• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MP40 isn't OP

The truth is that some weapons ingame atm feature too much recoil compared to the real thing (Mkb42, PPSh & MG34 esp.), whilst others do not (MP40 etc.).

In addition to this pistols and SMGs currently overpenetrate, they basically shoot through the same stuff as the rifle rounds, whilst riflerounds seem to lack the punch of the real thing. Furthermore some rounds don't do near enough damage, which is esp. the case with the 7.92x33 Kurz ingame, which doesn't do near enough damage pr. shot atm.

Reactions: [SM]Fluttershy
Upvote 0
You can't really compare the PPSH to the MP40 since they both have different uses and play-styles. The MP40 is a good all around weapon, jack of all trades master of none. It is reliable at pretty much any range currently in the game. The PPSH on the other hand, lends itself to head-on assaults. It trades mediocrity at all ranges for supremacy at one range.

If you're advancing slowly, peering through your ironsights, I can see why you think might thing it's an underpowered weapon. I find it much more effective than the MP40 if used inside about 20m complemented by grenades. shoot from the hip, pick up grenades whenever you see them, and stay out of open areas.

When fighting indoors, I find it best to run around in a standing position rather than a crouched position, since you can more easily pop out from around corners and take even prepared enemies by surprise.

p.s.

SHOOT FROM THE HIP

Upvote 0
When fighting indoors, I find it best to run around in a standing position rather than a crouched position, since you can more easily pop out from around corners and take even prepared enemies by surprise.
I find this to be true for a different reason: crouching puts your head directly in the line of fire. When I first started playing online I used to crouch all the time (since that's what you do in singleplayer), and I was basically giving away free headshots to all my enemies. It was a thing I had to unlearn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is more than just loading on ammo to this, but you should compare 9mm Parabellum vs. 7.62x25 Tokarev

Unus Offa and myself had quite a thread conversation on that matter, starts around here

I was just using the precedent of the Nagant revolver that modern commercial loads are a lot "lighter" than what the Russians used. out of a 16" carbine barrel, Some old bulgarian surplus ammo was getting 1910 FPS according to a review I read on J&G sales. I may add, that 9mm test does not mention barrel length used, where the Tokarev does (just 120mm) (PPSH Barrel is 269mm).

essentially, Like the nagant revolver rounds, If the Bulgarian stuff is anything like the soviet bullets, it runs very "hot". I've read that the difference is huge, I know I'm making extrapolations, but modern rounds from the nagant revolver are considered weak, bute here's a quote:

Most commercially loaded ammunition for the Nagant, including Fiocchi and the "СССР"-marked yellow box imports, are target ammunition, and do not have great stopping power. The low power of these rounds has given the Nagant a reputation as an underpowered sidearm. However, the original military ball cartridges fired bullets in the 6.5 g (100 grains) range at up to 330 m/s (1,100 ft/s), making them close to the .32-20 Winchester and .32 H&R Magnum in power. These original military ball rounds are very hard to find and are considered collector's items.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Judge not the recoil of a level 0 gun in comparison to a trained soldier in reality as a level 0 gun refers to someone who's fresh and had only recently started to use a weapon. Level 50 is the 'experienced' soldier a lot of people keep referring to when referencing the recoil and the PPSH is very easy to handle when maxed out. The main issue is there doesn't seem to be much difference between a level 0 mp40 and a level 50 one

Reactions: hishnik and Goten
Upvote 0
I agree, The Monk put it very nicely in just a few sentences too. Currently, every weapon has its use suited for situations and tastes.

Its us against the horde of bolcheviks, brothers!

Absolutely right.

However, the problem is not the MkB42's power. Everyone knows its a highly capable and effective weapon, as it should be, as it was in reality.

The problem lies in the amount of them.

I really wouldn't have a complaint if there was perhaps one MKB per team. If an enemy player has one, you learn to treat them with a certain amount of respect and adjust your play accordingly.

When you are playing against many of them, it kind of leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. I think it cheapens the weapon, knowing that there's a segment of players who grind to unlock it and never use anything else. I don't think many choose the weapon and decide to use it to enhance their teams effectiveness. They choose it because it's the most powerful and easy to use weapon in the game, they unlocked it, and they just want to run around getting kills with it.

The end result is huge backlash from the community about how powerful the MkB is, when in reality, it's just that so many are using it to 'pwn' others.

Reactions: Goten and the_Monk
Upvote 0
Absolutely right.

However, the problem is not the MkB42's power. Everyone knows its a highly capable and effective weapon, as it should be, as it was in reality.

The problem lies in the amount of them.

Absolutely agreed.

Special weapons should be exactly that "special". Meaning 1 per team (32-players or less).

I just wish more people didn't play the game so polarized (where they only want one faction/weapon. It's that whole modern FPS mindset I alluded to in my previous posts).

Instead of picking the weapon most appropriate for the current map area/situation many players simply pick a faction/weapon based on personal preference.

Doing that; severly limits the player's potential battlefield effectiveness and also keeps the player much more ignorant about other weapons, their potential threat as well as individual strengths really only revealed through advanced (in some cases) use.

Upvote 0
Goten, it seems that we are playing a different game. On servers I play you have less than a second to kill enemy if you meet him at below 80m range and he can see you. At 40-80m you are at clear disadvantage with PPSh, and while you can try to press your luck, the chances are that the recoil will throw off your aim and you wont kill the enemy while he will kill you. While it still possible to kill enemy at 40-80m range with PPSh its just not as effective as MP-40 or Mkb. Below those ranges PPSh is more effective but it can still miss due to recoil (and game stuttering) at 20-40m, but I cant say that its more effective than MP-40 as at those ranges its usually about who points his gun at the enemy first. And if the enemy moves its easier to correct your aim with MP-40. Below 20m you can start hipfiring with PPSh (its only advantage, but then we have MG34 which is much better at hipfiring), if not, then its the usual who points first kind of firefight where both guns are equal.

p.s. I dont quite get the idea of suppressing the enemy with SMG that some people talk about here. Either you kill your enemy or you get killed by it, there's no suppression in between.
p.p.s. Above 80m PPSh is mostly useless. You can try to kill someone only if you know that the person cant see you and if he does you can retreat somewhere safe. MP-40 is much more universal, it can still be effective at rifle range, not as effective as rifles but you wont have a problems with killing the guy behind the next cover where you'll sprint to after you are done with him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not complaining about the mp40 anymore even tho its a bit too accurate at extended ranges.At least it was common in 1942 unlike the mkb-42 which 90% of the assault classes use now.I would like to see the mp40/II and mkb as elite assault class or hero weapons both was extremely rare and is even debatable for even being at Stalingrad at all.

I'm a history buff and RO has always been my shinning beacon of hope for a realism game in ww2.Ro1 was spot on when it came to load outs not sure why they changed their approach.With hordes of rare prototype weapons the norm and bolts being super rare it ruins the realism...for me anyway

opps lol got off track with my ranting :p to keep from derailing this thread.Personally I still prefer the ppsh over the mp40 while it isnt as effective at extreme ranges it is hands down the best close quarter weapon in the game.

Upvote 0
The MP-40 is accurate, but that's actually a negative quality at close range. The PPSH has more spread, but its controllable at higher levels when hip firing and you can swing your gun around left to right and clear out whole rooms.

I think the single shot feature with the PPSh would actually make it deadly at distance because you usually burst fire 2-3 shots at a time when trying to hit people at a distance which makes it harder to hit them.

Upvote 0
OK, the question is, why the PPSh is the only weapon that needs LEVELING to be effective?

Every gun in-game is "balanced" around their lvl 50 stats. At lvl 50 they all have the same stats bonuses which is about 20-25% everything.

The PPSh drum helps, but there's an annoying bug where if you reload from a fully depleted drum your next drum is close to empty and the one after is half-full even if you have 3 full drums. You have to reload 2 times to a full drum.

Upvote 0
OK, the question is, why the PPSh is the only weapon that needs LEVELING to be effective?

It isn't. People just like to complain.

I've rarely used the PPSh, and haven't noticed any change as I've leveled up. Fire in short quick bursts if you're beyond short range, duck your head under cover and call up a rifleman if you need to engage long range. Throw a grenade in a room and then run through to kill anything that survived.

The PPSh is a great weapon, even without the drum mags.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vesper11
Upvote 0
I've rarely used the PPSh, and haven't noticed any change as I've leveled up. Fire in short quick bursts if you're beyond short range, duck your head under cover and call up a rifleman if you need to engage long range. Throw a grenade in a room and then run through to kill anything that survived.
I dont have a pocket rifleman or time to wait for it to come to me and kill the enemy (or get itself killed, so I'll have to wait for another one). And another question, why the PPSh is the only weapon that is only useful at short ranges? Bolts are more useful in CQC than PPSh at medium-long range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The PPSh is a great weapon, even without the drum mags.

It's not really "great" until you get the drum and your weapons over lvl 30. The drum magazines make a huge difference and the gun recoils excessively at low lvls and starts to balance itself out over lvl 30.

It's not like the MKB which basically rapes-face and the MP-40 that has no recoil at lvl 1.

Upvote 0