• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

character is so small isnt it?

I honestly don't notice this problem in game, but that's just me. Those screenshots look bad but it doesn't feel like that when I'm playing. Maybe just a perspective issue?

Certainly wont affect my enjoyment of it anyway.

Quite honestly, this is me too. I still really haven't noticed it ingame and its only this thread where I see it.

Upvote 0
Seriously though, there a lot more important things to fix and implement than this.

I agree when it comes to CTD's ect but this is a big immersion killer for me now...Fallen fighters trams look ridiculous....infact now I'm aware of it at times it is just to noticeable...IF it had just been the maps fair enough map makers can sort that out...but it's weapons aswell.

Upvote 0
OK...I did freeze the footage where a guy was going though the door and then compared it to some footage I have of (gasp) CoD and could see the difference. If time permits I might try to get stills of RO2, CoD and BFBC2 for comparison and post them. Remember too...this could possibly be an engine issue. One thing that has been brought up is it's unlikely much can be done at this point...still...I'm curious to see the comparison.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TWI guys right now: "Oh snap they noticed it!"

fuuuuuuuu.jpg

Upvote 0
This type of thing has been common ever since mods for Quake 1. One reason is because ID Software were first with their (very) arcady shooters where one ran at 50km/h or more. Anything approaching real scale would just fly past like on the freeway. Another reason was the big collision boxes. Player models could not fit (either at all, or only with great effort) through normal sized doorways.

Why it is like that here I don't know. Possibly a mistake was made when determining the scale in their 3D object modeling software and how it converted to the scale of the Unreal engine. Collision boxes are better now than the past so that is not as big of a problem anymore, but is probably a contributing factor to oversized doorways and windows. Running speeds are not an issue.

I don't know how much technical problems are in the way of trying to remedy this issue. It may be impossible to alter the size of the player, meaning that the maps must be altered. But with things built around the cover system means just rescaling a whole map may be impossible (probably would be impossible even if no cover system existed).

There may be a feasable fix

Resize only certain parts of the map manually. The lower height of walls and windows need to remain as high as they are now due to cover system. But the height and width of doorways and windows can be shrunk. No one is going to notice windows looking smaller than in some original photo and not doorways either. Some of the most obvious props that are wrong like the tram wagon on Fallen Heroes can most likely be fixed also. It may not even be such a colossal job to do these cosmetic edits in time.

Upvote 0
Myself I never really notice it even after its been called out and many of you guys wouldn't have if it wasnt for this thread lol.It never effects my gameplay but,then again I don't just look for examples of it around every corner.Now that I know it exists the only time it stuck me as odd is in the 3rd person view running upstairs.

Alot of games have this problem to a certain extent just during the action of game play its not noticed or isn't called out so you don't just go looking for it.I respect TWI for not deleting this thread.They really are a rare bunch in today's world of money hungry sell out developers that care more about what their publisher thinks that their fans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it is made, it would be the third game I've played with a kitchen map in it. What is it with FPS players and giant kitchens?

Only three? So called Rat maps used to be in practically every FPS game released in the mid to late 90s.

That said, considering it doesn't hinder gameplay (and makes throwing grenades through windows much easier) I wouldn't suggest that this needs "fixing", not to mention it'd make for one big-*** patch, even a tiny change will force you to redownload the entire map, so yeah, considering how many maps in this game have buildings I'm not really in favour of this. =p

Upvote 0
Hmm looks like I was blind to this problem until this thread :) What do you think about this Guys?

z9256414X,Battlefield-3.jpg

call-of-duty-2-627-1.jpg

call_of_duty_2_01.jpg

rrshot0065.jpg

BF3 one looks correct to me, if the soldier leaves crouch he'll be adult-sized in relation to the doorframe. Remember, residential doorframes are about 210cm, or 6'10''.

Of the COD2 ones, one may just look a bit off (the russian interrogation scene), the guy at the door. Then again, nowhere as jarring as:

K6bz1.jpg

Caen one looks fine, the handle is at waist height, it's just a large door. Last one has the german clearly placed lower than the door, so I can't tell. Plus, his legs seem to be clipping the ground.

All of these still look more convincing than the RO2 scales to me, though. Not to derail the thread, but you'd need pics of more COD2/BF3 map assets looking oversized to actually have a point.

---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm looks like I was blind to this problem until this thread :) What do you think about this Guys?

z9256414X,Battlefield-3.jpg

Well, it's obvious. People in Islamic countries are all 10 feet tall.

call-of-duty-2-627-1.jpg

See above. It explains a lot.

call_of_duty_2_01.jpg

This is actually the only picture here that looks in proper perspective.

rrshot0065.jpg

He's Japanese, of course he's going to be like 2 feet tall...

lol5char

Upvote 0
As an amateur in this field of expertise...id say proportions are just as...if not more important than fine skin wrinkles etc...its the MAJORITY of what your seeing.

All they have to do is scale up the characters/weapons right?

This will f blank blank blank uck alot of people off though...anyways...lets hope this is just propoganda against 1 of the finest dev teams in history thus far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0