• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

The BF3 demo (and many of these other games) certainly do use it as a "demo" or marketing gimmick. TWI actually treated the beta like a beta.
Don't agree. Well, calling demo as "beta" is not so honest but at least DICE was fair with it - released beta/demo for free for everyone for some quite a long time before release. People who tried it had time to decide to buy game or not or even to cancel or not preorders. Moreover, quite a few bugs from beta were fixed and some other thing tuned too.
TWI on the other hand imho did it in way more unfair way - they actually made access to beta/demo as a bonus to preorder. Moreover, it was released 1-2 weeks before official launch so not too many things could be done till launch.
Both TWI and DICE used term "beta" instead demo but DICE at least did it in more fair way.

Upvote 0
For those that play the game...

[url]http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/14/battlefield-3-mortars-to-be-countered-by-flying-emp-robots/[/URL]

I like the fact that they are working on something for the color blind.
One of my boys suffers from this, I have to point out which colored icon means what, he then memorizes the different 'grey scales'.
Its not easy...

Another pleasant surprise is the reception that I have received when joining practice servers. People are there giving tips and just generally helping newbs like myself get accustomed to the game.
You can crash planes and stuff without getting booed off field.

I have to admit it... I like the game :eek:.

Oh, there is a review of RO2 in the link above, if anybodys interested.

Reactions: Rak
Upvote 0
Another pleasant surprise is the reception that I have received when joining practice servers. People are there giving tips and just generally helping newbs like myself get accustomed to the game.
You can crash planes and stuff without getting booed off field.

I have to admit it... I like the game :eek:.

I have only seen couple of annoing kids in this game and most of them were asked to leave or shut up. Much less "hostile" community than in RO2, where accidental teamkill gets you counter tk'd and harrashed for it after. Or if your team is losing everyone is blaming the SL/TL or whoever for their defeat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have only seen couple of annoing kids in this game and most of them were asked to leave or shut up. Much less "hostile" community than in RO2, where accidental teamkill gets you counter tk'd and harrashed for it after. Or if your team is losing everyone is blaming the SL/TL or whoever for their defeat.
yep. I actually seen only 3 annoying guys. First and worst was a guy who blew up my AA in HC claiming it was his "tank". Secon guy throwed C4s at friendly buggies that was passing him by. Friendly Fire was off so it was rather mildly annoying. Besides, he blew up himself eventually. Last guy was refusing to leave chopper even if was asked niclely to leave becasue me and my friend was flying this from round start. However, he turend out to be very good pilot

Upvote 0
Battlefield 3 is 50% off right now on Origin. (Plus tax....)

This is the sale I've been waiting for. Honestly I'm surprised its that deep of a sale, EA must have really been pissed by being outsold by MW3, and being pushed into page 3 by Skyrim. Looks like I'll still be paying about full price when Back to Karkand comes though.

Amazon is also 50% off to. No tax for me (though in December, online sales will be taxed :mad:). I just put my CD in into Origin and it is downloading. Half the speed of Steam... almost 3 hours for 10GB. No Back to Karkand on Amazon either, so I am afraid the only place to buy it is off of Origin. I was hoping Amazon would sell it for $5 or so in a few months.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it me or is Rush dying off? I was barely able to find servers for that mode and none of them were populated.

Haven't noticed to be honest SiC.
I'm playing Territory, HC, 1000 tickets.
30 to 40 mins seems to be about the time to do a round at these settings.

I'm playing assault class only, having fun.

EDIT: I'm going through the SP for the 2nd time on HC.
If you want to get rid of your +hairs in MP you have to play SP/HC so that, if you join a HC server=== no + :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here are my thoughts so far:

1) Worst menu design ever. Very slow and clumsy, requires browser plugin and two programs to get in game. Hope you can click X quick enough or else you'll have two RAM intensive programs running in the background. :p I still don't see the point in having the "menu" done via a 3rd party program, especially your internet browser.

2) Tanks are too weak and get disabled too easily. Rather annoying.

3) Gun play is far better. Weapons are more accurate and have proper animations. The 3D models look nice rather than the ugly garbage in BC2. :p

4) A lot of random bugs. Sometimes your tank can not stop or reverse... other times it can. I am reading This might be caused if you have a joystick or other USB devices plugged in.

5) It runs ok on my rather dated PC. Overall the graphics quality looks inferior to BFBC2 with lower frame rates which is a little disappointing (meduim settings). Obviously if you have a powerful PC this won't be a concern for you.

6) Only 9 maps! Not very much, and I doubt we'll see anymore as there will be no mapping and modding tools. Needless to say, this game won't last very long.

7) Not many vehicles for rather large player amounts.

8) Not many vehicles in total. I would have liked to see some others, such as a BTR-90, Stryker ATGM and MGS and whatnot.

I have not played the co-op or SP yet, and probably won't until I upgrade my video card. Overall, once the game is polished up I think it will be nice sequel to BFBC2.

Upvote 0
I'm shocked how badly it runs on my system. The only thing that's min spec about my system is the video card. Everything else exceeds. And I had to dial everything down to low and pull several other tricks just to get it to play halfway decent. Mouse input is atrocious, have crashed several times just doing stuff in the menus....and then I get slow motion FPS on anything but the absolute bar minimum. Still get periods of slow motion, even then.

Seriously. I went in with no expectations, and I can't believe how poorly it runs. I know someone is going to go "it runs great for me" and to them I say "congratulations." Having read up on the game's problems, apparently it just doesn't ****ing like Core i5's or i7's, and people suggest...turning off Hyperthreading in your BIOS. For one ****ing game. When I've run Arkham City and Skyrim GREAT out of the box.

I don't honestly know what the problem is, but I'm glad I only spent $30 on it and wasn't that hyped to begin with. Because it's been mostly an underwhelming, crashy, laggy, ugly, jaggy experience for me so far. The shadows are so bad I can't tell if they're actual shadows or warped textures.

And that's before I even get to the Origin's RAEG. On the plus side, I was able to play the co-op missions last night with a friend and they went ok. I just don't see myself giving two craps about multiplayer until this game actually runs worth a **** on my system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you update your drivers? I am on the latest Nvidia drivers and have no issues. My friend has an HD4870 and gets freezing ocasionally. I play on meduim and get from 15-70 frame rates (depends on map/situation):

GTX 260 216 Superclocked
AMD 965
8GB DDR2
Win 7 64bit

Some maps are fine, but some run considerably worse (Caspian Border).

Upvote 0
I have the newest Nvidia drivers.

MP runs much, much better. But I still get slow motion (probably my system doing something at the time) and crashes. Oh lord the crashes. And then half the time the game just sits at Loading Level for 2 to 3 minutes.

I had a decent time once I got into game, staying there was the problem.

And in the campaign I hit a level where it crashed in the same spot repeatedly 5 times in a row. I can't help but feel like it's ironic, considering I had almost no technical problems of this sort with RO2.

Upvote 0
I'm shocked how badly it runs on my system. The only thing that's min spec about my system is the video card. Everything else exceeds. And I had to dial everything down to low and pull several other tricks just to get it to play halfway decent. Mouse input is atrocious, have crashed several times just doing stuff in the menus....and then I get slow motion FPS on anything but the absolute bar minimum. Still get periods of slow motion, even then.

Seriously. I went in with no expectations, and I can't believe how poorly it runs. I know someone is going to go "it runs great for me" and to them I say "congratulations." Having read up on the game's problems, apparently it just doesn't ****ing like Core i5's or i7's, and people suggest...turning off Hyperthreading in your BIOS. For one ****ing game. When I've run Arkham City and Skyrim GREAT out of the box.

I don't honestly know what the problem is, but I'm glad I only spent $30 on it and wasn't that hyped to begin with. Because it's been mostly an underwhelming, crashy, laggy, ugly, jaggy experience for me so far. The shadows are so bad I can't tell if they're actual shadows or warped textures.

And that's before I even get to the Origin's RAEG. On the plus side, I was able to play the co-op missions last night with a friend and they went ok. I just don't see myself giving two craps about multiplayer until this game actually runs worth a **** on my system.
what are your system spec? AFAIK Battlefield 3 i very hardware sensitive game. To be short - without quad core, at least 4GB RAM and video card with at least 1GB you won't run this game 100% smooth (min 40 fps)

Upvote 0