• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More rifles in Realism mode

Leo4444

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2006
Las Vegas
I tried the realism mode and the relaxed realism 64 player servers and noticed smgs everywhere! So I wondered why and checked the Role select.
6 Assault
3 elite riflemen
4 Mgs
2 Snipers
4 Squad leaders
1 Commander
6+3+4+2+4+1=20 vs 12 bolt action riflemen

Shouldnt there be more bolt action riflemen? If there is going to be 4 squad leaders(which is a lot) then there should only be 2 in assault class and 2 elite riflemen, 3 mgs, 1 sniper etc. What do you guys think? Im not really flaming since these should be customizable(not sure) just want to hear some opinions.

I agree; the bolt-action-to-auto/semi-auto ratio is way too low. Too many autos and semi-autos makes the game much tougher for the bolt-action riflemen. I don't know if it was like that IRL, but I wouldn't think so.

There is a HL: Source mod called Resistance and Liberation that is similar to RO in gameplay, and players complained about the same issue. The way they addressed this problem was to keep a high ratio of bolts to all others using this solution:

When the ratio of bolt-action-to-auto/semi-auto weapons started to get too low, the auto and semi-auto classes would be locked down and only the bolt-action rifleman class could be selected by incoming players. Only when the ratio became appropriately proportional would players be allowed to select other classes.

This would be a simple fix for RO2, and highly appropriate in hardcore realism mode.

Upvote 0
I agree; the bolt-action-to-auto/semi-auto ratio is way too low. Too many autos and semi-autos makes the game much tougher for the bolt-action riflemen. I don't know if it was like that IRL, but I wouldn't think so.

There is a HL: Source mod called Resistance and Liberation that is similar to RO in gameplay, and players complained about the same issue. The way they addressed this problem was to keep a high ratio of bolts to all others using this solution:

When the ratio of bolt-action-to-auto/semi-auto weapons started to get too low, the auto and semi-auto classes would be locked down and only the bolt-action rifleman class could be selected by incoming players. Only when the ratio became appropriately proportional would players be allowed to select other classes.

This would be a simple fix for RO2, and highly appropriate in hardcore realism mode.

thats a good idea but i doubt it will be added. TW should just decrease smgs,semi's across the board in realism and leave it the same in relaxed i guess.

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem with it.

I think its change with the Map. Rifles are good at free field fights, SMG's are good in housefights.

If the Map has a lot of house fights, the people would take smg. on free field, the people would change SMG.

And i personaly find SMG la lot bether then the rifle.

Upvote 0
It would be harder for us to do, since it would mean our servers would be forcing the players to download duplicates of all the standard maps, and i forsee a lot of players getting very annoyed at that prospect..

That is a very good point you are making. I would hate having 6 duplicaties with the only difference an extra rifleman or other class..
Especially since my HDD is not that big.

Upvote 0
not to mention that elite riflemen can also select smg's, which to be honest makes no f***ing sense because smg's are not rifles...

I think it's to fill in for the lack of an elite assault class in the beta. But anyways I agree with the OP. Only on full servers are all the SMG roles ever taken. I've rarely ever actually had to select the rifleman slot. IMO something like

3 Assault
2 MGers
1 Marksman
2 Elite Riflemen
3 Squad Leaders
1 Commander

So 3+2+1+2+3+1=12 vs 20 bolt action rifles would work much better than the way it is now.

Upvote 0
My 2 solutions:

1. There's 4 12 man squads on a team that has max 32 people. Plus engies and assault squad. That means there's 4 squad leaders to pick so there's more smg's. If you drop it to 3 squads, or even 2 plus assault/engies, there's less spread in the squads as everyone wants to have to be squad leader or machine-gunner so you end up with an 8-man team on 4 squads all with smg's and lmg's or whatever it is you wanted.

2. Game starts with only one squad open. When 1st squad is 3/4 full or something (so that you don't have to have a full squad and a 1-man squad) a second opens up. This actually solves two problems, because it means that if you just joined, there's a chance that a new squad just opened up and you can have a non-rifleman class, so the faster computers aren't always the winners. Snipers, tank commander and engies would only open up after both teams are half-full or something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, mapmakers determine the slots in the game.

As far as I understand modes or settings have nothing to do with the amount of special classes.

I agree with OP though, there are way too many special weapons. I hope some mapmakers like a more immersive distribution of weapons, because I'm planning to play those.

Upvote 0