• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The honest thoughts of an RO:Ost vet

Indeed, this is why I have very little hope for RO2 now. At lot of problems are conscious decisions from Tripwire.

They've pulled a George Lucas on the RO fans but making changes nobody ever asked for and sticking with them no matter how much we protest. I mean, why isn't there an option to switch the language to Russian and German only? It's right there in the game, it's not like they have to hire people to record the lines. Yet they insist on making us hear our team speak english with accents.

It sucks that RO fans will have to come up with mods in order to bring essential and no-brainer fixes to the mess that RO2 currently is.

So true, too much battlefield2 had gotten into their heads and constant fixation to beat cod series have lead the game into ruin and now they paying the price of losing many customers. I wish they were more inspiring by the classic titles like Combat Mission game or WW2 online and such. Then RO2 perhaps would be better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree,

the deliberate pacing is what I really miss, working hard to slowly gain ground, and finally objectives... playing one map for 20min or more, you really got a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment...
So much this.

I honestly can't fault the game mechanics though, it's not like you sprint at unrealistic speeds (except for stairs) and I don't really buy the sway arguments as much either.

I think it's more due to the maps. Maybe they were like RO1 in size (not played it, no idea) but as the pace has increased (realism or not, that's not the point) the maps have become 'smaller'.

I came in expecting the great moments of ARMA 2 without the not as great boring moments of doing nothing at all trying to get a game up, I can see a really solid foundation but the current maps.. ugh. Can't say I'm a big fan of the game modes either, or at least not how they are currently implemented.

Makes me glad though, if there were inherit flaws with the mechanics it would be harder for mods to just fix it. But maps and game modes? I'm sure I'll get what I'm looking for in due time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This video shows how fast aiming down the sight,lack of sway,and the absence of the Ro1 limb damage system is killing teamwork.
Call Of Red Orchestra - YouTube

The long ADS time in Ostfront,combined with the limb damage system, kept players from running and gunning. In the video,it takes only half a second to ADS even after sprinting. He can still sprint even after getting shot in the crotch! It's like everyone's on PCP!

Upvote 0
Yeah yeah. But next time you go to play... and you load up Apartments... ask yourself, "Am I really having fun?". (This only applies to you if you are an RO1 vet sorry)

I know, I was just being witty. Lol, I am an RO vet. :p I am way too mixed on the opinion of what to think about this game, there's some parts I love, and some parts I hate.

Upvote 0
This video shows how fast aiming down the sight,lack of sway,and the absence of the Ro1 limb damage system is killing teamwork.

The long ADS time in Ostfront,combined with the limb damage system, kept players from running and gunning. In the video,it takes only half a second to ADS even after sprinting. He can still sprint even after getting shot in the crotch! It's like everyone's on PCP!

Or maybe its the fact that no one wants to work together from the get go that kills teamwork and not how weapons shoot. I go into servers and I'm the only person who even has a mic or even talking through chat (while not trolling).

Upvote 0

wow is that guy havin an orgasm? wow.

yea that does look really stupid.
didnt realise how bad it was because im still trying to play like i used to in RO1, keep it stealthy, used cover etc.
This looks bang-on like ww2 COD gameplay.

Upvote 0
These things are not "noob friendly", they are realistic. In this game, unlike the others you mentioned, bullets actually leave the barrel and travel across the map. The rifles are as accurate as the shooter, just like in reality. Not dumbed down at all, rather ramped up to a realistic level.

Except that the "shooter" is a guy sitting at a computer desk and holding a mouse.

Upvote 0
Except that the "shooter" is a guy sitting at a computer desk and holding a mouse.

Exactly. This is why I think the fundamental flaw of RO2 is not the weapons (TWI states that they are accurate to their real life counterparts), but the way the player controls his/her character. I'm not talking about controlling with a mouse and keyboard, but rather that the physics and movement system for the player is completely unrealistic.

EDIT: Right now it feels like I'm controlling a floating camera more than it feels like I'm controlling a soldier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exactly. This is why I think the fundamental flaw of RO2 is not the weapons (TWI states that they are accurate to their real life counterparts), but the way the player controls his/her character. I'm not talking about controlling with a mouse and keyboard, but rather that the physics and movement system for the player is completely unrealistic.

I agree on what you said above, though I don't think RO2 is complete, utter, irrecoverable trainwreck.

I once pulled 7kills-0death in about 3 minutes on church map? (long distant big map) near the german base, hit and running with SVT and Mkb I picked up.

....it was like,,,fun though I don't appreciate RO2's theme of really easy to be accurate rifles men at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We need bigger maps and infantry transport vehicles.

I seem to remember the devs saying of RO1 about maps like Arad that they couldn't create a lot of detail in buildings and the map overall because of engine limitations. Well they are on a new engine but instead of creating large detailed maps they created small detailed maps. One of the best things about RO1 was the variety in maps, sometimes you played slow big maps and sometimes you played small intense maps. In RO2 all you have is small intense maps and to be honest it gets repetitive and mentally draining. Those big maps gave you a breather and time to rest before being tossed back into the meat grinder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the speed in which you can bring the weapon from the hip to the shoulder and still retain accuracy is causing 70% of all the problems in game play.

It's too fast, and doesnt make sense.

Upvote 0
The idea of your model and weapons appearing more and more well-worn is an awesome idea btw.

This is wrong. Weapons get shinier, brighter and better looking the higher the level they are. It doesn't make any sense.

Most would assume that the more you use the weapon, the more weathered it would get. TWI for some reason is playing the "OPPOSITE DAY!" card.

Upvote 0
So true, too much battlefield2 had gotten into their heads and constant fixation to beat cod series have lead the game into ruin and now they paying the price of losing many customers. I wish they were more inspiring by the classic titles like Combat Mission game or WW2 online and such. Then RO2 perhaps would be better.

Combat Mission!

Hell yes! They even have a new WWII game. Thanks for reminding me of this awesome serie. I had lost interest a few years ago when they moved to modern warfare. Looks like I will dive back into that.

Upvote 0
Nothing can beat the original in a series of games, that trip down memory lane often clouds your judgement when sequels come along that try to offer something different.

On the one hand, Ostfront has a very, very, very small playerbase and never seemed to get the popularity it deserved. I can't help but think Tripwire tried hard to make it a better seller and give it much better appeal.

...Either way, Tripwire are losing out with this style of shooter. I love Red Orchestra and would love to see it in competitive leagues, it's just a shame shooters have to be like COD to sell and last these days.

Upvote 0