• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Newbie Medic

Exeriti

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 19, 2011
Okay, I play as a medic, and im quite enjoying the class.
Increased syringe recharge, cheaper and better body armour makes me able to survive for allmost the entire game.

What ive found out is best for me, is to go with:
9mm Tactical
MP7 Medic Gun
Machete/Kantana
Body Armour
Grenades

This gives me a total weight of 5/7, which allows me to scavange fallen team mates/map weapons which i then use up in order to save ammo. I only fill up ammo for the 9mm and MP7, but on maps where i know where the ammo spawns, i never buy more ammo.

My favorite map so far is the police station. The map allows me to stay near and in the jail area killing monsters until wave 5/10. Here, i got a nice spawn of ammo and body armour, and team mates up the stairs to back me up then things go badly.

Any one got any tips to how to improve my basic strategy? I find this quite good, but then the total monsters on the map is 500-700+, i really need to be with my team mates.

Sounds like you are playing on a server with faked players and/or more player slots in order to get 500+ specimens.

If you play normal games its largely due to personal preference really. I myself don't like to use the Katana as the Medic, because when your up against it Sirens and Husks will give you alot of grief, and crawlers can be a pain as well if there are other things pushing you as well.

Best weapon for supprting your team is the LAR in my opinion.
- Its cheap to buy AND maintain so you can pass plenty of money onto your other teammates
- Its got good power so it will kill crawlers in 1 shot allowing others to focus on other speicmens, and in a pinch it will easily decapitate and kill bloats, clots and gorefasts.
- It can stun Husks, so if your Sharpie or W/e is engaged with something else you can at least stun husks, if not kill them for him and your team.

But as I say its personal preference what loadout you go for, and it also depends on the difficulty. Hard or lower the XBow is the better choice for team support.

Upvote 0
There's no official police station map, so it's likely that you've been playing a lot of modded servers. A good general tip is that if you and your team aren't able to handle the amount of enemies you're getting, you probably should switch from medic.

If you play normal games its largely due to personal preference really. I myself don't like to use the Katana as the Medic, because when your up against it Sirens and Husks will give you alot of grief, and crawlers can be a pain as well if there are other things pushing you as well.

Best weapon for supprting your team is the LAR in my opinion.
- Its cheap to buy AND maintain so you can pass plenty of money onto your other teammates
- Its got good power so it will kill crawlers in 1 shot allowing others to focus on other speicmens, and in a pinch it will easily decapitate and kill bloats, clots and gorefasts.
- It can stun Husks, so if your Sharpie or W/e is engaged with something else you can at least stun husks, if not kill them for him and your team.

But as I say its personal preference what loadout you go for, and it also depends on the difficulty. Hard or lower the XBow is the better choice for team support.

Pretty much this, if you can get a cheap katana as/from a berserker it's alright to have, especially for being able to defend yourself consistently at close range against small mobs, but the LAR is a great weapon (actually does kill husks and sirens on normal difficulty, just not on hard+).

The crossbow can definitely be a good assist weapon albeit with expensive ammo and not a huge help against scrakes or fleshpounds.. a niche weapon in the hands of a medic, imo, though some use it more liberally.

Upvote 0
I found, after much trial and error, that the following loadout it quite good for camping teams:

2011091700001m.jpg

Katana in #1, Dual Handcannons in #2, M10 in #3, and MP7 in #4.

It gives you a weapon for every situation, and plenty of firepower to persuade any wandering FPs or Scrakes that you're a better target than your teammates. :D

Upvote 0
I don't wanna automatically say your build is stupid or anything, but I must confess that I really can't understand why you have a Mac10. What possible function does that serve? As I understand, the Mac10 only fires Incendiary rounds if you're a Firebug, and doesn't do much bullet damage. Surely those 4 blocks of weight could be better used by something else?

Upvote 0
I don't wanna automatically say your build is stupid or anything, but I must confess that I really can't understand why you have a Mac10. What possible function does that serve? As I understand, the Mac10 only fires Incendiary rounds if you're a Firebug, and doesn't do much bullet damage. Surely those 4 blocks of weight could be better used by something else?

It's an attention-getting weapon.

You want the attention that an FP or Scrake is giving to your teammates?
An M10 does that job.

Want something you can use to kill the weaker specs when your teammates can't?
An M10 does that job.

Like automatic weapons, but the rifles are too heavy to carry more than 2?
An M10 does that job.

I don't see a single weapon that can replace the M10 in this Medic loadout.
I challenge you to come up with something that can grab attention as well as it.

Upvote 0
i challenge you to come up with something that can grab attention as well as it.
m79?

Back OT though, I highly recommend starting off with:
fireaxe
MP7 (obviously)
LAR
Total price - 400-600
I always use this loadout because it's cheap yet incredibly effective, even up to Suicidal (I've only just started HoE so idk there). With the LAR you can moonlight as a Sharpshooter AND deal with crawlers in one shot. The axe however, is the most important part of the kit because with it you can suddenly berserk nearly as well as your team's berserk, and can save huge amounts of ammo by chopping that gorefast or clot with 1 or 2 swipes, rather than having to waste 1/2 your mag on a single target.

Oh, and did I mention it's actually CHEAPER than dirt?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I highly recommend starting off with:
fireaxe
MP7 (obviously)
LAR
I'm using those weapons, too.

You want to get attention? MP7 is good enough to do that because it has a high rate of fire and you WILL get this attention when you shoot the raging FP.
(Edit: When I have to block it I always throw 1-2 nades at a raging FP and then firing the hole clip in it's head.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played lotsa medic, almost every side arm has it's ups and downs. Here's a list of weapons mentioned here from MY OWN view.

Dual HC:
Face it, Handcannon or Handcannons is worthless as an off-perk weapon. It won't change for medic either. Long reloading and full recoil, and then you can't put piercing shots or headshots in proper work either. Not useless, but not worth carrying as an off-perk, imo. It can stun or kill a little flock pretty easily but the moment you started to reload you're deadmeat with the second attack. It lacks the dps without sharpshooter perk, and I only saw Supports can put them in a good use -besides sharp ofc-, because they already have piercing attacks packed in their shotguns.

Mac-10:
As an off-perk weapon it's quite good at least it's better than HC as an off-perk weapon, but you already own mp7m. Why would you want it? Don't hold a strong opinion on it but I guess it would be a nice choice if you run out of mp7 ammunition pretty easily. I doubt that would be viable for higher difficulties thou.

Katana:
A single fire axe is better, period. Katana generally gets paired up with LaR, however I never get used to it. If your team is full zerks you should carry one. Fast for cleaning up trash specimen, for taking down big targets you need some help from others, like zerks or melee medics.

LaR:
Pretty much yes, good for picking awkwardly fast targets like crawlers and gorefasts (if you have time to aim for head), plenty of ammo and good single shot damage. works very well when your team is holed up helps you to headshot some basic targets from away pretty easily. As single damage it still packs a punch.

Crossbow:
So expensive, but deals astounding amount of damage to the big targets, excluding HoE difficulty. in HoE it's kinda useless to carry and only slows you down. Piercing shot is good for picking up anything shorter than husk but taking ranged specimen and big targets are not your job anyway.

M79:
expensive choice again, a close shot would blast away the horde as well as your armor. if a zerker wants to carry it let him be, they have 40% resist and you can heal them up pretty quickly unless they screw up. you shouldn't be playing with explosives unless your team is holed up in a nice place. Once your armor is gone you cannot tank anything. You should carry a melee weapon with it; let it be a katana or fireaxe; since you won't stand too much chance with mp7 if your team ever lets you down.

Fire Axe:
Very viable when your team is holed up, tank big targets do backstab assaults and chip their head health. requires practice to avoid their swings, you must be quick to crouch and tank or fake it then run back. Your friends should spare some space in a limited area to kite big specimen so it requires teamwork too. If you're planning to tank it in a small area by crouching, pair it with LaR or m79. If you play on kiting him in a large area then don't. A good pick for HoE.

Hunting Shotgun:
I won't argue about it, that's the best choice you can get. It's pretty expensive but it deals about 900+ damage with a double blast. It's another choice you can trust even in HoE. As long as you aim right you can use it on FF-on servers too, since you can't pierce specimens at all. Attention taking you say? a HS double barrel blast would do it and pick that enraged Scrake off from that supporter's face, thus giving him time to reload his HS and blast the big boys away.

Chainsaw:
Never managed to put it in a good use. Only for Patriarch rush I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: sph34r
Upvote 0
There are basically 3 loadouts I use about 95% of the time and it depends on whether we're kiting or camping. I personally love playing medic. It's basically a sort of mini-game everytime I play it as I try to deal as much damage possible to the specimens as I can while trying to keep everyone alive. Assume I'm talking about HoE medic unless otherwise stated.

Axe/LAR/MP7M for kiting is obvious in my view. Basically the ability to take on anything possible without much effort, though you might need a friend if you want to take on scrakes. Backhits on a scrake's head will stun them. Kite FPs around by alt firing the axe 2 times successively rather than 1 time as a berserker. LAR for crawlers, husks, sirens. The best all-around loadout I feel.

Machete/DHC/LAR/MP7M for camping. LAR is for generalized killing. DHC is for grabbing attention. Fairly standard I feel.

Machete/Crossbow/MP7M
for a more specialized role. You're to take out sirens and husks so your sharpshooter can save ammo. Fairly simple. Of course, do not shoot at scrakes, you'll just make them rage as you cannot stun them. Do not shoot at FPs unless someone else rages them first. You do terrible damage with the crossbow on FPs unperked.

Now for a "fun" loadout.

Katana/M14EBR/MP7M I'd use more for kiting though I guess you could use it for camping. Just for fun. I feel the Axe/LAR/MP7M is better in almost every way, but you do a great job killing lower tier specimens as the headshot bonus to the M14EBR is huge and will actually kill them off instead of decapping them as would happen if you take, for example, a Scar, a similar weapon. Need 3 hits to kill husks and sirens though. I've used it with success before. Just note the M14 has huge, huge recoil unperked.

Now for some of my thoughts on weapons a medic could use. I won't be factoring in money as logically you would spec into the different perks first to get the weapons on the cheap. There's plenty of money on HoE to get everything offperk even.

Handcannon: Quite useful when camping if specimens come down corridors. Very powerful, great ironsights, will decap many specimens at once. If on suicidal and below, it can replace the LAR since you can body shot crawlers to kill them on those difficulties.

Dual Handcannons: Do not use this to actually kill things. If you are going to use handcannons to actively shoot at things, use the single. Difficult to aim long distance with dualies and they have a very long reload time. use only in a tight situation or to bodyblock/take aggression off a squishier teammate.

Dual 9mm: No.

Lever Action Rifle: The first weapon a medic should get upon entering suicidal and below. You get 200 dosh on suicidal and more on lower difficulties so you have just enough to grab this. On HoE, should grab it as soon as possible as well. I consider this weapon the best offperk weapon available as it allows you to deal with everything short of a scrake or FP quite easily, and it will actually kill and not merely decap. Ability to interrupt reloads is also quite good.

Crossbow: Great for a supportive role as said earlier. Use it to kill a large row of enemies, in particular crawlers, and husks and sirens. Do not try it on scrakes. FPs only when they're raged already.

M14EBR: Decent choice, but not the best. Allows you to solo scrakes. If you have a katana, for example, alongside it, you can solo everything since you will eventually run out of ammo if you only used this. Does require you to be good at aiming with it.

Axe: Great weapon. I would actually recommend taking this over the katana even if you have a berserker to buy you a katana or you had the 1000 dosh for one. The axe is slower, but the difference is that it will kill many things rather than decap. Bodyshots will also kill things in one hit where it would not when using a katana. It will allow you to deal with scrakes if you have a teammate. It will kill FPs faster than a katana.

Katana: As said, I'd recommend an axe instead of this, though if your loadout doesn't have enough space for an axe, the katana will certainly work. It certainly hits faster, which is a definite plus.

Flamethrower: This is an absolutely terrible weapon. You will kill absolutely nothing. You will blind everybody. Never take this weapon, ever.

Mac10: I understand some people like this weapon. I personally don't see the point of it when you can have DHC. The Mac10 is basically an automatic 9mm in terms of power so it's difficult to kill things with it if you are going to use it to kill things. If you're using it to grab aggro, just use DHC since it actually does do decent damage. Plus, it's very similar to the MP7M, so, again, I do not understand the point of using it when there are better options.

M79: Almost never get this. An unperked m79 is pretty terrible and it blind your teammates. If you are someone who constantly blinds your teammates, you're better off standing there doing nothing. You don't even need to heal. You're just better off doing nothing rather than using the m79. This is only in a camping situation. If you're kiting with a large open area, or if you're camping in a spot with a large open area, this changes things. This is usable on crawlers as well as stunning lower level specimens if a teammate is becoming surrounded. On lower difficulties, the M79 does indeed become quite usable since it will actually kill things rather than merely stun them and blind your team. Still, try not to blind your teammates too much.

M32: Toss a few grenades, aim at FP's head/chest, watch FP die. Certainly usable, but if you're the one that needs to take care of FPs, perhaps one of your teammates need to change perks or you should just go demo yourself while taking along an mp7m.

LAW: I don't know what you're thinking.

Bullpup: Not enough damage.

AK: It's okay, but I'd rather have a LAR if I'm going to get a 6 slot ranged weapon since the LAR can take on husks whereas the AK has a bit more difficulty with that.

SCAR: Decent choice. Will decap lower tier specimens with one hit. Has great sights and ammo count. Should use on single shot mode.

Shotgun: Not enough damage nor penetration.

AA12: Possible, but not enough power nor ammo in the hands of a medic. There are better options.

Hunting Shotgun: Absolutely terrible choice. Watch as you kill absolutely nothing with it. Well, I guess you would kill that single clot as an army of gorefasts charge in on you. One of the greatest abilities of the hunting shotgun when a support uses it is it absolutely demolishes an entire hallway of specimens. When you use it offperk on HoE, it'll kill only one or two enemies. The only redeeming factor is you can use it as one of the ways to take on a scrake when you have no armor. Needs a katana alongside it though. Still, should not carry it. Just drop it somewhere in case you need to take care of scrakes alone.

MP7M: Should carry it in your loadout. Your job is primarily to heal. This allows you to heal while far away. So you can potentially help kill things on one side while still able to heal your group on the other side without walking a long distance. Also makes a decent backup weapon. Shouldn't use it primarily though. Very weak, huge recoil, and a long reload time means very few kills and a time when you can't heal.

Upvote 0
Hey!!!!

I remember you. Do you remember that douche on west-london the other day that systematically got the team killed by raging FPs with an offperked crossbow as you tried to save them?

Your armor made you quite difficult to get killed so I had to drop $3000 on an offperk M32 to rage FPs more easily.

Yes, I think you might be getting bored of the game. Good fun though. I think we got decently far even with your antics.

Upvote 0
Oh, no. I like this game quite a bit. You joined a bit late so you missed out on how "spectacular" the team was to begin with.

You know, when the demo starts going for scrakes and the sharp takes 4 bolts to kill a husk, I just say the hell with it and start trolling.

I'll avoid it when you're around though, I didn't realize you weren't derp.

Upvote 0
In general I don't like buying expensive/high maintenance weapons as a medic (Scar, AA12, Xbow, etc). The reason for this is because I feel that money can be used more effectively by another perk. I try and find the cheapest loadout that will allow me to perform my role as medic effectively, which is to heal, protect my squad, and occasionally watch a flank. The money spent on tier 3 weapons is better off going to a demo for pipe bombs, sharpie for extra xbows, a person who just died/joined, etc. If you want to be able to kill more effectively you're probably better off playing another perk with the MP7 for the occasional heal.

Two exceptions that come to mind are Biohazard (where I take an M32 as medic to watch the back door) and berserker games (M32 + Katana + MP7 ftw!). When a game is going super smoothly and everyone has 4000

Upvote 0
In general I don't like buying expensive/high maintenance weapons as a medic (Scar, AA12, Xbow, etc). The reason for this is because I feel that money can be used more effectively by another perk. I try and find the cheapest loadout that will allow me to perform my role as medic effectively, which is to heal, protect my squad, and occasionally watch a flank. The money spent on tier 3 weapons is better off going to a demo for pipe bombs, sharpie for extra xbows, a person who just died/joined, etc. If you want to be able to kill more effectively you're probably better off playing another perk with the MP7 for the occasional heal.

Two exceptions that come to mind are Biohazard (where I take an M32 as medic to watch the back door) and berserker games (M32 + Katana + MP7 ftw!). When a game is going super smoothly and everyone has 4000

Upvote 0
Oh, no. I like this game quite a bit. You joined a bit late so you missed out on how "spectacular" the team was to begin with.

You know, when the demo starts going for scrakes and the sharp takes 4 bolts to kill a husk, I just say the hell with it and start trolling.

I'll avoid it when you're around though, I didn't realize you weren't derp.

I see. I have a friend that's similar. I allow him to get really terrible players killed if they don't listen to our objections, but I would still like to win the game after that. Players typically leave after they get killed right at the beginning of the round a few times, and it does get more fun as you try to make up for the other player's extra specimens. Honestly though, it gets easier even with their extras as FPs now don't need a handcannon + 3 bolts to kill.

You're right though. I still don't understand how it seems like there's one player in every game we play that likes to grenade scrakes, even though there happens to be a sharpshooter that's magically stunning and killing them everytime. You'd think they'd understand that if they just left the scrake be, it would be fine, but nope. I'd like to get into their heads, but it's hard to understand. "Grenading a scrake gets me hit. Not grenading leaves me with full health. I should obviously grenade the scrake." Makes no sense. Though I suppose it's because they've very rarely played with a sharpshooter that can handle every single scrake that comes through in a wave without them ever rushing, or perhaps they don't understand that what they did on hard difficulty might not work on HoE. It just seems like I see too much of that though. Surely they would understand how HoE works after a few games. It just doesn't seem like they do. Definition of insanity I guess.

Upvote 0