• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An honest request from an Axis Player.

Serrow

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2011
I'll admit if flat out, I love playing the Germans. That said, I don't mind occasionally switching to Allies in order to balance things out, but typically, I'm your run-of-the-mill Axis fanboy that enjoys the occasional WW2 shooter. Got into R01 and DH for quite a few years and enjoyed myself there as well.

And yet, I can not help but facedesk repeatedly every single time someone brings up the Mkb42 and CoD in the same sentence.

On nearly every server I go to, it's the same damn thing, "u only killeded me becuz of mkb42 u goddamn c0d nub, i cant wait till you leave for bf3."

At first it was tolerable, but now it feels as though it's infected much of the community. No matter what the situation is, how poor the player was, or how much the circumstances were in my favor, it's always - you guessed it, the Mkb42 cod noob weapon's fault.

It doesn't matter if it's a russian rifleman charging with his bayonet at me and I have a knee-jerk reaction and shoot him several times, it was the 'weapon' I have that caused my victory.

No no, perish the thought that an MP40 or Ppsh could have done the job with equal efficiency, then perhaps the sheer willpower of his mind could have caused his bayonet to deflect the bullets and stick me.

It was just the Mkb42, that's all.

I get the frustration on the Allied side about not having a hard counter to the Mkb, but it really feels like it's time to let go griping about how bad it is for you because of nothing -BUT- that weapon. The teams weren't designed to be symmetrical clones of each other, else why the **** would anyone bother to play? We may as well just have different skins for a gun that does the same thing, shoots the same way, with the same ammo, at the same rate.

The Ppsh still rules as king of CQC. No MP40 or Mkb42 will save you if a Ppsh wielder knows what he's doing, it's just that damn ruthless. (Gott save us when more people get the drum..)

As far as the MP40 goes, I feel as though it's inferior to the Mkb42, and will yield a little on that side of things, though as my friends pointed out, they like it because they feel its lower recoil control allow them to easily make shots at longer distances than people realize. Person preference.

Point being : People need to stop blaming a ****ing gun for being killed. It's not the gun, it's ultimately the player using that gun that decides how effective it's going to be. Blaming the other person's lack of skill and choice in weaponry while you're staring at the respawn menu as they happily prance atop your corpse makes words ring hollow.

((P.S, this isn't aimed at people who don't mind the Mkb42, but just want to see less of it. That I understand, and that is a separate issue. This is just targeted at people who constantly spam the server with, "nurff mkb42" or "goddamn mkb42 cod nubs."))

In any event, thanks for reading, I'm interested to see other people's thoughts on the matter.

Just wait until MP40s and PPS's with double and drum mags become common place. People will forget all about the MKBs and whine about those instead. The mkb is just the *****ing flavor of the month

I actually unlocked the MP40/II, can't say I care for it much. It works on the mechanic that it's just the MP-40, but uses one clip, then you have an animation to switch it to the other clip that takes a few seconds.

So it's incapable of steady continuous 74-round fire, as the common belief appears to be.

Upvote 0
A lot of the complaints about the MKB were during the phase wherein everyone regardless of DDE or not had them for Assault AND the other SMG classes. So, fair ones there. Also the AVT is a highly asymmetric match up, which of course is going to make people complain.

I am frustrated with the use of BF/COD as derogatory terms. Every game has the game its fans lambaste like that, and it got old about ten years ago.

PPSH with fire select will probably turn out to be the best overall weapon.

Upvote 0
I actually think the Mbk42 spam has been toned down a lot lately. Right now only assault classes who preordered Deluxe have access, which isn't a terribly large percentage of the game population.

As an aside, i really prefer the MP40. Easier handling, more reliable in the short to mid range. I almost always use the K98 but the few times I go assault I always pick the '40.

Upvote 0
And that all could have been avoided by just putting correct weapons in the game which were used in Stalingrad, there's tons of other things which are cool but aren't in RO2, even though they were there IRL.

Examples:

Molotov
MG42
Luger ( seriously you guys, WWII is nothing without the Luger. )

ect.
For a period of time, everyone wanted the MG42. Now due to the MKB42, no one wants another powerful gun to the axis side due to balance issues. Even though those same people were complaining about realism > balance when TWI made the PPSH start off with a regular mag and not the drum.

I dunno, that's just been my observation from lurking these forums for some time now...

Reactions: Uffz.Juschkat
Upvote 0
While having some good points, your post is still a typical defensive post of someone who is using an overpowered entity in a game but wants to believe that it is still all skill. Sure, skill does come into the equation, but you just need to realise that you really do have a much easier gun to use, and in most of those cases when people call you an "mkb noob", they have a point, you probably would have lost that fight, have you had a bolt action rifle for example.

While we are at it, this is mostly about mkb because it is a flavor of the month, but all automatic (and to some extent semi automatic) weapons in this game are pretty much the same - very easy to use and require very little skill to get kills with. When the "mkb fad" is over, the whining will shift to drum-ppsh or mp-40/II.

If you are inclined to argue about this, consider doing a following experiment first, record your stats when playing with mkb or any smg for a few rounds on various maps, and then do the same, playing with a bolt rifle, but without changing you playing style. That means, do what you usually do, if you normally attack aggressively, do that. Record stats and compare your performance.

P.S.
Before you put me into the "mkb whiner" category and dismiss the post, note that I am not complaining about the mkb, but just pointing out why some people do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
Yeah that's what I sort of meant, firstly the MKB needs to go, but we're still waiting for the UDK to make new maps so we can assign weapon classes and edit existing ones. In any case the server will have to be unranked and that's probably going to scare off any pubbers since everyone wants to rank up, very reasonable of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well thought out post!.

I appreciate the civil reply, first of all. :)

I do see your point, but you did go the extra step further for me - it's not necessarily a problem particular to the Mkb42 so much as it is the frequency of all such weapons. Between Semi-automatics and automatics such as the Ppsh, Mp-40, SVT, G41 and what have you, many situations are had where a bolt simply is unable to compete short of a lucky shot or some damn-good reflexes.

I have played aggressively with a bolt before, but it's difficult and time-consuming to do it right, ultimately, it's far easier to accomplish the same thing, but with the MP-40, G41, OR Mkb42, any of them will do, it's just a matter of personal preference and minor adjustments in play-style at that point.

Perhaps the real distinctiveness of these weapons will shine through when larger community-made maps are created, and bolts are able to utilize that extreme ranged capabilities they are so prized for, rather than being stuck on a map like Apartments in which there is little hope in most situations.

Upvote 0