come up with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait!? A functioning French weapon?

Trust me, you disliking french punner,

At first everyone is=K98 FAP FAP FAP

Then they see the Mas 36. Inside they are like=OMG this weapon is beautifull, nice! Smooth! DAM that bolt is fast cycling, my god the Accuracy! The sights! amazing!

Outside=FRENCH WEAPON ONLY USED ONCE WHEN DROPPING

MAS36 is a beauty!

Someone i know, is very german biased. Everything french=Crap

So i showed him a Mas36. He was very impressed with it, he very liked it
When he asked=What is it? I putted up my best troll face and said it was a French Mas 36
He couldnt believe it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Underneath the CheyTac Intervention, that's gotta be the most disproportionally ugly rifle I have ever seen!

The XM2010. Just fielded recently for testing purposes. Fires .300 WinMag. Okay cartridge, really. I used to have a Win 70 in .300 WinMag for my deer rifle when I lived in the Northeast.

Upvote 0
Ross rifle...

hahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahhahaha

... ahem sorry I lost my composure there for a second. That rifle stands as a perfect example of how politics and military mix. or.. better stated do not mix ( Read the wiki on the ross ).

Nevertheless I would still get one for my collection, just probably wouldent shoot it all that often...

Upvote 0
hahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahhahaha

... ahem sorry I lost my composure there for a second. That rifle stands as a perfect example of how politics and military mix. or.. better stated do not mix ( Read the wiki on the ross ).

Nevertheless I would still get one for my collection, just probably wouldent shoot it all that often...

Shoot it all you want. They're perfectly fine rifles, so long as you put the bolt back together the right way and keep them clean. Only way you're going to get a bolt lodged in your skull is if you're an idiot or a soldier without enough training.

Reactions: theta123
Upvote 0
Shoot it all you want. They're perfectly fine rifles, so long as you put the bolt back together the right way and keep them clean. Only way you're going to get a bolt lodged in your skull is if you're an idiot or a soldier without enough training.

Exactly
THe Ross rifle was a great rifle that became victim of politics and idiots in high command. Bad training and issue and the worst possible place for a firearm=trench warfare

Today, Ross rifles are extremly high sought after on the belgium militaria market
And you cannot deny the accuracy of this rifle. I would even dare to say it was the most accurate rifle of ww1

Upvote 0