• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Info] Flashing your Bios

Lush

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2011
England
www.thepara.co.uk
I have a member who has had problem with RO2 since day one

Issue mainly being low FPS, unplayable down to 5, max of about 15 when looking into a corner not moving

Now we all thought it was the game, tried all the fixes with no change

She found out today her processor was running at 800mhz instead of 3.4 ghz

She used this program to find out
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Now i am not a computer genius in any way but one of our members said to flash the bios, which she did successfully

She now gets all her settings on ultra with 50-70 fps

Just thought i would pass this on and maybe this will be the same for some others? Who knows i just wanted to pass the info on

Thanks for posting this. Maybe it will help for some of us.
But it is very risky to update the bios. People must be sure to know
how to handle. One mistake and your pc doesn`t start anymore.

I have a great bios. There are 2 of them. If i don`t do the update right i
could use the second bios to repair the first one again. And it can be
updated with a windows program.

Upvote 0
I have a member who has had problem with RO2 since day one

Issue mainly being low FPS, unplayable down to 5, max of about 15 when looking into a corner not moving

Now we all thought it was the game, tried all the fixes with no change

She found out today her processor was running at 800mhz instead of 3.4 ghz

She used this program to find out
[url]http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html[/URL]

Now i am not a computer genius in any way but one of our members said to flash the bios, which she did successfully

She now gets all her settings on ultra with 50-70 fps

Just thought i would pass this on and maybe this will be the same for some others? Who knows i just wanted to pass the info on

Is she sure she did not have AMD speedstep or other type function?
My AMD X6 , and many other processors , have this feature.

Low speed , hence low power consumtion at idle or close to idle.
Ramps up to full on load.
CPUz would show it as the lower speed as it would be close to idle.

Not sure how flashing the bios would change this, but it is a setting in there that can be turned off.

Upvote 0
Oi, there's so many things can go or is wrong here...

It was either severely auto underclocked because it was not in use, a feature common on just about every current CPU and Windows configuration as mgbosshogg mentioned.

Or it was already underclocked in the BIOS for whatever reason and the flash simply restored things to their default state.

Flashing the BIOS is always risky business. I would not recommend people do this unless you understand the risks involved.

Reactions: Rumo
Upvote 0
Flashing the BIOS did fix it for her, the issue was that the old BIOS did not recognise the newer steppings on her later revision CPU, hence the CPU was throttling and not achieving full power.

Flashing the BIOS is not as risky as it used to be, at one time it was very hit and miss and could kill your MB.

now all modern manufacturers use window utilities to flash the BIOS and they are much safer. If your system runs fine then there is generally no need to flash your BIOS, however sometimes memory modules , or CPU's that have come out after the MB was sent to manufacture can has the occasional issue, and in these circumstances it can be worth flashing the BIOS

Reactions: Lush
Upvote 0
The only time I ever had a problem flashing the BIOS was my first time back in 1998. As mentioned above, it is much easier and safer to flash the BIOS from Windows these days. I have done it four or five times since my first failed attempt.

However, its usually best to just do it like the situation above with newer hardware or if you are having a problem and the BIOS notes mentions a fix for your problem.

Upvote 0
Oi, there's so many things can go or is wrong here...

It was either severely auto underclocked because it was not in use, a feature common on just about every current CPU and Windows configuration as mgbosshogg mentioned.

Or it was already underclocked in the BIOS for whatever reason and the flash simply restored things to their default state.

Flashing the BIOS is always risky business. I would not recommend people do this unless you understand the risks involved.

I am not saying go out there and do it

I am saying this is what she did and it fixed the game for her which she has been frustrated with since day one.

Yes there are risks, but like i said i didnt tell anyone to go and do it, i just told a story of someone who had some success at being able to play this game which is annoying a lot of people.

Her computer has run every other game fine.

Upvote 0