• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Airplanes!

Chadwiick

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Tampa, Florida
Airplanes, a future Red Orchestra experience coming to you in the brand new "Red Orchestra 4" coming 2019. Will Tripwire come to ariel combat in one a future RO? After all they have it all, Officers, infantry, squads, tanks, somewhat artillery... What's next?!

*Edited* Ok, it has come to my attention that some people are seeing wrong, I posted this as a joke and if someone actually wants to talk about RO Aircraft playability then they are welcome, I am always open to more.... Gosh people.

Last edited:
If you have a thing for airplanes as myself you should checkout the recently announced IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover which has been in development for 6 years. (PC only and formerly known as Storm of War Battle of Britain)

I posted in the offtopic gaming forum about it.

Anyway there isn't any good reason to implement aircrafts and infantry combat in the same game unless you're going for something unrealistic like Battlefield. Like people have mentioned before, the maps would have to be small enough for infantry to get around but big enough for airplanes and lets just say that it will become a constant amount of U-turns across the map.

Last but not least the insane amount of work to make airplanes,fm,dm, aerodynamics and aircombat accurate as well, and since Oleg and 1C are already developing the most realistic ww2 combat sim to date to follow up their previous IL2 which at the moment is the most realistic ww2 flight sim , so there is just no need for Tripwire to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
implied-facepalm.jpg

Upvote 0
In general planes wouldn't really be worth the work. If RO had a more strategic gamemode with bots and humans and the corresponding maps for it, then planes might work, but I think they are probably focused on the basic tank/infantry gameplay and the maps to support that kind of gameplay.

Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to create a plane? Would it just be a matter of modifying a UT3 vehicle script or is there a lot more to it?

Upvote 0
In general planes wouldn't really be worth the work. If RO had a more strategic gamemode with bots and humans and the corresponding maps for it, then planes might work, but I think they are probably focused on the basic tank/infantry gameplay and the maps to support that kind of gameplay.

Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to create a plane? Would it just be a matter of modifying a UT3 vehicle script or is there a lot more to it?

If they wanted it to be realistic, then forget about it.

Plus, say theoretically RO3 has like 100 men on a map, one plane could probably own that whole map, we have to wait until RO15 has like thousands of men on a map for it to be worth it.

Reactions: Chadwiick
Upvote 0
If they wanted it to be realistic, then forget about it.

Plus, say theoretically RO3 has like 100 men on a map, one plane could probably own that whole map, we have to wait until RO15 has like thousands of men on a map for it to be worth it.

Most likely the plane would lawn dart trying to strafe infantry.

Have seen that far too often in WW2 online and ARMA (hence my name...)

Upvote 0
I dream with a WW2 game that has 10000 people per team in a 100 square miles map of an entire city like Berlin with a perfect command chain, a player as the general deep behind the lines and everyone on his team following his orders, but I think there will never be a game like that :D

WW2online

A small higher up command chain, but people follow their orders more or less.

Impossible to have grunts follow Lt's orders as there is no discipline or consequences as IRL

Upvote 0