• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remove Team Tanking

PiTiFUL

Aug 6, 2006
I checked the 'read this thread' and did a search, surprised nobody suggested this. Tanks should be a one man operation, remove the need for a driver and gunner, IMO it would make the game so much better and I think it would become more popular.

I think what makes the tank combat in this game so great is not team tanking but is the realism of the ballistics and armour penetration. I feel that if tanks were made to operate with one person the tank\combined arms maps would feel and play much better as there would be much more action going on. I think team tanking is the major drawback for this game to really take off. At 32 players there are just not enough bodys to be crewing tanks.

Let me use arad as an example of what I mean by the two different systems.

Arad now ... full server, 16 players per team, 6 tanks. 6 tanks load up ... ah well there are not enought people to load up 6 tanks. So lets say only 2ppl per tank, so thats 12 people and that leaves 4 infantry. So you have 4 people to support 6 tanks, this is hardly realistic combined arms gameplay. So this map ends up really just a tank battle with a couple people running around, makes me wonder why the transports carry anything more then 2 ppl.

Arad (one man tank) ... full server yada yada. So now the 6 tanks are manned by 6 people that leaves 10 infantry men in support. Now you have the same tank warfare going on and a good infantry battle in the towns, it has in essance doubled the action going on in the battlefield. Even better would be the action on a map like Barashka.

You will not end up at spawn with nothing to drive becuase tanks are not being filled to capacity. Only six tanks, only six people will be able to spawn as tankers, its is not fun gameing to be standing at spawn with a pistol and nothing to drive. It eliminates all frustration with people who do not want to team up. Well not sure if I got my point across, but I think one-man tanks would really make this game so much better. I am not agianst team tanking, I just belive it is too difficult to pull off and 32 player servers are too small for it.

NOTE read my second post 8 posts down, a compromise of sorts that would allow both, not on the same server.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordSteve
You want one-man tanking, go play CoD or BF.

In fact, I say that they enforce quite the opposite. Don't allow people to hop in a tank and leave by themselves. Make it a requirement that there be a mininum of two people in a tank for it to operate.

Either that, or allow someone to solo-tank, but make it so damned hard to do it that it makes it a completely inane idea to try. Easiest way to do that would be just to drastically increase the amount of time it takes for a person to switch positions.

If the problem is that there's too many tanks and not enough people to crew them and still leave infantry, then the problem is that there's too many tanks. Remove half.

Or, leave the full amount of tanks in, and make it an absolute nightmare to try and single-man it. People will eventually get tired of it, and team tank, or switch over to an infantry role.

Either way, I'd rather see robo-hitler in the game, before I'd see such a blatant ignorance of realism like solo-tanking ala CoD. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
What if it could be done both ways. If it could be made as a server side option, where if you want a 'team tank' game you would set your sever for 'team tanking'. If you want to set up a 'solo tank' game you set the option for 'solo tanking'. Create two sets of tanks, one that can be manned by multiple people and one that is manned by one person. This way both sides are happy and you do not get people in team tank games that only want to solo, make the game more popular to a wider audience. For the record I like team tanking but it is so rare that it actually works in a pub enviroment. I was just on a server that enforces team tanking and a member of that server drove me into a mine field because he wanted the tank for himself a was pissed I wouldnt get out, ya great fun that was. How many times I have seen new people to the game trying to learn to team tank and just get lambasted because they were not good, give up and leave. Would it not be better if they go over to a solo tanking server learn the basics and then have a go at team tanking if thats what they want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I checked the 'read this thread' and did a search, surprised nobody suggested this. Tanks should be a one man operation, remove the need for a driver and gunner, IMO it would make the game so much better and I think it would become more popular.

I think what makes the tank combat in this game so great is not team tanking but is the realism of the ballistics and armour penetration. I feel that if tanks were made to operate with one person the tank\combined arms maps would feel and play much better as there would be much more action going on. I think team tanking is the major drawback for this game to really take off. At 32 players there are just not enough bodys to be crewing tanks.

Let me use arad as an example of what I mean by the two different systems.

Arad now ... full server, 16 players per team, 6 tanks. 6 tanks load up ... ah well there are not enought people to load up 6 tanks. So lets say only 2ppl per tank, so thats 12 people and that leaves 4 infantry. So you have 4 people to support 6 tanks, this is hardly realistic combined arms gameplay. So this map ends up really just a tank battle with a couple people running around, makes me wonder why the transports carry anything more then 2 ppl.

Arad (one man tank) ... full server yada yada. So now the 6 tanks are manned by 6 people that leaves 10 infantry men in support. Now you have the same tank warfare going on and a good infantry battle in the towns, it has in essance doubled the action going on in the battlefield. Even better would be the action on a map like Barashka.

You will not end up at spawn with nothing to drive becuase tanks are not being filled to capacity. Only six tanks, only six people will be able to spawn as tankers, its is not fun gameing to be standing at spawn with a pistol and nothing to drive. It eliminates all frustration with people who do not want to team up. Well not sure if I got my point across, but I think one-man tanks would really make this game so much better. I am not agianst team tanking, I just belive it is too difficult to pull off and 32 player servers are too small for it.

No. Realism>Gameplay

Upvote 0
I have a better idea !
Portray one-man tanking in a realistic manner (position-switching animations that take time, as well as enter/exit animations) so its close to useless and hereby enforce teamtanking and then remove some of the tanks on Arad so that there are max 3 per team.

Problem solved.

I don't like the remove the number of tanks idea; for the Soviets, that'd be an IS-2 and two T-34/85's, which is 8 people who could use the tanks in total.

It's difficult to balance out maps with that small a number of tanks. Panther, Tiger, PzIv would be unbalanced compared to two T34s and an IS-2, but you could only have one of Panther/Tiger.

I do wholeheartedly support the animations for switching positions, though.

Upvote 0
i think a lot of people here didn't bother to read past his first paragraph. it is an outrageous idea but he did give sound arguments to back up his idea. I don't see this ever happening in RO since team tanking is one of RO's unique features. It does seem ludicrous on tank maps like arad where you have a silly amount of infantry supporting a large amount of tanks. There simply aren't enough players to have realistic combined arms numbers. I think the best thing to do is just to remove all non-tank classes from tank maps so you don't have 1 or 2 infantry and 6 tanks on each side

Upvote 0
PiTiFUL

I just cannot imagine, how could it be possible to drive tank and aim both gun and MG at one time. If you drive in gunner sit it would be very little FOV, if you drive in driver sit, how would you aim? <= only by arcade-style crosshair (no crosshairs pls in RO)

p.s. If you think that there not enough infantry players then go play combined arms maps. Also, I dont think that even 10 inf players would be enough to support 6 tanks

Upvote 0
I just cannot imagine, how could it be possible to drive tank and aim both gun and MG at one time. If you drive in gunner sit it would be very little FOV, if you drive in driver sit, how would you aim? <= only by arcade-style crosshair (no crosshairs pls in RO)

p.s. If you think that there not enough infantry players then go play combined arms maps. Also, I dont think that even 10 inf players would be enough to support 6 tanks

Same you would wonder how Soviets have endless supplies of IS-2

Upvote 0
First, a polite initial post about removing team tanking. Good.

I happen to disagree. For most tanks, the crews were 4 to 5 man and they have been cut down to 2 to 3. With a bit of practice, you can very successfully crew a tank with 2 or 3 players. It is not that difficult at all. Use VOIP. Use your keyboard commands. And use your head! That is the way the game was designed.

If at some future point, animations and delays in switching positions enter/exit of tanks were implemented, I would support them also.

But I think that forcing one man tanks would be eliminating the *teamwork that RO attempts to capture.

-------------------------------

* I am not saying those tankers who prefer solo are not team players, please don't misread.

Upvote 0